Pre-season games, squad list & latest news | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pre-season games, squad list & latest news

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013
This thread will close the day before the season starts.

Pre-season friendly games

St Blazey 0 - 9 Argyle. Saturday 9 July.
Tavistock 2 - 7 Argyle. Tuesday 12 July.
Bovey Tracey 0 - 6 Argyle. Wednesday 13 July.
Torquay United 1 - 1 Argyle. Saturday 16 July.
Truro City 0 - 2 Argyle. Tuesday 19 July.
Elburton Villa 0 -12 Argyle. Wednesday 20 July.
Weymouth Town 1 - 1 Argyle. Saturday 23 July.
Dutch training camp 24 July - 29 July. MVV Maastricht 1 - 2 Argyle. Geusselt Stadium,Tuesday 26 July.
Argyle 0 - 0 West Bromwich Albion. Saturday 30 July.

The players return for pre-season training on Friday 1 July.

Players under contract for season 2016-2017

Keepers
21 Vincent Dorel
23 Luke McCormick
25 Marc McCallum

Defenders
2 Gary Miller
3 Gary Sawyer
4 Yann Songo'o
5 Nauris Bulvitis - sponsored by Pasoti
15 Sonny Bradley
16 Ben Purrington
19 Karleigh Osborne

Midfielders
6 Connor Smith
10 Graham Carey
11 Ryan Donaldson
18 Oscar Threlkeld (can also play at right-back).
22 David Ijaha
24 David Fox

Strikers
7 David Goodwillie
8 Jordan Slew
9 Jimmy Spencer
14 Jake Jervis
20 Louis Rooney
17 Ryan Brunt (currently injured, expected return in December)

Trialists
Josh Lelan - right wing-back.
Callum Preston - keeper.
Jordan Clark - midfielder. Signs for Accrington.

The Departed

Peter Hartley to Bristol Rovers.
James Bittner to Newport County.
Gregg Wylde to Millwall.
Curtis Nelson to Oxford United.
Kelvin Mellor to Blackpool.
Carl McHugh to Motherwell.
Reuben Reid held talks with Shrewsbury.
Tyler Harvey to Wrexham.
Cory Harvey on trial at Torquay.
Deane Smalley on trial at Morecambe and York.
Callum Hall on trial at Bath City and Torquay.

News

Monday 6 June

The Herald publishes a leaked fixture list. The Football League had already confirmed the fixture list was a hoax.

Tuesday 7 June

The Harper's Park training area is being upgraded. The improvements include better drainage and security. Link

Rod Stewart will play a concert at Home Park tonight.

Former manager's in Scotland talk about Argyle and getting back into management:
Stuart McCall - “If you look at John Sheridan in England he left Oldham and dropped a division. It doesn’t matter what level you go to - just as long as there’s a good structure and fan base.
“Derek Adams is at Plymouth, where there is a huge fan base, and if you get that club going you can go up two levels. I’ve had enough time out now. I’m not desperate yet but I want to get back into coaching players."

Alex McLeish - “I saw Derek Adams speaking the other day about his owner at Plymouth and what a good relationship they had. That’s what I’m seeking – not Derek’s job – but I have to be able to work with the people above, discuss things."

Wednesday 8 June

Former Argyle midfielder Lee Hodges returns to Truro City as manager and will be assisted by Rory Fallon as player/coach.

The club has been awarded the Football League Family Excellence award Link

Thursday 9 June

The Football League release some statistics for season 2015-2016:
From the 72 league clubs Argyle were ranked joint 6th overall for results, joint 14th for home results and joint 6th for away results.
16 clubs picked up more points in away games than at home - Argyle were ranked 9th, 42 points away, 39 points at home. Of these 16 clubs 10 were in League Two.
Argyle were joint 8th from 72 for the fewest away defeats (5) and joint 14th for most away goals (33).

Friday 10 June

BBC Humberside reports that Peter Hartley is in talks with Grimsby Town.

Four away games have been added to the pre-season schedule; two first team games at St Blazey and Tavistock and two reserve team games at Bovey Tracey and Elburton Villa.

The League Trophy, formerly known as the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, will change for next season - The one season trial for season 2016/17 will include 64 teams made up of League One and Two clubs, plus an additional 16 Premier League academy/under-21 sides.
The competition will see the introduction of a new group stage format with 16 regional groups of four teams. The top two teams will progress to the knockout stages of the competition with the final staged at Wembley Stadium in April 2017.

Saturday 11 June

The club reveal the home kit for the new season - Link

Monday 13 June

Jordon Forster is expected to sign a two year contract with Hibs when he returns from holiday. Forster received a phone call from new manager Neil Lennon informing him he was a big part of his plans.
Edinburgh News

Tuesday 14 June

The club reveal the away kit for the new season - Link

Former loan signing Jamille Matt signs a two year contract with Blackpool.

