Argyle Fans' Trust Chairman’s Update # 8 31/07/16 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle Fans' Trust Chairman’s Update # 8 31/07/16

Dec 21, 2010
New Season / New Hope:
I don’t know about you, but after 54 years of following Argyle, I still get just as excited about the first game of a new season as when I was a little boy. Promotion as Champions, leaving us one step away from a return to the Championship seems a real possibility. OK there are seasons such as 1994-95, when we were trounced 5-1 in each of our two opening home fixtures, but there are also those magical glory years that end in promotion or contain great Cup runs. That’s why I still experience that tingle of anticipation at this time of year.

AFT Open Meeting for Fans:
The Argyle Fans’ Trust will be holding an open meeting for all members and other interested Greens to discuss the outcome of the close season survey and help determine the Trust’s future direction. This will take place immediately after the home game against Cambridge Utd at 5 pm on Saturday 10th September – venue tba. Please come along and share your views as, with over 1,000 members, we need to let the Club know what our aspirations for the future are.

Questions and Answers:
This season the AFT would like to broaden its dialogue with the Club. Rather than rely on monthly meetings with the CEO, we want to facilitate more direct interaction with fans. So we are inviting members to direct questions via our website, our article in the match day programme, the AFT fanzine ‘the Grass Is Greener’, our fortnightly Herald column or indeed direct to Martyn.Starnes@pafc.co.uk

African Youth Players:
We have received an appeal for help to enable 10 promising under-16 African footballers to benefit from working with Kevin Hodges’ Youth Academy and Marjons. Five are Kenyans from Martin Atenio's youth project in London and five are Ghanaians from Tokaradi /Secondo supported by Cate Taynton of the official Plymouth-Ghana Link.
Plymouth Citybus will provide free bus passes and Plymouth University have offered accommodation at £100 per player per week. Marjons’ fitness evaluation testing and Knight Scientific's testing will also help the boys.
If you would like to help sponsor one of these young footballers, it would be great for them and maybe, in the long term, Argyle.

Annual Survey of Fans:
The Argyle Fans’ Trust are delighted that this year’s Annual Survey has elicited a record response from 1,135 fans. While there is a similar response to previous years in most cases, there are nevertheless some interesting changes to note.
The AFT played a key role in the discussions on this season’s kit and it is pleasing to see that the new designs have been so favourably welcomed. We are similarly pleased that Derek Adams and the first team scored so highly, despite the playoff failure.

While there are some good improvements in several areas of the Club operation, such as marketing, communication, the shop and social media, our fans’ view of our stewards has seen a further decline. Refreshment provision has improved slightly, but from a very low base.

Views on the Argyle Fans’ Trust, the Green Taverners and other supporter groups remain consistently positive.

The most interesting result is perhaps on the freehold question, with 50% of respondents wanting the Board to take up its option to purchase the freehold of Home Park from Plymouth City Council. The AFT have consistently issued the statement:
“A sale to James Brent may not alarm most supporters, but once the stadium is out of public hands, there is no guarantee who may eventually become the owner, what their plans for the stadium may be, or how much they might charge the club for its use”.
Our aim is to ensure there will always be a football club for future Argyle fans to support. The AFT therefore remains committed to the current status of the land and buildings at Home Park as an Asset of Community Value.

Bob Foale (AFT Chairman)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
argyledad":in3xwlz4 said:
The EFL Trophy is on the agenda for our next Board meeting on 20th August.

Two months too late. Nevermind.

C

Cult Of Personality

Thanks for the update. Some people need to calm down with there negative posts about the Trust .

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
Cult Of Personality":27nnq5c5 said:
Thanks for the update. Some people need to calm down with there negative posts about the Trust .

If representing the strong feelings fans have about the absolute dog's dinner that is the EFL Trophy isn't a key part of the Trust's remit, then I wonder what on earth it is there for. And I say this as someone who has been relentlessly pro-Trust from the beginning. But to say nothing - nothing - about this until 20 August is a shocking dereliction of duty. Other Trusts have been vocal and active about this - why not ours?

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Camelford Green":2hkuw7jb said:
Cult Of Personality":2hkuw7jb said:

If representing the strong feelings fans have about the absolute dog's dinner that is the EFL Trophy isn't a key part of the Trust's remit, then I wonder what on earth it is there for. And I say this as someone who has been relentlessly pro-Trust from the beginning. But to say nothing - nothing - about this until 20 August is a shocking dereliction of duty. Other Trusts have been vocal and active about this - why not ours?

:iagree:

Dec 21, 2010
Maybe my friend because the AFT Board, in common with many other bodies, take time out over the Summer. This issue is still topical, as seen in last Thursday's full page article in the Herald by AFT member Danis Salman, and will be discussed at our first board meeting of the season on 20th of this month.

Oct 24, 2010
I don't agree about the kit colour, it is far too dull and could well have a negative effect on our passing. The kit needs to be bright to the players can instantly spot their colleagues. Marginal gains and all that.
We should have a strip which enhances the team's performance not one which sells well in the club shop.

Dec 21, 2010
The kit choice was subject to a great deal of fan involement this year esmer from the AFT, PACSA, PASALB, the Vice Presidents Cub and other invited fans. The home kit has generally been received favourably, while the away kit is proving incredibly popular.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
argyledad":2p7bgxay said:
Maybe my friend because the AFT Board, in common with many other bodies, take time out over the Summer. This issue is still topical, as seen in last Thursday's full page article in the Herald by AFT member Danis Salman, and will be discussed at our first board meeting of the season on 20th of this month.

I'm sorry - that is a wholly inadequate response. I know of no other body, particularly a lobbying one, that takes two solid months out over the summer without at least retaining the ability to respond timeously to breaking significant situations. Other Trusts, as I said, have managed to make statements, pressure their clubs and organise actions. That the AFT Board hasn't even discussed the EFL Trophy reforms, and doesn't plan to until 20 August, is outrageous - and suggests that either it doesn't understand the significance of the issue, or is indifferent to it.

The idea that the Board can't coordinate a statement by email, or come up with a workable strategy in two months, is ridiculous. As is the fact that no one has updated the Trust Twitter account since February. It is increasingly apparent that the Trust has little interest in engaging with the membership, or playing a role in the wider supporters' movement, and is content instead to play pat-ball with Martyn Starnes.

I'm member 002. I've been a member from the start. But this is the last straw. In sorrow, I'm out.

Dec 21, 2010
Even our illustious politicians take a summer recess. The volunteers on our board have chosen to take a summer break as well. Sorry if you are bailing out C G but the rest of us are gearing up for the new season and the challenges that lay ahead.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
It is difficult to understand as CG has said, that with the many issues before supporters that the Board has not met since February this year.That is nearly six months. One of the issues of concern, raised at the last AGM in November 2015 was the audited accounts which showed a deficit of £6,677 largely because of the failure to raise funds for the AFT Poppy Sponsorship which cost the AFT £16,500. Any shortfalls were to be underwritten. However, from the AFT minutes it is clear that the AFT have now assumed responsibility for payment of the debts to the underwriters. The February 2016 minutes show it was not agreed how and when these payments would be and there has been no official word from the AFT since.

That's a bit disconcerting.