Interview with Argyle analyst | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Interview with Argyle analyst

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
A very interesting interview with Argyle analyst Matt Neil..... Link

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Ade the green":3ixvaiha said:
Pardon my ignorance but is this Plymouth Argyle as in playing on grass or Plymouth Argyle as in playing in pre-pubescent boys bedrooms?

He's been in the role for 4 years, under 3 different managers.

If he wasn't any good at his job then don't you think he would have been found out by now?

If you're good enough you're old enough and all that.

Aug 5, 2016
pedro91":1ht9cp2m said:
So what happened to the Conference South player?

Pretty sure it is Paris Cowan Hall, who signed under Fletch from Woking and then moved on to Wycombe.

Cheers for the link, good read.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
I knew of Matt from old Football Manager forums from back when Peter Reid was manager and we'd talk about Argyle now and then (before I was on Pasoti) and he always seemed to know what he was talking about and have a genuine passion for football and Argyle.

I knew he was the analyst for Argyle but it's really interesting to see how he got the job. He's clearly good at it. I know at one point he had an account on Pasoti but I guess it's best for him if he doesnt use it any more!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Dan Ellard":rbjomioc said:
Ade the green":rbjomioc said:
Pardon my ignorance but is this Plymouth Argyle as in playing on grass or Plymouth Argyle as in playing in pre-pubescent boys bedrooms?

If he wasn't any good at his job then don't you think he would have been found out by now?

Where have I had any opinion as to whether he's any good. As the article frequently mentions Football Manager (a computer game I believe) I was merely asking if this was relating to the real world Argyle. I did say I was ignorant to the relevance of his position. Is that okay with you?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I have often wondered whether, with the help of an analyst, goalkeepers should have a good chance of going the right way to save a penalty.
Surely, one of his tasks should be to analyse penalties taken by our opponents. It may be, for example, that some penalty takers, especially at this level, prefer to go right or left or even slam it down the middle.
This information should be helpful for a goalkeeper and give him some idea of how to react and the opportunity to practice in the week preceding a match.
Such small details could have significant positive effects during the course of a season.

Feb 8, 2005
I can confirm that that information is available, however strikers also know we know and they do change their penalties accordingly.

A case of bluff and double bluff sometimes!

Feb 23, 2008
Think i had a few conversations with him on here back along, always seemed very knowledgeable......

Can't be that good on FM though, everyone knows if you're doubtful about a managerial move you start a new save slot so you can go back..... ;)

Feb 24, 2008
davie nine":1ie4swgw said:
I have often wondered whether, with the help of an analyst, goalkeepers should have a good chance of going the right way to save a penalty.
Surely, one of his tasks should be to analyse penalties taken by our opponents. It may be, for example, that some penalty takers, especially at this level, prefer to go right or left or even slam it down the middle.
This information should be helpful for a goalkeeper and give him some idea of how to react and the opportunity to practice in the week preceding a match.
Such small details could have significant positive effects during the course of a season.

Luke talks about this in the Luton programme, and basically all he has done over the years gas not really paid off when facing penalties. Think its a case of pot luck was the conclusion.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Ade the green":2hjq3twx said:
Dan Ellard":2hjq3twx said:
Ade the green":2hjq3twx said:

Where have I had any opinion as to whether he's any good. As the article frequently mentions Football Manager (a computer game I believe) I was merely asking if this was relating to the real world Argyle. I did say I was ignorant to the relevance of his position. Is that okay with you?
Apologies for taking your quote the wrong way.

And many thanks for your kind, polite and genuine reply.