Thursday 16 June

Coach and reserve goalkeeper James Bittner leaves Argyle to take up the same two roles at Newport County.

CEO Marytn Starnes gives an update on transfers, the pitch and why the club voted for the new format of the Football League Trophy - club website

Argyle make their first signing of the summer, former Cambridge midfielder Ryan Donaldson, 25, joins the club - club website

Peter Hartley signs for League One side Bristol Rovers.

The Nottingham Post reports that Notts County are not interested in signing Reuben Reid.

Friday 17 June

Newspaper reports in Scotland say Argyle are one of a number of clubs interested in signing Dundee United striker Ryan Dow.

Derek Adams talks to the club website about new signings...
"We have been very active, working on signing new players for next season.
"Over the next week or two we will have announcements to make about new signings - we'll be busy from that point of view.
"We have a situation where we were in the play-off final at the end of May; we have to wait until June 30 for some players to give us answers. I've been looking to strengthen the team to replace players leaving the football club.

"We had a number of loan signings last year, they need to be replaced. We are looking to have more permanent signings this year than we did last year."
Link

New signing Ryan Donaldson spoke to the club website about his move...
“It has been a long summer trying to get things sorted, but as soon as I spoke to the manager and came down here, I just wanted to get it done as soon as possible. Now it’s done so I can look forward to pre-season and meeting all the boys.
“It’s just the size of the club at this level; it’s one of the biggest clubs without doubt and as soon as I learned of the interest I wanted to come. You don’t get many opportunities like this at a club this size so it was a deal I wanted to get done.
“I spoke to a few clubs but once I heard there was interest from Plymouth it was just a case of coming down as soon as possible and it was the only offer I listened to in the end to be honest. I am really proud to be here.”
Link

Sunday 19 June

Argyle sign former Ross County and Blackburn Rovers defender Yann Songo'o - club website

Monday 20 June

Derek Adams talks to the club website about new signing Yann Songo'o and further new signings....
"Yann came in from Blackburn Rovers on loan while I was at my previous club. He can play in defence or in defensive midfield. He is good on the ball, quick, good in the air and strong in the tackle.
“His age – 24 - also makes him a good signing.
“He was with us for a number of months at the end of the season. He will have benefited from being around the place.”.

“We have a number of agreements (with new players). But we will wait for the contracts to be signed.
“Come pre-season on July 1 I expect to see a lot of new faces."
Club website

Adams spoke to the BBC about the players from last season who have been offered new contracts...
"They have until the end of June to come back with an answer to the contract we've put in front of them. Some of them have and we'll hopefully have news very soon.

"It's a time where it's difficult because they have the 28 days to accept or reject the contract.
"But it hasn't stopped me going out and recruiting new players for the season ahead."

Tuesday 21 June

Derek Adams tells the Herald former loan player Craig Tanner will not be returning to Home Park because he would like to break into the first team squad at Reading.

Former AFC Wimbledon midfielder Connor Smith signs for Argyle. The 23-year old played against the Greens at Wembley in the play-off final.
Club website.

Wednesday 22 June

The Star newspaper in Yorkshire reports that Barnsley have made a contract offer to Curtis Nelson.

The League Two fixtures are released and Argyle start the new season with a home game against Luton Town, the Greens will play Blackpool away on August Bank Holiday weekend, the away game against Exeter is on Saturday 17 September and the home game is Saturday 11 February.
The Boxing Day game is at home versus Wycombe.
Full fixture list is on the club website

Argyle release a statement about Curtis Nelson...
"Following newspaper reports linking Barnsley with our captain, Curtis Nelson, we can confirm that we have rejected a derisory offer from them for the player.
“Curtis remains under contract to us and any approach to him without our approval would be in contravention of EFL rules".

Thursday 23 June

According to The Star Barnsley are continuing their bid for Curtis Nelson....
The latest from The Star...
The Reds are continuing their pursuit of out-of-contract Plymouth Argyle defender Curtis Nelson.
A bid has been lodged with the Pilgrims who have offered the player a new deal to stay at Home Park.

Former Partick Thistle right-back Gary Miller signs for Argyle. The 29-year old won promotion at Ross County under manager Derek Adams.
Club website

Derek Adams has held talks with former loanee Oscar Threlkeld but the player is also talking to clubs near his base in the north west.
Threlkeld was released by Bolton at the end of last season.

Young striker Louis Rooney signs a new contract.

Friday 24 June

Former Bristol City defender Karleigh Osbourne signs for Argyle. The 28-year old commanding centre-back was released by City at the end of last season. Club website

Goalkeeper Luke McCormick signs a new contract.

