PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Smash and grab!

Three points, a clean sheet and a new theme song!

We won the game during the first 20 minutes of the second half, before and after that period it was a bit of a struggle.

Adams used a 4-1-2-3 formation with Carey and Smith always pushing forward.

We had the better possession during the first half but didn't create any chances of note apart from long range shots from Carey and Donaldson.
Blackpool should have been three up but McCormick made two excellent saves, they hit the crossbar, Threlkeld made a goal saving tackle and Blackpool missed two chances with only McCormick to beat. We should have been dead and buried but we somehow hung on.

The second half was a lot better, Donaldson and Jervis swapped wings and almost immediately Donaldson had a header saved.
Blackpool completely switched off at a short corner when Smith passed to Carey and his cross was met by Bultivis from six yards out. Simple as you like!

We broke away from a Blackpool corner and Spencer sent Jervis away with he great pass, he was brought down by Payne and because he was the last man he received a red card.

The sending off affected us more than Blackpool, we lost our momentum.

A second goal would have killed off an average Blackpool team.
In the end we were hanging on and only a fantastic goal line headed clearance from Miller prevented an equaliser.

Songo'o's performance mirrored the team, struggling in the first half but showing grit and determination for the second half.

The two centre backs were immense and kept us in the game, Carey shone and was always looking to get on the ball, Smith was impressive again and got forward a lot.
McCormick showed what a good keeper he is and Purrington did ok as a replacement for the injured Sawyer.
Spencer held the ball up better in the second half after really struggling during the first 45.

The win wasn't pretty but pretty effective.

The team received great support throughout the game and the fans constantly sang Twist and Shout which could be our new theme song. It was brilliant and infectious!!

In a week of fan politics the only owner criticised at this game by Argyle fans was Oyston in a show of solidarity with the sparse Blackpool fans.

Man of the Match: Bully.

McCormick 7, Threlkeld 7, Bultivis 8, Bradley 7, Sawyer 6, Songo'o 7, Smith 7, Carey 7, Donaldson 6, Jervis 6, Spencer 6. Subs Purrington 6, Miller 7, Tanner 6.

One of the best away atmospheres. :)

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
IJN":36s8udgw said:
What's the theme song then mate?

We do like to be besides the seaside? :coat:

Aug 15, 2008
Kelvin Mellor played ok I thought Quintrell :)

Despite his tendency for crazy decisions I think that there is a decent (league2) player screaming to get out - especially going forward...

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Quintrell_Green":vti6ctfu said:
How did our former right back Kelvin Miller play?

Mellor? The usual. He gave a away a silly free kick early in the game, had a shot well saved and was one of the guilty defenders who switched off for our winner.
Lots of Argyle players hugged him after the game and Adams shook his hand.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Glad my first game of the season inspired a clean sheet and a win.

We started both halves well with some neat passing although lacked the decisive final ball. Blackpool came into the game after 20 minutes and caused problems with some of their set plays. The header that hit our bar first halfloor probably should have been a goal.

Second half and with Sawyer off injured, the tactical change of Jervis playing against Mellor worked well as we started positively and Smith and Carey created the opportunity for our goal after Donaldson had a header saved. After Blackpool were reduced to 10 men, we seemed to struggle to create opportunities. Miller's goal line clearance kept us in front. But we held on against a Blackpool side that looked ordinary. If Matt had been up front they may have been more of a goal threat. Mellor was steady for them - no glaring errors.

Anti Oyston chants from Argyle fans appreciated in the sparsely populated home crowd. Great support from the GA throughout.

Our problem areas in my view, Spencer good at linking play, but, can't compete physically for aerial possession meaning we struggle to maintain possession. Defensively, still some hesitation leaving us open to nervy moments.

Positives- thought Smith did well and Bultivis was sound defensively. A battling performance and 3 good away points.

Apr 8, 2014
I personally thought we were very professional and reminded me of the Sturrock days, it wasn't pretty but it got the result and I'd rather watch an ugly win than a pretty loss. We are lacking a big, imposing centre forward. To Blackpools credit they marked Carey out the game but I think with a decent centre forward we would of finished the job a lot quicker. It was ugly, but we played well and it was very professional. Oyston... Don't even get me started, it must be horrible if it was your club and the sooner that cretin sells up the better.

Mar 23, 2008
So we sang three different songs, no-one knows the words but it's a new theme tune, ok. Well played greens.

Feb 2, 2007
Smith and Bulvitis seem to have made a massive difference as I had hoped after the Luton abject failure.

Well done all and the Greens who went- September looks a good month for pointage "on paper"... Apart from the trip to the St Jams

Feb 2, 2007
Interesting that Luton did the same to Cambridge as us today with 3 second half goals and fewer shots etc. Maybe a decent away side? Doncaster look strong and I think will be in Top 3.