Robert Daniel - Former Argyle Chairman. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Robert Daniel - Former Argyle Chairman.

Nov 23, 2015
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if he is still with us ? He was Chairman in the early / mid 1970's.

I know Peter Skinnard, his Vice-Chairman sadly passed away a while ago, but have never heard anything about Mr Daniel.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I never met Robert Daniel but I spent some valuable hours with the other man the OP mentions - PW Skinnard Esq. Even towards the end of his life he was still working in the family law business in Callington. I had to go there for any interviews I wanted to conduct. He always put a limit on our time together but five minutes of him speaking was worth 15 with many other people. Everything I heard and saw convinced me that this was a man who in his prime would have needed 36 hour days and eight day weeks. At one time Argyle could not get a Secretary and he performed that role in addition to his "day job" and still made it to every single Board meeting. As we got to know each other better he asked me to facilitate the disposal of his Argyle memorabilia to a "trustworthy collector". In his office there was a chest of drawers containing some marvellous items, especially some of the correspondence from supporters, a full set of original Board minutes for the periods he was on the Board and the original directors' passes. I considered it a real privilege to be given a whole day to look through it. The items are now safe with a well-respected keeper of Argyle memorabilia.
Mr Skinnard's funeral said much about the life he had led. The village of Pillaton was overwhelmed. I got there very early yet still listened to the service in a hall across the road from the full to capacity Church.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Memory Man.... another old story about life under Daniel and Skinnard which you may have heard....back in the 1960's Malcolm Allison who was the Argyle manager at the time left Argyle for Manchester City and he wanted to take Duncan Neale the Argyle wing half with him...Daniel wanted £27K transfer fee and City would not pay that price,so Duncan remained at Argyle,and City went on to sign their second choice Colin Bell from Bury....

Memory Man, I never knew Mr. Skinnard but I was a work colleague of his daughter Bethany until recently and, if you don't mind, I will send her a transcript of your tribute which I am sure she will find very touching.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
oddball":1mrh47bp said:
Memory Man.... another old story about life under Daniel and Skinnard which you may have heard....back in the 1960's Malcolm Allison who was the Argyle manager at the time left Argyle for Manchester City and he wanted to take Duncan Neale the Argyle wing half with him...Daniel wanted £27K transfer fee and City would not pay that price,so Duncan remained at Argyle,and City went on to sign their second choice Colin Bell from Bury....
Wow, I never knew that! Duncan would have been disappointed as in those days he felt he did not always get a fair crack of the whip. Coincidentally in February 1964 Colin Bell actually made his Bury debut against Man City, around three weeks after his 18th birthday. The following season, when big Mal was in charge of Argyle, he would have seen Bell at close quarters on three occasions. On 06 Oct 1964 at Gigg Lane Argyle triumphed 2-0. 8 days later Argyle returned north for a League Cup 3rd round tie, with Doug Baird scoring the only goal. Then on 24 April 1965 Bury came to Home Park and got a 2-2 draw. Colin Bell and Duncan Neale played in all three games (as did Tony Book). The match with Bury turned out to be the last of that Allison spell at Home Park - I seem to recall that the Board wanted him to drop Dwyer and pick Leiper but he refused and then resigned.

I really wish there was a like facility on here, some wonderful memories shared. Thank you.

I honestly thought Robert Daniel had died. I was at school with his sons who were serious surf dudes even in the 70s!

Chancellor":19cxk301 said:
I really wish there was a like facility on here, some wonderful memories shared. Thank you.

I honestly thought Robert Daniel had died. I was at school with his sons who were serious surf dudes even in the 70s!

Didn't one of his lads own a surfing shop in the Notte Street area ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

TinTin":143pks7g said:
Chancellor":143pks7g said:

Didn't one of his lads own a surfing shop in the Notte Street area ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

they did, Steve I think. Or was it Chris?

Sep 17, 2010
I used to work for him in his (warehouse) cash'n'carry down in Millbay docks. Every month in the post there were complimentary tickets, I knew the envelope (and the postie) which came in handy as the pay wasn't all that back in the 70's. I got the sack in the end when 3 of us were caught drinking a can of Coke from a broken pack. YES 3 OF US..1 CAN OF COKE. Tight or what ???????? His wife Rita was a bit of a looker. As far as I can remember his 2 sons were a couple of muppets, posh kids spending daddies money. 1 opened a surfing shop down the Barbican. Not sure what they are up to these days???

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Wasn't Robert Daniel quite a big cheese with the FA back in the sixties, which is why Home Park played host to several Englandrepresentative games back then?