Saturday 25 June

Former Ross County and Blackburn Rovers striker Jordan Slew signs for Argyle. The tall and pacy 23-year old has also played for Chesterfield and Cambridge.
Club website

Winger Gregg Wylde signs a two year contract for League One side Millwall.
"I'm delighted to have signed. It's been a frustrating few weeks after the Play-Off Final with Plymouth. I'm so pleased to be here, and with Neil Harris as well. He really sold the club to me and came to watch me play a few times too."

Derek Adams gives an interesting interview to BBC Scotland .....
Link

Sunday 26 June

Millwall manager Neal Harris said scouts watched Gregg Wylde seven or eight times last season...
“Gregg came to light last year when we played down there in the JPT and he gave us a bit of a torrid time for the first half hour.
"We watched him another seven or eight times and every time he was highly recommended. He is an out and out left winger, likes to get down the flank and get crosses into the box.

“He is an old fashioned type of player who Millwall fans will enjoy watching.
"It is great to have him on board and is a statement of intent because I want attacking players on the pitch.”
Link

Tuesday 28 June

Defender/midfielder Ben Purrington signs a new contract.

Wednesday 29 June

Striker Ryan Brunt signs a new contract.

Argyle sign 29-year old Latvian international centre-back Nauris Bulvitis.
Club website

Argyle sign 24-year old striker Jimmy Spencer.
Club website

Argyle sign 27-year old striker David Goodwillie.
Club website

Thursday 30 June

The club website has an interview with new signing Jimmy Spencer...
"I think it was about three or four weeks back that negotiations started; we’ve just been trying to get something sorted, and trying to get something between me, the club and my family that’s right for us all."
Link

And also an interview with Jordan Slew....
"You’ve got a great manager in Derek Adams. I had him before at Ross County and he was fantastic with me. I can’t wait to start working for him again.
"I had a fantastic time. He’s a fantastic manager with a proven record. That was a massive reason why I came here. I know the manager has got faith in me and I’ve got faith in him, as well. It’s a great duo.

"I’ve known about the move for a couple of week now, so it’s been about preparing to come down here. I can’t wait to get started."
Link

And now there's an interview with David Goodwillie.....
"I know of a few players in the squad and hopefully that will make it easier for me to bed in and settle a bit more. I know Graham Carey from doing a pre-season at Dundee United with him, so I know how good he is. It will be good to catch up with these boys that I’ve not seen for a while."

Link

And Gary Miller.....
"I spoke to the gaffer and he told me his plan, his outlook for the season and what he was hoping to achieve, which is something I was interested in. I'm looking forward to obviously working with the management team again that I've worked with before - it was quite influential for me. It was an easy decision in the end."
Link

Barnsley are reported to have ended their pursuit in signing Curtis Nelson, other clubs are now showing an interest.

Friday 1 July

New midfield signing Connor Smith talks to the club website....
"They like to get the ball down, which I like to do,” he said. “It was really a no-brainer: the style of football; how well they played last year; how well they did in the league. Once I knew the interest was there, it didn’t take too long to know what was going to happen."
Link

Goalkeeper Vincent Dorel signs a new contract.

A photo of the players at the first day of training is posted on the club twitter account.
CmRM1VCUsAEgKhs.jpg:small

New signing Yann Songo'o talks to the club website....
"Last season we had a really, really good squad. The environment in the dressing room was unbelievable. I think that's what made me think that this year I wanted to be here.
"Before I came here, no disrespect but I didn't know the history of this club, because I'm not from England. When I came here and I saw, I was really surprised at this history of this club, and I think in the future this club will get in a really good position, hopefully to get back where they used to be in the Championship."
Link

The game against Portsmouth at Fratton Park has been moved to Good Friday, 14 April.

Saturday 2 July

Carl McHugh verbally agrees to sign a new contract.

Luton Town manager Nathan Jones talks about the first game of the season at Home Park....
"It’s a difficult start in terms of Plymouth away after the two seasons they’ve had, they’ve been play off contenders for two seasons now.

"They narrowly missed out on promotion, taking small steps themselves. It’s a difficult opening fixture, but we’ve got to pay them some time.
"If you go down to Home Park on a nice summers day, with a good pitch, then it’s not a bad fixture."

Derek Adams tells the media Reuben Reid, Curtis Nelson, Kelvin Mellor and Tyler Harvey have rejected new contract offers and will leave the club...
"Curtis Nelson, Kelvin Mellor, Reuben Reid and Tyler Harvey have decided to not accept the terms that were here and decided to move on."

Former loanee Oscar Threlkeld returns to Argyle.

Sunday 3 July

Tyler Harvey releases a statement after leaving the club....
"I would like to thank a lot of the people behind the scenes at the club as I have grown close to them over the years.

