The 2016/17 Finishing Prediction Thread | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The 2016/17 Finishing Prediction Thread

Where do you expect Argyle to finish the 2016/17 season?

• Champions

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Promoted Automatically

Votes: 68 46.6%
  • Play-offs

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • Top half but outside the play offs

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Bottom half but not relegated

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Relegated

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
OK, so pre-season is now done. We still expect a few loanees and ignoring the comments about not knowing until a few games in.

Where do you expect Argyle to finish the 2016/17 season? Remember, "expect" not "want".

Oct 20, 2015
Exiled
I voted "Top half but outside the play offs". Pre-season breeds optimism but I still think the new signings/new system (if there is a new system, no one seems certain what we will start with on Saturday) will take time to bed in. So we may be on for a slow start and playing catch-up. I also think sides we expect to compete with (Luton, Portsmouth, Leyton Orient) have strengthened better than us: we have a lot of unknowns.

I just hope there are no knee-jerk reactions to such a start (on here, or in the boardroom) and we keep faith in the DA project. A good run towards the end of the season and anything is possible. It's definitely better the sneak into the play-offs in 7th having had to put an awesome Feb-Apr together than it is to drop into them having been in 2nd place in March.

Jul 29, 2010
I'll say the same I said before pre-season, promotion.

I don't really do expectation, I think generally it's a curse. However, if the year on year progress James Brent has produced, albeit incrementally, is to continue, that's all it can be now.

Post Wembley the ball was put firmly in his court to achieve that extra 'dip for the line' this season. Has he done enough?

Now i'm not going to waste one of my trips 'down home' on a PSF so i've not seen anything of the new look squad. The mood music from those correspondents I trust is that we've got a bigger squad, not just in numbers but in size. On paper that should give us added resilience for injuries and form loss, plus added strength and power to 'steamroller' our way to a win when we need to do that. They are strings that have sometimes been missing from our bow, we shouldn't be short of options, cover and muscle.

One thing I do know is that win, lose or draw on Saturday won't give us the answer to our seasons prospects. You just know however that if we win, many will start the coronation ceremonies and if we don't many others will start writing the obituaries :facepalm:

The road is long. The destination is known, what's required is known but what we've got in our expedition force is not. Have we gained enough brute force to compensate the loss of some good members of the last expedition?, we just don't know yet.

Good, bad or indifferent, we certainly won't have the answers after day one of the trip :roll:

COYG's :scarf:

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Cautiously optimistic I have seen 5 pre-season games definetly a stronger squad Adams seems to have done well seeing he had to shop in poundland, we have got to hope the manager can get a team capable of getting promotion out of this squad if not it surely goodbye to the chairman.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It may be Poundland Mike, we're in the 4th, but I would be amazed if we're not the 2nd or 3rd biggest spenders in this division this season.

C

Cult Of Personality

I think we will finish in the playoffs .. just. I think we going to start slow as i feel the team has taken a step back but under this manager i feel we will get it right and storm into the playoffs late

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
dunlop":2pvzp95n said:
Cautiously optimistic I have seen 5 pre-season games definetly a stronger squad Adams seems to have done well seeing he had to shop in poundland, we have got to hope the manager can get a team capable of getting promotion out of this squad if not it surely goodbye to the chairman.
Is that a fact Mike, or a Pasoti fact?
I've seen all the games and I'm cautiously optimistic about the play offs, but wouldn't be surprised if we end up mid table. I think our defence will be fine but I hope our strikers can find the back of the net on a regular basis against League 2 opposition.

Jul 29, 2010
IJN":11u012mr said:
It may be Poundland Mike, we're in the 4th, but I would be amazed if we're not the 2nd or 3rd biggest spenders in this division this season.
Besides, when we're in town and want a drink we can get two bottles of diet coke for a pound at Poundland or two bottles of coke from, say, M&S for over £3...it's the same coke.

The moral of this otherwise mundane tale is that if you know what you need and how to get it for the best price you can shop smart, get what you need and not pay the earth for it.

'Poundland' need not therefore be a byword for inferiority, it CAN be a byword for clever, for canny.

Jan 3, 2013
X Isle":2l6m6d67 said:
IJN":2l6m6d67 said:
Besides, when we're in town and want a drink we can get two bottles of diet coke for a pound at Poundland or two bottles of coke from, say, M&S for over £3...it's the same coke.

The moral of this otherwise mundane tale is that if you know what you need and how to get it for the best price you can shop smart, get what you need and not pay the earth for it.

'Poundland' need not therefore be a byword for inferiority, it CAN be a byword for clever, for canny.

Probably the best Post I have EVER seen on this site

Mar 21, 2008
It'll be interesting to see how we fare when push comes to shove, I think what I 'expect' and what I predict may potentially be different at the moment

To use the same analogy, lets all hope we haven't paid £3 for something that we could have got in poundland

Jul 6, 2005
I think we are probably going to finish around 7-10 place, so perhaps we might sneak into the Play-offs. I would love to be proved wrong and see us achieve automatic promotion but that is a big ask with so many new players.

I am one of Adams sternest critics because I feel that over the course of last season, he flattered to deceive and ended up failing. He was excellent for the first 30-odd games but then found badly wanting when it really mattered during the run in and automatic promotion was thrown away. The way in which he Managed the games at Crawley, Barnet, Accrington and Exeter are testament to that. But that is in the past now and we have to look forward to the new season.

To have signed the number of players he has during the close season indicates that he has a competitive budget for League 2. I also think it's the right policy to have a larger squad of our own players rather than be too reliant on loanees, as has been the case over the last two seasons.

At this level, it's all about the Manager being able to mould a squad of mostly journeyman players into a promotion-winning team. I think Adams has made a good start with a well-arranged pre-season, especially the Holland trip; but only time will tell.

If Adams achieves promotion this season, he will have done very well.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Has to be top 6 I think. Whether the new boys can better last year I really don't know.

Mar 14, 2009
Mark Pedlar":evi8clwr said:
I see samjones has voted!

Although there is someone else who thinks like him too.

Surely, even the most pessimistic Argyle fan can't see us getting relegated surely? In 13/14 season we had people like Jake Cole in goal, Durrell Berry at RB, Andre Blackman at LB, Blizzard in midfield, or Feeney up front. There were good players like hourihane and Reid and lavery came in on loan but the squad as a whole was surely more limited than our current one. Yet we finished 10th.

Instead of bringing in a youthful loan l would like Argyle to maybe find someone of the quality and versatility of a Drew Talbot.

That would enhance our chances l think this season.