Graham Carey | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey

Dec 22, 2015
So Adams is saying his prized asset will not leave unless someone is prepared to break the bank. So are we going to let his contract run down as well or are we going to offer him an extended contract on better terms before this happens to us again like it has with Nelson and co?

Jul 29, 2010
I hope so. The shortsightedness of the policy, having bitten them on the bum already, should force a 'once bitten, twice shy' approach now.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
High player turnover seems something that is quite common for Derek Adams, given how his clubs have done dealings in the past I'll be surprised if next summer is any different.

May 8, 2011
Assuming Carey won't want to stay after June 2017 we will need to sell him in January or he will go for nothing.

At the Senior Greens today, Martyn Starmes said all the new players are on 1 year contracts with the option for the club to extend for a second year.

Jan 27, 2012
Carey is only League One standard I think, but Argyle are struggling to retain quality at the moment.

I guess it comes down to finances.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
HC Green":f7i4hecf said:
Assuming Carey won't want to stay after June 2017 we will need to sell him in January or he will go for nothing.

At the Senior Greens today, Martyn Starmes said all the new players are on 1 year contracts with the option for the club to extend for a second year.
Look out in the January transfer window then!

HC Green":e7nniise said:

So the same problems next pre-season ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
So we had Carey and Sawyer on a one year (plus extension) contract - we offered them a second year and they accepted it. We had Simpson on a one year (plus extension) contract, we didn't offer him the extra year.

Nelson, Reid, Hartley and McHugh were offered similar contracts for this year and they didn't want them. From hearsay Nelson wanted to leave this year anyway so no additional years would have helped. McHugh wanted to move for personal reasons - again no extra years would have made a difference. Did Adams want Reid and/or Hartley - they allegedly were offered poor deals so there was no great desire to hold on to them.

I think this whole one-year business is overblown and I can't stand Starnes!!

May 8, 2011
TinTin":cpohk978 said:
HC Green":cpohk978 said:

So the same problems next pre-season ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

No there won't be if all the 14 new signings perform to the standard wanted by Derek Adams as they will then have the second year to their contract triggered by Argyle.

May 8, 2011
Mark Pedlar":1rw9guel said:
So we had Carey and Sawyer on a one year (plus extension) contract - we offered them a second year and they accepted it. We had Simpson on a one year (plus extension) contract, we didn't offer him the extra year.

Nelson, Reid, Hartley and McHugh were offered similar contracts for this year and they didn't want them. From hearsay Nelson wanted to leave this year anyway so no additional years would have helped. McHugh wanted to move for personal reasons - again no extra years would have made a difference. Did Adams want Reid and/or Hartley - they allegedly were offered poor deals so there was no great desire to hold on to them.

They weren't offered a second year and accepted, Argyle triggered a clause in their contract that extended their contract for a second year.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Mark Pedlar":2zrsgkw9 said:

Length of contract offer could play just as much a part in a players decision as finance though. Hartley signed a two year deal for Bristol Rovers right? Nelson I'm guessing is two minimum with Oxford, McHugh I think was a two year deal? So they turned down our one year offer and took up an offer with the security of two.

It seems short sighted to me. Fans want to come to Home Park to see their favourite players, especially young fans. At the moment that's Carey. He's the type of player that young fans put the name of on the back of their shirt. It's a shame to have lost a player like Nelson, who represent the club well.

This year I'm sure most of us are still trying to figure out whether it's Donaldson or Smith on the ball, Goodwillie or Spencer. Over the season hopefully we'll find success and identify with these players, but right now I don't feel much connection to them. They don't represent Argyle to me. They're just players wearing our crest for the moment.

If this happens every year, 14 new players in, I think some fans will get a bit fed up and struggle to identify with the club.

May 8, 2011
SwimWithTheTide":twrqch9g said:
Mark Pedlar":twrqch9g said:

Length of contract offer could play just as much a part in a players decision as finance though. Hartley signed a two year deal for Bristol Rovers right? Nelson I'm guessing is two minimum with Oxford, McHugh I think was a two year deal? So they turned down our one year offer and took up an offer with the security of two.

It seems short sighted to me. Fans want to come to Home Park to see their favourite players, especially young fans. At the moment that's Carey. He's the type of player that young fans put the name of on the back of their shirt. It's a shame to have lost a player like Nelson, who represent the club well.

This year I'm sure most of us are still trying to figure out whether it's Donaldson or Smith on the ball, Goodwillie or Spencer. Over the season hopefully we'll find success and identify with these players, but right now I don't feel much connection to them. They don't represent Argyle to me. They're just players wearing our crest for the moment.

If this happens every year, 14 new players in, I think some fans will get a bit fed up and struggle to identify with the club.

Why do you think Nelson and Hartley were offered 1 year deals. Because of Nelson's age that would be plain silly as it would deprive Argyle of any compensation/transfer fee.

Both Nelson and Hartley were at the end of 2 year deals at Argyle, both were offered contracts but declined. I doubt if anything would have kept either here.

If the 14 new signing meet Derek Adam's standard they will all be here for a second year as Argyle will trigger their contract extensions.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
We will struggle to hold onto Carey without PROMOTION that's for sure.m

He is too good for this league and I think he will become ever increasingly frustrated by a lack of success. I can already see an element creeping into his game where he over does it because he doesn't want to pass it to another Argyle player.
Teams are also going to double up on him as the threat is far less elsewhere.

If it wasn't for his injury last year we wouldn't still have him now IMHO.
He will definitely make it into the championship

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
HC Green":170skkjz said:
Mark Pedlar":170skkjz said:

They weren't offered a second year and accepted, Argyle triggered a clause in their contract that extended their contract for a second year.

As I understand it there is an option for the player for him (or someone on his behalf) to pay a fee to get out of the second year if he doesn't want to stay. Hence my use of "offer". But yes you're right.

Nelson wasn't going to stay beyond the summer of 2016 whether we were promoted or not. I still remain to be convinced that Adams wanted to keep Hartley, Harvey or Reid. McHugh is a different kettle of fish.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Mark Pedlar":rmib37sr said:
HC Green":rmib37sr said:
Mark Pedlar":rmib37sr said:

As I understand it there is an option for the player for him (or someone on his behalf) to pay a fee to get out of the second year if he doesn't want to stay. Hence my use of "offer". But yes you're right.

Nelson wasn't going to stay beyond the summer of 2016 whether we were promoted or not. I still remain to be convinced that Adams wanted to keep Hartley, Harvey or Reid. McHugh is a different kettle of fish.
I'm led to believe Nelson would have stayed if we'd been promoted, but that's irrevelant now.