"I would also like to thank the youth system as they did everything in their power to get me into the first team and a huge thank you has got to go to the fans, as they have fully backed me since I made my debut.

"I have never given anything but 110 per cent to my home club, day-in-day-out, but unfortunately I haven't the opportunity to show what I was fully capable of.

Monday 4 July

Derek Adams talks to the club website about new and old players...
“The ones that have moved on have been here over the last couple of seasons where they have done really well to put themselves in a position but, at the final hurdle, they have failed. I think it’s good for them to move on and for us to move on, as well.”
“Everybody set out the targets that were going to be coming to the football club at the start of June, and we were able to get the majority of the targets we were after.

“This summer, I have been able to take in more players. To be in the position we are today...I’ve got to be happy with that. We’ve still got two or three to go, permanently, then we’ll look at the loan signings.
“What I’m looking for is to get competition for places in the team; we didn’t have that last year. There were a number of areas when there wasn’t competition for places and that probably affected us during the campaign because some players knew they were going to play week in week out because they didn’t have competition.

“This year, you need somebody behind you who is going to be pushing you all the way. I am getting to a position where I feel I’ve got cover in all positions.”
Link

Curtis Nelson signs for Oxford United in League One.

Kelvin Mellor signs for Blackpool.

Tuesday 5 July

Carl McHugh, who agreed a contract just two days ago, signs for Scottish Premier League side Motherwell. Argyle release a club statement in response.
“We understand that Motherwell Football Club will today announce that they have signed Carl McHugh despite the fact that contract terms for him to extend his contract with Plymouth Argyle were agreed in writing between Argyle’s CEO Martyn Starnes, Carl, and Carl's agent Sky Andrew last Friday.

"Carl subsequently confirmed in a telephone call with manager Derek Adams that he was planning to travel back to Home Park on Monday for pre-season training.
"However, on Monday morning, we were advised by Carl’s agent that he had been contacted by another club over the weekend and that Carl had expressed a wish to speak with them.

"We have now been informed that Carl has decided to join the Scottish Premiership team.
"We are extremely disappointed that Carl has changed his mind and chosen to join Motherwell after he had previously given his agent the authority to extend his contract with Argyle."

Link

Wednesday 6 July

The agent for Reuben Reid, Christopher Adedeji, talks to the Herald...
"We are not rushing. We are weighing up every option.
"Reuben doesn't have to panic whether we have teams or not. We know we have teams.
"But we have to see which is the right team where he can enjoy his football."

"We are talking to a few League One teams. I won't name names though.
"Since it has become known that Reuben is leaving Plymouth I have had got a lot of calls from teams.
"We have a few teams in Europe that we are talking to also – in Spain and Germany."

"We don't care about what division it is in, as long as the team have ambition and they want to do something.
"It's also important that the coach really wants Reuben. We are not waiting to make the most money.
"We are waiting to find the right club, for football reasons, for his family, for everything, so that Reuben will be happy as he moves onto the next step in his career.

"A lot of people are aware of his talent. He's still one of the best strikers around – everyone knows that."

Thursday 7 July

Reuben Reid talks to the Herald about his time at Argyle....
"My main gripe about being at Argyle was that at the business end of the last two seasons I wasn't able to help the team in the play-offs. That has been the only disappointment.
"I'm sure if I had stayed fit this last season I don't think we would have needed the play-offs with the form I was in. It was an unfortunate situation where I got injured.
"And, obviously, we all know from the play-offs the previous year I was carrying a foot injury as well."

"To be in the play-offs for two years and then not be able to get promoted was heartbreaking, but it is what it is I guess.
"We were flying last Christmas and we thought we would have walked the league but then things changed for whatever reason and we didn't quite there."

"I have scored an abundance of goals and hit good form.
"Derek Adams felt like he wanted to work with a new group and I wish the guys all the best.
"I think he can get best out of the players and hopefully get Argyle back to where they should be."

"At times, I have played better football at other clubs. In my season at Rotherham I was on fire.
"But when Sheridan was at Argyle I was able to form a good partnership with Lewis Alessandra and we had a good side.
"I have had a good time. I wouldn't want to say I have played my best football anywhere, but I enjoyed it there."

"After a brilliant move to West Brom, you get a bit disillusioned with football, and what not, and then you don't hit form.
"Argyle was the club where I was able to come back, play consistent football and show everyone what I can do.
"The aim now is to kick on. I'm coming into my best years.
"At times last season I felt a lot of things were coming together, especially before my injury against Accrington. There is so much more to come."

"I want to thank the fans for their support. They have always been good to me."

BBC Devon reports that Argyle are interested in signing Peterborough midfielder Jack Payne.

