Argyle “It is what it is”

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
A week ago I was at Notts County with Stuggy (Bryan Tregunna), sat in the stands.
Whilst waiting for the match to start, a young father and his (7 year old? ) son behind us were discussing Argyle, the high hopes at the start of the season for a more successful campaign, 14 new players brought in, then the poor start to the season, played 3 – lost 3, the poor standard of play, Argyle not scoring a goal and some of the players not showing the ability that was hoped from them.

We listened in to this discussion, recognising the ‘stoic calm’ of a typical, long suffering Argyle supporter.
And then, this young boy summed up this discussion about Argyle with “It is what it is.”

This thought has stuck with me since then – I catch myself ( stuck in traffic on the M25 for an hour, having a ‘marital discussion’ ) saying to myself “It is what it is” – and life seems a little bit better.

So, being an Argyle supporter, is something that ‘keeps on giving’ – acclimatising you to the ups and downs of life.

Just remember this young Argyle philosopher, through the seasons ahead “It is what it is.”

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
However, sooner or later the boy philosopher will realise that the whole Argyle experience could - and probably should - be better.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
This is the problem. I've seen quite a few people over the years just drift a way from Argyle because "it is what it is".

That happens to be crap at the moment.

By brother for example had a ST for 10 years, but just got bored, now looks out for results but doesn't attend regularly.

I have friend, who has attended games for 20+ years, had an ST up until a couple of seasons ago, but now I can't drag him to games - because "it is what it is".

When its mediocre and persistent failure - people just find better things to do.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yet the gates are still persistently good?

I know of three lads just like that, but we must be replacing those fans by the look of it.

May 8, 2011
Perhaps it is that sort of attitude that saw our attendances fall after a few years playing in the championship, people got bored with mediocre success.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
HC Green":3n7m1m8r said:
Perhaps it is that sort of attitude that saw our attendances fall after a few years playing in the championship, people got bored with mediocre success.

People weren't happy with selling our best players and not replacing them with a side that could compete. A reliance on loanees like Gallagher to keep us afloat in the division. We're no different to most clubs at that level. Birmingham City were recording crowds of 12k under Lee Clarke at times, out Championship crowds were not much different and we hadn't just won a domestic trophy.

As Ian says, we seem to be good a replacing those who turn away. Imagine where we'd be if we could retain those, but still recruit the new. Growth rather than a steady straight line.

G

Green Barmy Bill52

I think that lots of people want over night success, and it's only us long in the tooth supporters who have been thru it before who know it takes time to build and it don't always go right, look how long it took us last time to get there, only for some idiots to go too far too quick and then came the fall, after 50+ yrs as a fan , I don't mind waiting a little while longer to get things right then going up well prepared to know we will stick around

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
In my memory Mr Tide I remember the selling took place after the crowds started dwindling. I might well be wrong but that's what my memory tells me.

I do remember I was mystified at the time and I'm still baffled. I won't let anyone off the hook, but I don't think we can blame Stapleton & Co for all of our misfortune.

May 8, 2011
IJN":xwwzp5z2 said:
In my memory Mr Tide I remember the selling took place after the crowds started dwindling. I might well be wrong but that's what my memory tells me.

I do remember I was mystified at the time and I'm still baffled. I won't let anyone off the hook, but I don't think we can blame Stapleton & Co for all of our misfortune.

You have a good memory, according to GOS, the average home attendance for out six years in the Championship were by year:-

16419 League Position 17
13776 14
13011 11
13000 10
11533 21
10314 23

L

Les Latcham

Yeap, people got fed up with beating the likes of Sunderland, Derby, Leeds and Norwich, we had gradual progress during that period. a lot of people couldn't wait for Arsenal, Man U and Barcelona!! As the young lad says it is what it is!!

O

ogwellmike

PutneyPete wrote:
A week ago I was at Notts County with Stuggy (Bryan Tregunna), sat in the stands.
Whilst waiting for the match to start, a young father and his (7 year old? ) son behind us were discussing Argyle, the high hopes at the start of the season for a more successful campaign, 14 new players brought in, then the poor start to the season, played 3 – lost 3, the poor standard of play, Argyle not scoring a goal and some of the players not showing the ability that was hoped from them. We listened in to this discussion, recognising the ‘stoic calm’ of a typical, long suffering Argyle supporter. And then, this young boy summed up this discussion about Argyle with “It is what it is.” This thought has stuck with me since then – I catch myself ( stuck in traffic on the M25 for an hour, having a ‘marital discussion’ ) saying to myself “It is what it is” – and life seems a little bit better. So, being an Argyle supporter, is something that ‘keeps on giving’ – acclimatising you to the ups and downs of life. Just remember this young Argyle philosopher, through the seasons ahead “It is what it is.”

Well said. It's a good example of "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings."! Meanwhile, thanks to those people who are complaining that things could be better. That's blindingly obvious for a team in the fourth tier of the EFL. Why don't we just give DA and the team time to get their act together and, hopefully, get us out of this god-awful division? Slagging them off isn't going to help. Or perhaps I've missed the point and slagging them off is what some people prefer to do in any event.

G

Greenskin

IJN":1bqz09r0 said:

There was no mystery about it. Argyle were inadequately prepared financially [and probably in the managerial sense as well] to compete and two successive relegation battles were never going to hold the interest of the fickle public, just as would have been the case for a load of clubs with our history. Anyway, i don't think it would have mattered if the gates had been constant at 15000,the sales would still have taken place-the template was established when the freehold was purchased and personal gain seemed to be a major factor in decision making. That £5m received certainly didn't harm the club valuation when selling to Mr Kagami and benefited one director to the value of £700k as I recall,nice work if you can get it. Still, it was what it was and is what it is and will be exactly the same again if Argyle should ever reach the second tier without adequate backing.

May 8, 2011
The facts don't support your statement.
In the first 4 years in the Championship the team progressed each year from 17th to 14th to 11th to 10th so we were competitive on the field and getting better. Perversely in those 4 years the average attendance went down each year from 16,419 in year 1 to 13,000 in year 4 when we finished 10th.
It is hard to constantly improve and reinvest in better players if your income is on a downward spiral.
The drop of approximately 3,500, per game would mean Argyle's income from gate receipt would be about £1m less in the 4th year compared to year 1. Assuming average £15 admission.

Jan 3, 2013
Cost ....end of .!
Young family adult and two kids to sit on the Lyndy getting on to £60 before beer, petrol, burgers etc

Dec 3, 2005
So Argyle improved positionaly in the Championship and yet the attendances FELL.

I wish I knew the answer to this mystery, not often a team IMPROVING and it's home attendances FALLING.

Could only happen at Argyle!!