Home Park Ownership | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Home Park Ownership

Apr 1, 2009
This autumn James Brent and the PAFC Board have the option of purchasing the freehold of Home Park from Plymouth City Council.

I was surprised to read in the recently published results of the Fans Survey that a slight majority of fans (50.7%) were in favour of the freehold option being taken up. Most fans will recall the Stapleton Board purchasing the freehold of HP and I know that some see it as a key moment in our descent into financial distress and ultimately into Administration. Given that none of us want the club to go that way again, the figure supporting a reversion to private ownership surprised me, and I am also alarmed that there has been so little comment on it within these pages.

Let me make it clear that I am actually broadly in support of the ground being owned by PAFC. It would give the club a much needed significant asset, either to use as collateral should it wish to borrow money or as an attraction to future investors. The key to me is that, if the ground is to go into private ownership then it must be owned by the club itself in perpetuity. If not, then PCC ownership is the safe option from a fan's perspective.

My big concern is that, as far as I can see, there is nothing to stop the PAFC Board purchasing the freehold of Home Park and placing it into a private company owned by some/all of them, rather than as an asset of PAFC itself. I believe that some of the land around Home Park is already in the ownership of one of JB's companies. If this happened it would mean that the ground was seperated from the club, and would raise the prospect that in the future the club and the ground could be owned by entirely unconnected private entities - a dangerous situation that almost inevitably could be exploited by an unscrupulous landlord.

This is not a personal attack on JB or other current Board members. I would feel exactly the same way whoever owned the club. Please don't bother with the "We trust James to do the right thing" sort of comments, as that's not really the point. If my scenario above panned out, we could see a future owner of the ground (but not the club), using the freehold as collateral to invest in a risky commercial proposition, thereby endangering the club's home. We could also see a future owner using the freehold as collateral for a big personal loan, for example to buy one of Princess Yacht's finest creations. Do we want that? I certainly don't.

Does anyone share my concerns?

Oct 11, 2014
Personally the ground should never be in ownership of the club itself, as football clubs get charged high rates for credit, and in many cases it's near impossible to obtain it.

However that said, an owning group, or a seperate holding company, with a board containing a number of the clubs directors could be set up to purchase the freehold, with a 99 year interest free lease set up (to avoid issues with change of ownership and getting locked out of the ground). Also any new club owners should have the option to automatically buy the holding company. This is the same way Luton Town are going with their new development.

This company could also be tied in with the ground development, which would enable them to secure finance to build a new stand and other facilities (ice rink etc).

This keeps debt off the clubs books and also provides a safe separate base for developers and investors who don't want the risk of their money being tied in with football finances.

Either the above or it remains council owned

Jul 2, 2014
I suspect that the ground will be repurchased only with new investment. I suspect that if another investor on the scale of Simon Hallett comes along, that will lead to repurchase of the ground. Brent is very careful, as far as I can tell, about debt. Part of Hallett's investment was used to reallocate debt, so that Brent was not carrying so much of it, and to debt repayment pushed far into the future (Hallett implied that it would never be called in.) Nothing is worrying me about the financial management right now because seems to be so careful. I suspect others would like a little more risk to invest in the team, but I am comfortable with his approach.

Feb 28, 2016
I'm against PCC selling and I was last time. I'm uncomfortable with the Corporation selling as much as a square inch of central park. It's not that it's to Brent that's my worry. Just the principle of it. Central Park is ours and should remain so.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Thanks Graham for a comprehensive view there. Whatever Mr Brent decides to do, it needs to be done with honesty. Yes I know it's a business so business decisions will be made but there's the right way ethically and the wrong way. We all know about the wrong way. I believe we are in safe hands and have seen nothing to deter from that view yet.

Jul 29, 2010
I'd rather the ground stayed in public ownership, it offers protection against unscrupulous or inept club owners (like the OP, that's ALL owners not specifically the current one).

Thing is, if we do that, will people stop nagging/demanding boards, present and future, invest money in the team?...even though it nearly caused extinction when it happened in the past?

The answer is no, despite the inevitable consequence of not obtaining a property asset is that funds are unable to be raised AGAINST it, and development is less likely to increase revenue opportunities FROM it.

So if folk want public ownership they're gonna have to become, as I am, less needy and feet stampy about team funding than they are now and have always been.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
John_Lloyd":1fek9uay said:
I was one of a very small number of people who objected to the previous freehold purchase.

Congratulations.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
In 1996 my club and it's ground were separated for what was to be 14 years. In that time the club were hampered in moving forward, the ground fell way behind as far as upkeep was concerned and the club suffered TWO administrations. Is it just coincidence that since bringing ownership of the stadium back to the club, Palace have have taken giant leaps forward?

Just saying

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
there's more congratulations here than at a Cliff Richard concert. :lol:
Had some good news this week. The club (belatedly) made the penultimate repayment to PAST&DT.
Just the September one to go, which hopefully the trust can receive by the October half term holiday (3 weeks after scheduled date), so that a chapter in life can be put to rest, and we can really move forward. :cool:
Perhaps by that time more will be known on the board's intentions. but maybe not.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Something tells me that our inability to get promoted has made supporters twitchy. Perhaps we are less risk averse than we were a couple of years ago. There has to be a point where people stop feeling grateful or even optimistic and start instead to demand improvement. If people perceive buying the ground as an ambitious decision then in the current climate they may support it. My opinion is that it might be a good idea depending on the plan or motives. I would think that something must be done with the stadium but it might not be particularly exciting. Safe standing would be nice. A big new grandstand would be better but I dislike the approach that would have led to it resembling a modern cinema and shopping complex. Yuck.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/rhys-wi ... story.html

Pretty clear that Adams isn't overly happy about only apparently being able to afford a keeper coach to come in two days a week.

Total disinterest in actually getting a Far Post Club replacement sorted. But can bet your life Brent will somehow find the money to buy the Freehold in October though. :sigh:

Sad times indeed.