Argyle release the player squad numbers for the new season:
2 Gary Miller
3 Gary Sawyer
4 Yann Songo'o
5 Nauris Bulvitis
6 Connor Smith
7 David Goodwillie
8 Jordan Slew
9 Jimmy Spencer
10 Graham Carey
11 Ryan Donaldson
14 Jake Jervis
16 Ben Purrington
17 Ryan Brunt
18 Oscar Threlkeld
19 Karleigh Osborne
20 Louis Rooney
21 Vincent Dorel
23 Luke McCormick

Friday 8 July

Derek Adams tells the media he would like another four or five signings, which could be three or four permanent signings plus one or two loan players.

Ginsters are confirmed as the new shirt sponsor. The Cornish company have modified their distinctive red logo for the away shirt, changing to white text on a green background.
Club website

Last season's shirt sponsor, LTC, will now sponsor the Argyle Academy...
Club website

Saturday 9 July

Derek Adams said he will take a full first team squad to play St Blazey today. Argyle will wear the new away kit because St Blazey play in green and black shirts.

Argyle win 9-0 in the first pre-season game against St Blazey. The goals came from Jake Jervis (3), David Goodwillie (2), Jordan Slew (2) and one each from Ben Purrington and Jimmy Spencer.
The team played a new formation of three centre-backs and two wing-backs and Gary Sawyer was named as captain.

Sunday 10 July

Tyler Harvey plays as a second half trialist for the Newcastle United under-21 team in a match against Bradford Park Avenue.

Monday 11 July

Gordon Sparks is taking a one season break from Argyle radio commentary.
Club website

The ticket office has a new toll-free phone number .... 01752 907700
Club website

Tickets have gone on sale for the pre-season friendly against West Bromwich Albion at Home Park on Saturday 30 July, ko 5.30pm.
Adult: £10
Over 65/18-21: £8
Under 18: £1.

Ticket prices for the game against Truro City on 19 July have been announced:
Adult: £10
Concession (over 65): £8
Under 18s / Student: £5
Under 12s (with an adult): Free.

Argyle sign former Crawley and Portsmouth centre-back Sonny Bradley.
Club website

Tuesday 12 July

New signing Sonny Bradley talks about his move to Home Park....
"It’s a massive club – there’s no two ways about that.
"When I’ve come with teams, it has always been an intimidating place to come. Now, I’m on the good side of the fence, which is probably a good thing.
"I’m looking forward to playing here. Normally, when I come here, I’m usually the bad guy; nobody likes me –I’m about winding people up and getting stuck in – so, hopefully, they’ll support me."

"Within five minutes, we’d agreed on something – there was no negotiation about money or anything; what I got offered, I accepted straight away.
"I spoke to the manager the following day just to confirm everything, made my way down, and got stuck into training. It’s been a good start and I’m happy."

"The quality of the players he’s brought in...they are very good players. There’s some good experience in there. There are quite a few games coming up, so we can gel quickly and, come the first game, we’ll be flying.
"I had a brief conversation with my agent about how he thinks Plymouth are going to do this season and he thinks the same as me – that Plymouth are going to have another successful season, so joining was an opportunity that I could not pass on.
Club website

Former Argyle striker Nick Chadwick is appointed under-18 coach at Wigan Athletic.

Argyle win 7-2 against Tavistock in the second pre-season game of the summer. The goals were scored by Spencer, Jervis, Rooney, Carey, Goodwillie and two from 18-year old Alex Battle. Former Shrewsbury midfielder Jordan Clark played as a trialist.

Wednesday 13 July

Reuben Reid has held talks with Shrewsbury Town but no agreement was reached.

Deane Smalley is on trial at Morecambe and played the first half in a pre-season game.

Derek Adams talks about his new look squad...
"We've got four centre backs, we've got two left backs in Gary Sawyer and Ben Purrington, we've potentially got two right backs in Gary Miller and Oscar Threlkeld, so we've got good cover in that area. We've got four strikers - five strikers if you include Louis Rooney.
"We're still on the lookout for midfield players and it's just taking a bit of time. We want to add the right people to the squad. I think that we have to get a couple of them in; probably more central than anything else."
Club website

Argyle win 6-0 against Bovey Tracey in a pre-season game. The goals were scored by Spencer, Jervis, Rooney, Carey, Goodwillie and an own goal. Former Shrewsbury midfielder Jordan Clark again played as a trialist.

Thursday 14 July

Former loanee Hiram Boateng plays for Crystal Palace on their American pre-season tour, the midfielder played the whole game against Philadelphia Union in a 0-0 draw while another loanee Luke Croll was a second half substitute.

