Brief Synopsis!!! (Weymouth)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Jervis the captain again as Adams shuffled his acknowledged again. Looking like Bentley excepted he kept his first team on the bench. Fox appeared in an away shirt without the Ginsters logo. 4-1-2-3 the formation with Slew through the middle and Jervis and Rooney right and left respectively.

2) Argyle very casual in the first quarter. Miller, Donaldson, Fox and Smith all giving the ball away cheaply. At the other end a nasty foul on Rooney and the resultant free-kick and a couple of forward runs from Rooney and Purrington the most we looked like threatening. Jervis with a decent free-kick and Donaldson with a poor one could have produced something.

3) Halfway through the first 45 and Rooney and Slew switched positions with Rooney now through the middle. Slew produced a good cross for Smith having gone outside the full-back for the first time. Shortly after Smith was booked for his third "foul". Yetton the first player to draw a save from either keeper from the resulting free-kick. Later on Rooney and Jervis switched for Jervis to have a run in the middle slot.

4) Overall not a great first 45 in fact possibly the worst in the pre-season friendlies. Not helped by some adventurous tackling from Weymouth and a referee who wanted to be the centre of attention but missed the important challenges. The Argyle midfield just didn't seem to gel and only Songo'o, Purrington, Rooney and Dorel (who had little to do) came out of it with any credit at all. Argyle were lethargic and far too laid back.

5) Adams sent the same 11 out to start the second half. More a 4-4-2 in shape with Jervis and Donaldson the wingers. From the kick-off a mistake by Weymouth allowed Slew a shot which the keeper did well to save. Moments later and Slew again forced a save. Slew eventually with opener after a poor goal keeping error forced by Rooney. Who was Unselfish with the pass.

6) Donaldson booked for a deliberate pull back when the player was clear through. Songo'o almost immediately adjudged to have fouled a Weymouth player by heading his boot! Weymouth converted the penalty to equalise. 20 minutes into the second half Adams made the changes. Spencer and Goodwillie the front two pair with Carey in a free role. Smith and Ijaha in midfield with Threlkeld as the anchor.

7) Weymouth should have had a second when Miller produced a poor back pass. But Luke and Bulvitis saved the day. Carey, Threlkeld and Spencer began to turn on the class and a second looked imminent but there was still lethargy across the Argyle team. Sawyer in particular looked half-hearted. Smith and Bulvitis the only two to play the full 90.

8) A poor first half that didn't do much for Argyle in terms of learning. Slew and Smith will have benefited from the fitness. A dull second 45 enlivened by Slew's goal and an awful refereeing decision for their penalty.

Gary Miller 0-85
Gary Sawyer 65-90 (Purrington)
Yann Songo'o 0-65
Nauris Bulvitis 0-90
Connor Smith 0-90
David Goodwillie 65-90 (Rooney)
Jordan Slew 0-65
Jimmy Spencer 65-90 (Slew)
Graham Carey 65-90 (Jervis)
Ryan Donaldson 0-65
Jake Jervis 0-65
Sonny Bradley 65-90 (Songo'o)
Ben Purrington 0-65
Jordan Bentley 85-90 (Miller)
Oscar Threlkeld 65-90 (Donaldson)
Louis Rooney 0-65
Vincent Dorel 0-65
David Ijaha 65-90 (Fox)
Luke McCormick 65-90 (Dorel)
David Fox 0-65

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Full time 1-1 with Slew scoring in the second half.

We played a loose 4-3-3 throughout the game with Fox and then Threlkeld sitting in a deep position.

A good workout for fitness but very average in terms of playing football.
It was a poor first half, only Jervis the captain and Rooney had a good 45 minutes.
Both teams were very robust in the tackle, surely not needed in a pre-season game, although the ref was fussy and didn't help the flow of the game.

Fox, who wore a shirt without the Ginsters logo, couldn't get into the game, Smith and Donaldson were poor. Smith had a shot from 20 yards out in a central position but somehow the ball was closer to the corner flag than the goal.

The flat back four struggled against the pace of Weymouth.

A first half to forget.

We started the second half a lot better, did the players get the hair dryer treatment at half time?
Slew gave us the lead and we suddenly looked better than Weymouth for a while.

Eight subs were made, only Miller, Bully and Smith survived the cull.

A poor back pass from Miller led to two superb saves from McCormick but Weymouth got the goal they deserved when Songo'o have away a penalty.

The second half calvary couldn't rescue us, even Carey's passes went astray.

It was disappointing to see Carey, Smith and Donaldson pull back the Weymouth players when they threatened to break away.

I was asked twice by Weymouth fans if this was our first team.

Threlkeld did well when he came on, he played in a deep position that Fox had occupied and played better than Fox.

Overall, chalk it up as a match to improve fitness and move on.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Can't believe all the pessimism.

