AFT Chair's Update Club Statement | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

AFT Chair's Update Club Statement

Jun 8, 2014
Copied from the AFT website, the latest update. An interesting one to say the least.

AFT Chairman’s Report # 12

On behalf of our one thousand paid up members the elected Board of the Argyle Fans’ Trust were disappointed, when at the end of last season, James Brent refused any further meetings at board level with our Chairman. We were informed that this was as a result of the AFT securing Asset of Community Value status for Home Park and Higher Home Park. This does not prevent Mr. Brent from taking up his option to buy the club later this year for approximately one and a half million pounds, but would mean that any future sale would have to be transparent, with proposed details shared with the AFT and the wider fan base. Transparency was indeed something that James Brent promised the fans when he first took over the club.

The AFT gave PAFC twelve months notice of our intention to apply for ACV status and were told repeatedly from the start that it was not a major issue. Argyle, like over twenty other grounds such as Anfield, Torquay and St. James Park Newcastle, now have this protection. Indeed every club in this country has a Fans’ Trust which tries to work constructively with the owners for the benefit of the supporters. Over the last eighteen months the AFT have bent over backwards to do this via a number of initiatives.

Since Mr. Brent’s decision at the end of April, the club have reconsidered and we since been granted leave to have four meetings a year with the CEO, Martyn Starnes, but have been told that Mr. Brent does not like the AFT ‘holding the club to account’. We strongly feel that the AFT have been resolute in acting as ‘a critical friend’ to PAFC, bringing issues raised by our members and the wider Argyle community to the attention of the board. We have walked a difficult tightrope, upsetting our own members at times for not being seen to challenge the club sufficiently, while upsetting the Argyle Board with some of the issues we have raised.

The AFT were happy last season to provide an article in each match day programme. That consent has this season been withdrawn by the club. Additionally we have been asked to return the keys we have to the storage area previously provided for AFT equipment and told we now require an official pass.

Having established a good track record of working with the club and on behalf of the fans, the AFT Board are both shocked and amazed at Mr. Brent’s actions. This development is all the more disappointing following the appointment of Simon Hallett as a new director who claims to want greater fan participation in our club.

It is therefore with sadness that the Board of the AFT is now withdrawing from any further dialogue with the Board of PAFC while it fails to recognise the need for an open and honest discourse with the democratically elected fans’ representatives. Meanwhile the AFT will continue to campaign both on behalf of its members and the wider Argyle family in the hope that we:
• Can see real investment in our first team squad when it is needed this season
• Decent catering facilities for both home and away fans
• A replacement grandstand that is fit for purpose
• A greater transparency in the way the club is run

Feb 18, 2016
Whilst I understand that the club weren't particularly happy with the Trust acquiring ACV status on Home Park this does seem a rather childish response.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The Asset of Community Value status ensures the following...

1) Removal of permitted development rights for change of use and demolition of public houses: owners seeking to change a pub's planning use class or to demolish it must allow its users (for example, a pub's regular drinkers) to comment.

2) Material planning consideration: ACV status is a material consideration in a planning application and can be used by the Planning Inspectorate as a factor in refusing planning permission for change of use or demolition.

3)Community right to bid: this allows an ACV to be purchased by a group representing its users or the local community.

4)Compulsory purchase rights: an ACV-registered building can be compulsorily purchased by the local authority or council "if the asset is under threat of long-term loss to the community".

Which bit is JB threatened by? Presumably number 2) if he wishes to turn the club shop or part of the ground into, say, a hotel?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
And surely Mr. Brent does not like the AFT ‘holding the club to account’ isn't a quote? That would be mighty odd, as this appears to be the main function of any fan's trust or supporter's group.

Apr 1, 2009
Biggs":2y8kd6aw said:
And surely Mr. Brent does not like the AFT ‘holding the club to account’ isn't a quote? That would be mighty odd, as this appears to be the main function of any fan's trust or supporter's group.

It may be the Trust's function, but the owner doesn't have to like it.

I think this has been coming for a long time. JB has tolerated the Trust's meetings with Starnes (and the efforts of the PASB before it), as a gesture of co-operation, provided boundaries are not crossed. Toilets, buses etc have been acceptable topics of conversation, but scrutiny of finance and property deals have been out of bounds. Now he appears to be emphasising that, on the issues important to him, he won't put up with the interference of fans. Sanctions like the removal of the AFT's contribution to the programme are imposed to show who is the boss.

From a business point of view, I have some sympathy for JB. To be honest, if I was in in his position I would do exactly the same - I wouldn't want a mob of "customers" studying my every move, and I certainly wouldn't stand for being told what to do. As a fan, whilst I'm not surprised at this, it is worrying. With all the issues connected to ground ownership on the horizon, it is important to us to know what is going on. Would I be being very cynical to suggest that a breakdown of communications with the AFT (and therefore the fans), might be very convenient for JB at the moment? If there is no dialogue, then there's little pressure to tell us anything. JB's (rather naive) promise of transparency at the time of his arrival seems a lifetime ago.

As for the AFT, I fail to see how they are they are going to achieve their stated aims whilst "withdrawing from any further dialogue with the Board of PAFC". How do you lobby someone from a stance of "I'm not talking to you"? I appreciate that the AFT are in a difficult situation, but disagree with them breaking off communication - not least because I think JB might be delighted if they kept quiet for a few months.

Jul 29, 2016
Brussels, Belgium
This looks to be an act of petty thinking from "Our Saviour". If he can't get his way then he lashes out. Way to go JB - and I do mean GO. We will be paying rent to our saviour - nice thought.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Brent's a xxxxxx and needs to go. Hallett needs to respond to this too, were his words of transparency and supporter engagement just as hollow as the saviour's?

---------------------------------------

Libelous comment removed. Criticise and debate but please no personal insults or libelous comments. Thanks.
Admin.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
daniel m":20hpilqv said:
cheshiregreen":20hpilqv said:
This thread should be good for about 30 pages I think. :)

Hopefully the thread will be allowed to stay.

Why wouldn't it?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
SwimWithTheTide":38iijv07 said:
Brent's a xxxxxx and needs to go. Hallett needs to respond to this too, were his words of transparency and supporter engagement just as hollow as the saviour's?

---------------------------------------

Libelous comment removed. Criticise and debate but please no personal insults or libelous comments. Thanks.
Admin.

Edited to remove response, because what's the point? Fwiw, I don't want it construed that the removed word was abusive or sweary. Just feel that Brent is racking up a bucket load of broken promises, particularly around supporter engagement.

Aug 5, 2016
Well I for one am glad the Trust has grown itself a purpose instead of the usual Dibley parish council feel of its minutes.

James Brent seems determined to get the freehold, and now seems aghast that the fans want an input into the decision making on the future of the ground.

It is important for any club to have fans representatives that put representing the fans independently before pleasing the emperor in charge, whoever he may be. Good on the Trust in that regard.

I feel James Brent would be well advised that the club belongs all of us supporters, and not just himself, Wrathall and Hallett. Learn to deal with the Trust; however frustrating you may find them, they are the largest expression of a voice you will find in the Argyle fan base. And listening to the fans is an important process. I personally thought Mr Brent got it badly wrong the last time he tried to impose his idea of a grandstand on the club without consulting or listening to the supporters, and I was glad the whole thing failed to materialise. It just wasn't big or good enough in my view, and many others, whose views were not lelven properly listened to in the first instance.

Engage with the supporters properly Mr Brent and you may find that you get more on board. Denying fans a voice and having no concern for their views does not create a positive image, and judging by other forums Brent has created a considerable group of fierce critics as it is.