Derek Adams talks about the three pre-season games played so far....
"The way the players have performed: they’ve looked sharp, they’ve looked lean, they’ve looked fit. We’re ten days into pre-season. I would say we’re looking good, and we’ve put ourselves in a good position.
"We’ve had a lot of the ball – a lot of time on the ball, a lot of passes, a lot of movement. By doing that, everybody knows each other, their style of game. The tempo is going to rise now and we’ll have to step up a couple of gears.

"Over the next few games, they’ll be worked a lot harder. The purpose is to work the striking department, and the midfield department – and then the defence will come.
"Torquay gave us a tough test the last time, when we won 1-0; it was a close game. On Saturday, it’ll be the same. There’ll be a big crowd. We’ll have to be quicker and speedier than we have been in the last three games."
Club website

Friday 15 July

Argyle will play Torquay United at Plainmoor on Saturday, kick-off 3pm. Tickets adults £10, under-18 & concessions £5, under-7s are free.

Torquay manager Kevin Nicholson spoke about the game...
“We’ll be facing a big challenge on Saturday” said player-manager Kevin Nicholson.
“They showed last season what a good side they are. They got so close to promotion last season that they will want to take the next step this time so it is a good marker to show where we are at physically, technically, and tactically.
“The pitch looks good, and there will be a few supporters there so it will be a good practice run of the real thing. I’m sure they’ll want to win; I want to win. We’ll have a good go at them and we’ll se where it gets us."

Saturday 16 July

Argyle draw 1-1 with Torquay at Plainmoor. David Goodwillie scored from a Graham Carey corner just before half time while Torquay equalised in the 54th minute from the penalty spot after Luke McCormick fouled in the penalty area.
Over 1,200 Argyle fans were at the game.

Sunday 17 July

Elburton Villa match info:
Wednesday 20th July, kick-off 7.30pm.
Haye Road, PL9 8HS.

This match is a mixture of first team squad and a few youngsters.
Ticket cost: payable on the gate - Adult £5, concession £3, u16 free.
Both canteen and bar facilities are open providing hot and cold refreshments (cash only).
Match day programme, 50/50 draw and raffle for a signed Argyle shirt will be available.
Limited parking on-site is restricted to players, officials and staff only.
Please note: due to on-going major road works along Haye Road, supporters are advised to park around the local Elburton/Plymstock area due to likely single lane traffic delays outside the ground entrance..

Derek Adams talks about the Torquay game, trialists and naming a new captain...
"I thought we were quite comfortable in the game and passed it about.
"We obviously made numerous changes, but I thought the amount of chances we created today - and opportunities missed - I'm delighted.

"We're only just two weeks into the season, but the players are in good shape. Listen: we have to sharpen up a bit, and that will come over the next three weeks.
"I think that there was a lot more running power in the opposition, and you're going to get that the higher level you go. You just see a wee bit higher movement from the opposition, higher running power, and that's what you're going to get with the opposition you play against.

"I think getting that game time in the legs of the players is very important at this stage of the season. We've used 18 players today which is good - a few of the ones that had knocks have come in and got some game time. They've had probably ten training sessions together, which is not enough. I think that when we go to Holland, we'll be able to bed it in better with two weeks to go."

"We're just passing the captain's armband around the senior players at this moment in time.
"The captain will be the captain on the first game of the season, and nobody will know that before then. We don't want to say too early, and I think it's important that we take our time.
"Your captain needs to lead on the pitch, and I think it's important we have that. Off the pitch as well you've got an important aspect of looking after the players. It is an important job for somebody to do."
Club website

Former Argyle striker Matt Lecointe, who retired from the professional game last year because of injury, has signed for Launceston.

Monday 18 July

Tickets prices have been released for Argyle's Dutch friendly game against MVV Maastricht on Tuesday 26 July: Adult (17+): € 10, 65+: € 5, child 13-16: € 5, child 6-12: free per paying adult (free per one paying adult).

A pre-season Matchday Moments video has been released....
Link

Argyle sign trialist David Ijaha, the midfielder will wear the number 22 shirt.
Club website

Tuesday 19 July

New signing David Ijaha talks about his move to Argyle.....
"Craig Brewster knows a few managers I signed under, he watched me play a year ago and he told me he tried to sign me a year ago, so when my contract finished last season he called me down and asked for a trial - and here I am today.
"I see it as a second chance.
"I know what I’ve got to do - get my head down and work.
"One day I will leave Plymouth; if its in six month, a year, two year, I know I can leave knowing I have done my all."

"I’m 26 - I’m not young - so after years burn you start to think is it really going to happen?
"It’s actually funny because at the end of last season I was thinking it wasn’t going to happen, then I got a phone call - and here I am now."
Club website

Argyle won 2-0 at Truro City with second half goals from Jimmy Spencer and David Ijaha. Midfield trialist David Fox played for three quarters of the game.

