Congratulations Louis Rooney | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Congratulations Louis Rooney

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Louis has been called up into the Northern Ireland U21 squad that will face Iceland and Macedonia. Well done Louis.

Herald

Apr 30, 2015
Yes, absolutely agree - well done Louis.

Hope he gets some game time and generally benefits from being part of the set-up and possibly a fresh perspective on training. (I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with ours).
It's just a bit of a shame that he'll not be here for the Newport EFL Trophy game. Matches in that (spit!) competition are looking a bit like the only type of fixture he's going to get a sniff of a start in . Currently, anyway.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
It is such a shame that Louis Rooney isn't even travelling with the Argyle squad for today's game at Blackpool (I know this because he scored two goals last night). He has proved himself at SWPL level, I think he should at least be in and around the first team squad. Now he isn't even making the Argyle bench because of the likes of Slew. Now I understand Derek Adams' comments about younger players not 'walking into the team but instead needing to prove themselves'. Well, how many games has Jordan Slew played and not scored that many goals? Almost our whole squad is based on players who haven't quite clicked at other clubs before (if they had, they wouldn't be here), why not give a proper chance to Louis Rooney (who hasn't had that same chance!). He should at least be on the bench / travelling with the squad surely?

It is so sad that Exeter City FC are far superior to us as a club when it come to developing young talent. How many players have we recently produced who have gone on to bigger and better things? Nelson maybe. Anyone else?

One could say that Exeter City are forced into it because of finances. Well, we are hardly flush with cash. We seem to prefer to go and sign a similar player who is a few years older from Scotland.

Our approach to younger players really needs to change in my opinion. For Louis Rooney to be at home scoring for the SWPL side whilst everyone else is up in Blackpool just seems strange me.

Oct 5, 2013
Phil Sloggett":2guw6y22 said:
It is such a shame that Louis Rooney isn't even travelling with the Argyle squad for today's game at Blackpool (I know this because he scored two goals last night). He has proved himself at SWPL level, I think he should at least be in and around the first team squad. Now he isn't even making the Argyle bench because of the likes of Slew. Now I understand Derek Adams' comments about younger players not 'walking into the team but instead needing to prove themselves'. Well, how many games has Jordan Slew played and not scored that many goals? Almost our whole squad is based on players who haven't quite clicked at other clubs before (if they had, they wouldn't be here), why not give a proper chance to Louis Rooney (who hasn't had that same chance!). He should at least be on the bench / travelling with the squad surely?

It is so sad that Exeter City FC are far superior to us as a club when it come to developing young talent. How many players have we recently produced who have gone on to bigger and better things? Nelson maybe. Anyone else?

One could say that Exeter City are forced into it because of finances. Well, we are hardly flush with cash. We seem to prefer to go and sign a similar player who is a few years older from Scotland.

Our approach to younger players really needs to change in my opinion. For Louis Rooney to be at home scoring for the SWPL side whilst everyone else is up in Blackpool just seems strange me.

Spot on.
I could see he wasn't truly in DA's thinking when he said pre-season "We've got four strikers now, five if you count Louis Rooney" !! Clearly has no intention of giving the lad a chance, so why offer him a contract in the first place?!
I wonder if he now regrets accepting the contract for this season. If I was Rooney, I'd be off at the earliest opportunity; otherwise not getting picked by DA is going to begin to make it look like he can't play.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Blimey, haven't had this discussion for a while.

Oct 5, 2013
Mark Pedlar":1gloy44v said:

Anyone who dismisses Rooney as not good enough just because DA doesn't think he is, maybe needs to read up on the Jamie Vardy story...

Feb 18, 2016
I'll be bitterly disappointed if we lose him before he's been given a chance to prove himself. We do seem to struggle with our youngsters and when a promising one does eventually come along our recent managers have seemed reluctant to give them a fair crack of the whip, although I do understand that they see them at much closer quarters than we do. I feel It's particularly frustrating for the fans who love nothing more than to see one of their own come through the ranks and flourish.

Feb 25, 2011
Saltash
Mark Pedlar":1w6ebak6 said:

I felt I wanted to raise it as Rooney was at least in and around the first team at the start of the season (pre-match preparations, on the bench, etc) but now he isn't even travelling with the squad.

I guess if we are playing one up front today that is understandable, to a point, but I would still like him getting used to the idea of first team football.

I'm not sure how you 'Build a club' by constantly bringing in players from elsewhere on short term deals whilst refusing to play those from your own youth development teams.

If Sheridan had acted in this way I would have been rather critical of this approach. Wasn't 'development of youth' one of the criteria for a new manager?

Right now I am not seeing that in the slightest!

Oct 5, 2013
Phil Sloggett":loq0hycm said:
Mark Pedlar":loq0hycm said:

I felt I wanted to raise it as Rooney was at least in and around the first team at the start of the season (pre-match preparations, on the bench, etc) but now he isn't even travelling with the squad.

I guess if we are playing one up front today that is understandable, to a point, but I would still like him getting used to the idea of first team football.

I'm not sure how you 'Build a club' by constantly bringing in players from elsewhere on short term deals whilst refusing to play those from your own youth development teams.

If Sheridan had acted in this way I would have been rather critical of this approach. Wasn't 'development of youth' one of the criteria for a new manager?

Right now I am not seeing that in the slightest!

I wonder just how much coaching, from the first-team coaches, our local lads actually get when they become professionals with us. Are they truly "developed", or are they just training with the first team?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
philevs":9qyiou8m said:
Mark Pedlar":9qyiou8m said:

Anyone who dismisses Rooney as not good enough just because DA doesn't think he is, maybe needs to read up on the Jamie Vardy story...

No manager is going to leave a player out (regardless of his age) if he's good enough. Maybe, like Vardy, he will come good in his late 20s. Maybe he will never make it. He's 18 so he's already made it further with a professional club than Vardy did at Chef Wendy's. Just because they're local doesn't make then any good or any worse than any other player. It's their talent that does that.

Oct 5, 2013
Mark Pedlar":35zzvt2p said:
philevs":35zzvt2p said:
Mark Pedlar":35zzvt2p said:

No manager is going to leave a player out (regardless of his age) if he's good enough. Maybe, like Vardy, he will come good in his late 20s. Maybe he will never make it. He's 18 so he's already made it further with a professional club than Vardy did at Chef Wendy's. Just because they're local doesn't make then any good or any worse than any other player. It's their talent that does that.

To me, the lesson is that one manager can think a player hasn't got it, whereas another has a totally different view.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
philevs":2vav4dch said:
How do they know what he plays like, when do they ever see him play?

You could have just added your congrats, but no, you have to turn it into the umpteenth thread on this subject. Just so you're sure, I think we get it ....