Surely a well earned draw against the mighty Weymouth proves DA knows what he is doing and we are nailed on for PROMOTION.
We have some miserable fans at times, glad I'm not one of the doom mongers :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

samjones":zlphaq9v said:

Surely a well earned draw against the mighty Weymouth proves DA knows what he is doing and we are nailed on for PROMOTION.
We have some miserable fans at times, glad I'm not one of the doom mongers :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Glad to see you're coming round to our way of thinking, Sam! :lol:

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Waraqah":kwo61n1j said:
samjones":kwo61n1j said:

We have some miserable fans at times, glad I'm not one of the doom mongers :scarf:

Glad to see you're coming round to our way of thinking, Sam! :lol:

If you cant beat them join them.

The greens are going up :scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You can always tell when we do badly, the usual four people come on. :lol:

In Sam's style IT WAS A FRIENDLY.

Sweet Baby Jesus, is it hard to understand that the manager swaps formations, the players do give it their all (game wise) and therefore what you see isn't what we'll get.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
We are in good company.

Roy Hodgson didn't know his best team, swapped formations and had no plan a or B but we all know where England ended up as usual.

Lets hope DA knows what he is doing and we get off to a flying start.

Nothing less than PROMOTION this year will be FAILURE in my books. What the hell a club as big as PAFC is doing in division 4 is beyond me.
So many years of UNDERachievement ( DA please take note ) is simply unacceptable in my books.

Anyone accepting less is a typical Janner

Aug 7, 2010
PL2 3DQ":2pii4v1k said:
Full time 1-1 with Slew scoring in the second half.

We played a loose 4-3-3 throughout the game with Fox and then Threlkeld sitting in a deep position.

A good workout for fitness but very average in terms of playing football.
It was a poor first half, only Jervis the captain and Rooney had a good 45 minutes.
Both teams were very robust in the tackle, surely not needed in a pre-season game, although the ref was fussy and didn't help the flow of the game.

Fox, who wore a shirt without the Ginsters logo, couldn't get into the game, Smith and Donaldson were poor. Smith had a shot from 20 yards out in a central position but somehow the ball was closer to the corner flag than the goal.

The flat back four struggled against the pace of Weymouth.

A first half to forget.

We started the second half a lot better, did the players get the hair dryer treatment at half time?
Slew gave us the lead and we suddenly looked than Weymouth for a while.

Eight subs were made, only Miller, Bully and Smith survived the cull.

A poor back pass from Miller led to two superb saves from McCormick but Weymouth got the goal they deserved when Songo'o have away a penalty.

The second half calvary couldn't rescue us, even Carey's passes went astray.

It was disappointing to see Carey, Smith and Donaldson pull back the Weymouth players when they threatened to break away.

I was asked twice by Weymouth fans if this was our first team.

Threlkeld did well when he came on, he played in a deep position that Fox had occupied and played better than Fox.

Overall, chalk it up as a match to improve fitness and move on.

Thanks PL2, good synopsis. Always an enjoyable read.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
samjones":1f39z9ow said:
We are in good company.

Roy Hodgson didn't know his best team, swapped formations and had no plan a or B but we all know where England ended up as usual.

Nothing less than PROMOTION this year will be FAILURE in my books. What the hell a club as big as PAFC is doing in division 4 is beyond me.
So many years of UNDERachievement ( DA please take note ) is simply unacceptable in my books.

This I agree with.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The team that played the first 65 minutes will probably never be picked to play together again.they were put together for fitness purposes. None of the players, Rooney excepted, put in 100%. I suspect no one wanted to miss the Maastricht trip.

Feb 8, 2005
samjones":343hkm20 said:
We are in good company.

Just be thankful that we HAVE a football Club!

And because we have, we have had to pay the penalty of the debt that came with it.

I'm afraid that you are a very demanding supporter, Sam, with little knowledge of what has been holding us back.

Be thankful that Brent has been able to manage to reduce that debt to a level where we might, only now, be able to begin to compete with the rest of the Clubs in the league.

Two weeks for Adams to get all the team fit enough, two weeks to get his ideas of how he wants the team to play, two weeks for getting the set plays right, two weeks before we start the competitive fixtures and two weeks before we can seriously make any comments as to how we think we are going to do at the end of the season.

In actual fact serious comment of where we are going to end up can only be made near the halfway mark, and even then the season could do a turnaround, as we know from last season.

Any comment at this stage of the game regarding how the season is going to go is really immature unthought out drivel given by those who MUST give their views in order to satisfy their own extortionate egos or comments made by those who delight in giving deliberate contra views in order to promote retaliation by those of a more sensible nature.

However I agree - we MUST get promotion this season.

Nov 2, 2004
Ah the never ending be thankful we have a football club,what a load of old tosh.I am not backing anyone in the general argument it is pre season.Be thankful we have a football club are you still being serious.Move on, the club now needs to be judged on achievment.