Wednesday 20 July

Derek Adams talks about new signing David Ijaha and the progress of injured Karleigh Osborne...
"David’s a big, powerful lad who has come out of non-league football and I feel he can be a good presence in the midfield for us.
“He is not going to play 50 games this season – he is going to play less than that – but it gives him the opportunity. He’s made a great run from the edge of the box to win a tackle and then the ball gets played wide; a good cross and a good header from him.

“He came in at pre-season and trained with us. It was a very hard week and, at any point in that week, he could have dropped out because it was extremely difficult, but he stuck with it.
“We need people at the football club who have a winning attitude and he’s certainly got that.

“It’s going to take him a wee bit of time but, the quicker we can get him in and around the players, the better. We need to get him sharper and fitter and we will get that. As we can see tonight, he’s getting there.”

“We would have hoped that Karleigh Osborne would have had some game-time by now. He’s only missed 10 days training, but it feels like a lot longer than that because we have had a lot of games in a short space of time. We are hopeful of having him training by the end of this week.

“He will get there. If you look at Sonny Bradley, he had missed a great chunk of training but he has come in and it doesn’t look like he has missed much in the way of game-fitness."
Club website

Argyle win 12-0 against Elburton Villa, David Goodwillie scored four, Jimmy Spencer, Graham Carey and Sonny Bradley scored two apiece and a goal each from Jake Jervis and Yann Songo'o.
Trialist David Fox played all of the second half.

Thursday 21 July

Centre-back Karleigh Osborne has suffered a reaction to his injured thigh and could miss the trip to Holland.

Striker David Goodwillie talks about pre-season training....
"Strikers all want to score as many goals as you can. It doesn’t matter who’s up against us, we just need to be ruthless and dominate the game.
“I’ve scored a few goals, I think I’ve just not scored in one game and I was disappointed – that was last night at Truro – and I’m glad to come back with a few goals.”
“The boys have made me feel welcome considering I’ve just come in. It’s always awkward, going into a new team, and it’s hard to find your feet, but I feel that I’ve in quite nicely, because there’s a lot of new boys and we’re all in the same boat. "We all just kind of gelled straightaway.

“There’s a few boys I’ve played against and played alongside, which has made it easier.”
“I look at the team sheet and hope that Graham Carey is playing when I’m playing because he’s not afraid to make that killer pass, and that’s good for a striker.”

“I’ve not experienced training like this is my life. It’s been tough. The first week was hard running, then the games take care of themselves. That’s what you want.
“We have to work hard to put it in and fight to get into the team. There are a lot of games in a season and we need everyone in the squad. Everyone has to be at their fittest and I think we are.
“We’ll go to Holland and – first things first – we’ll work hard. We’ll play the game and hopefully we can get a result because, at the end of the day, we always want to win games.”
Club website

Friday 22 July

The Argyle youth team are taking part in the Super Cup tournament in Northern Ireland, formerly known as the Milk Cup.
The squad will fly to Belfast on Saturday and have been drawn to play South American club Alset Colombia on Monday, Scottish side Rangers on Tuesday and County Armagh on Wednesday.

Argyle sign trialist midfielder David Fox.
Club website

Saturday 23 July

Former Argyle youngster Jordan Copp now plays for Weymouth but is also employed by the Argyle youth department, he is looking forward to today's game....
"For any lad, as a 17-year-old growing up in your hometown, to make your debut in front of thousands of people, it was just phenomenal.

“I was in the squad all year and on the bench multiple times. It was an amazing experience and something I will never forget, it is something that will stay with me for as long as I live really.”

"I have kind of built my way up working in schools and doing all that side of stuff. From August 1 now I am going to be a full-time youth college coordinator and a part-time tutor with them.
"I really enjoy it, it is really good.”

Rhys Wilmot returns to his role as goalkeeper coach. He will work with Vincent Dorel and Luke McCormick two days a week.

Argyle drew 1-1 against Weymouth Town in the latest pre-season friendly match. Jordan Slew scored a second half goal for the lacklustre Greens with Weymouth deservedly equalising from a penalty.

Sunday 24 July

Derek Adams talks about the forthcoming pre-season trip to Holland...
"We’re looking forward to it. I’ve been there four or five times to the same place and I know how it works; it’ll be good for me to go there again and compare the team.
“We always take them there the penultimate week before the season. We do the hard work here, and then we go across there and finish off the preparation.

“There are tennis courts; a golf course; tenpin bowling, a gymnasium; sauna and Jacuzzi; and we can go out and have a bike ride. So we have got everything on the doorstep.”
"The players will be away for five nights and that gives them time to get to know each other because we have got a new group of players."
Club website
The training complex.

Monday 25 July

The Argyle youth team win 10-1 against Alset Colombia in the Super Cup tournament in Northern Ireland.

The Argyle squad and fans at lunch at the training camp in Holland, photo from the official Argyle Twitter account...
CoNZvDeWEAQbg04.jpg:small

The away game against Exeter City on 17 September will now kick-off at 1pm.

Tuesday 26 July

An amusing article of the first few days in Holland.....
Club website

Argyle win 2-1 against MVV Maastricht in the pre-season tour match in Holland. David Goodwillie equalised in the first half and defender Yann Songo'o scored the winner very late in the game.

Wednesday 27 July

Derek Adams talks about the win against MVV Maastricht.....
"I thought it was a very good performance from us tonight – from start to finish. We pressed very well, were very composed on the ball, created openings and scored two very good goals. Overall it was a very good night for us.

“When you come to these sorts of places, you expect the other team to have a lot of the ball. We certainly passed it exceptionally well tonight. We retained possession, we moved it from side to side. We won’t come up against another team in our country like that.
“I think they enjoyed it. The surface was excellent. We defended well when we had to tonight, and opened them up a few times. The way we passed the ball, got it into the front men and scored goals was top notch.”
Club website

Thursday 28 July

Another excellent diary article from Rob McNicol in Holland - Club website

The Argyle youth team will play Middlesbrough in the semi-final of the junior section of the Super Cup in Northern Ireland.

Former striker Tyler Harvey signs for National League side Wrexham.

The youth team lost their semi-final game against Middlesbrough 5-3 on penalties after the tie ended 3-3.

Friday 29 July

Season tickets will be available for collection from the ticket office on Saturday from 10am and the new replica kits will also be on sale in the club shop on Saturday.
A special handbook has been published at a cost of £10, the book is a review of the 2015-2016 season with behind-the-scenes features.

WBA manager Tony Pulis talks about his time at Argyle...
"I had a great time at Argyle. I enjoyed the club, I enjoyed the people and I enjoyed the place.
"I just had a wonderful seven months there. Everybody was so welcoming and luckily we finished the season on a good note.
"I really liked the place. I have got good memories of it."
"We did a decent job and I just hope people look back and remember that we did do a decent job for them.

"That's the most important thing – that the supporters realise all the hard work we put in was beneficial and helped the club to push on at that time.
Birmingham Mail

Saturday 30 July

Argyle battled out an encouraging 0-0 draw against West Bromwich Albion at Home Park to finish the pre-season scheduled undefeated, watched by a crowd of 8,021 including 716 Albion fans.

Sunday 31 July

New centre-back Nauris Bulvitis is looking forward to the new season...
"Everything here is a little bit quicker. In leagues which I have played before, like Switzerland for example, they give you a little more time to take the ball. Here, everyone is pressing all the time. That’s the biggest difference.
“The gaffer uses different tactics, so we just have to know our job, what we have to do. He will make the decision how we play each game; we are ready for each formation.”

“In training, we have good battles, good training,” said Nauris “I think the boys are ready; everyone is fit.
“I hope I will do everything to get promotion to League One. We will have to work very hard and I will do my best what I have to do."
Club website

Monday 1 August

Former Dundee United keeper Marc McCallum signs. The 23-year old will wear the number 25 shirt.
Club website

Tuesday 2 August

The referee for the first game of the season against Luton Town is Lee Collins, he was the official who postponed the away game against Yeovil last season because of a waterlogged pitch.

Former trialist Jordan Clark has signed for Accrington.

Owner James Brent tells the Herald he would like manager Derek Adams to stay longer at the club...
"I think Derek is absolutely of the philosophy, which feels right to me, that you can't have a sustainably winning football team without a winning club.
"So I think he has driven a really helpful improvement in the psychology of the club.
"We want everyone to be winners, whether they are in the ticket office, or in retail or in commercial.
"We need to continue to up our delivery so that we support the club by winning together.

I think he has been really good for that, and he clearly has got a very good eye for players.
"He's a good coach and he's a good tactician as well so, all in all, a good manager."

"We have made it clear to Derek that we are very keen for him to continue in his leadership role.
"We will let people know when there is anything substantive about that (a new contract)."

Wednesday 3 August

Former Argyle loan midfielder Jordan Houghton has joined Doncaster Rovers on a six-month loan.

Former Argyle striker Isaac Vassell recently signed for Luton Town and is looking forward to Saturday's game, he spoke to Bedfordshire on Sunday....
"I've got a great respect for Plymouth and everything they've done for me, so it will just be good if I can get on the pitch to show people what I can do and, maybe, what they missed out on, but there'll be no grudge there or anything like that."

Thursday 4 August

Manager Derek Adams extends his contract to 2020.

Former player Russell Coughlin has sadly passed away at the age of 56. The tough tackling midfielder died in a car crash in Carlisle on Wednesday after suffering a medical episode while driving.