"Whole Game Solution" **Updated with Club Statement**. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

"Whole Game Solution" **Updated with Club Statement**.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
On top of the EFL Trophy debacle, many of you will be aware of the radical "Whole Game Solution" that the Shaun Harvey, the EFL's Chief Executive, seems hell-bent on forcing through in one way or another.

The EFL wrote to all clubs two weeks ago covering a whole mass of ideas:
- a winter break
- devaluing the FA Cup further with midweek rounds
- introducing an additional EFL League
- regionalising the lower divisions

I can see the benefit of much of this to the Premier League, except they'd only play lucrative overseas friendly during the break anyway, but not necessarily to anyone else at all and there is no mention of the utter chaos to the rest of the pyramid - unless of course all the new clubs are NEW "clubs" (BTeams/Rangers/Celtic anyone?).

Clubs were asked to respond with their views by TOMORROW.

There is a statement from The Football Supporters' Federation here calling on all clubs to consult with their fans first.

The club asked for fans questions the other day, can I please implore everyone to ask the club to consult the fans and push for other clubs and the EFL to do so sooner rather than later as these are very significant proposals and should not be rushed.

I accept that there is need for change but the case for the changes to benefit the whole game and not just the Premier League, who have all the money anyway, needs to be made.

Jul 29, 2010
Camelford Green":1wfanf6r said:
If only we had a fans' organisation to represent our views and be in regular touch with the B...oh.
You joke, but this is where I struggle to rationalise the AFT's unilateral withdrawl from club dialogue. Walk away from the table and you walk away from ALL issues which may effect the fans.

To walk away on one issue... an issue BTW that I, as a founding AFT member, was never asked my opinion about, they can't discuss or inform the club on anything. They've gone from an engaged, involved lobbying group to an disengaged and 'outside' pressure group.

If they now, self imposed, have no ability to influence or engage on fan issues then what's the point of me renewing my membership?...we were disengaged and 'outside' BEFORE the AFT existed :roll:

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
X Isle":16tkh91m said:
Camelford Green":16tkh91m said:
If only we had a fans' organisation to represent our views and be in regular touch with the B...oh.
You joke, but this is where I struggle to rationalise the AFT's unilateral withdrawl from club dialogue. Walk away from the table and you walk away from ALL issues which may effect the fans.

To walk away on one issue... an issue BTW that I, as a founding AFT member, was never asked my opinion about, they can't discuss or inform the club on anything. They've gone from an engaged, involved lobbying group to an disengaged and 'outside' pressure group.

If they now, self imposed, have no ability to influence or engage on fan issues then what's the point of me renewing my membership?...we were disengaged and 'outside' BEFORE the AFT existed :roll:

All this week to date whenever I've checked out this site I've been struck that despite some good topics and some good comments and discussions with various points of view expressed, there's been that little 'sparkle' missing. I've just realised what it is....An X-Isle viewpoint....I don't always agree with him (I do on this one) but the views of Mr 'X' are always well written and well thought out....Well done young man! :scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
OMG Wilf, you've opened up a can of Smiffys there!!

Jul 29, 2010
Should I feel flattered or patronised, it's hard to tell :lol:

Would've contributed to the discussions earlier, but that fekkin virus pop up drove me away :furious:

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
Back on topic ...

... the Accrington Chairman has today tweeted that "ASFC voted against [the WGS proposals] and will do again as things stand. Other clubs feel the same." ... "the problem is all changes are made in the interests of [the Premier League] and UEFA not [the Football League]. priorities are wrong"

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Reading through the EFL statement to all clubs, it says in part, and I quote:

'Where do you believe the additional teams should come from?'

'Where do you believe the additional teams should NOT come from?'

'Do you think that the EFL should consider regionalisation of the bottom two divisions?'

'Would you prefer that Clubs in League 1, League 2 and League 3 played through a winter break?'

I'm not sure if I have missed any decisions, but it seems from the above that a winter break and a League 3 have already been decided. Does anyone have more info? Will Argyle have to vote without any fan consultation? Why am I not the least bit surprised that the Premier League will get their way?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No information, but if my club voted for that crap, I'd stop supporting them.

That man Harvey needs a talking to!! Idiot.

Dec 3, 2005
We must stop this madness - and stop them ruining OUR game and our traditions!!

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
It's almost trying to create a German style pyramid system using the premise that ze Germans are a brilliant international team. Bull. It's all about money and protecting the wealth. In doing that it will destroy many smaller clubs and the amazing and almost unique system that we have in this country.
The devaluing of the FA cup is even worse. Where else could you get a team from the 8th tier into the 3rd round? It's very British to support and be the underdog and it captures the publics imagination.

My question now is as Argyle fans, do we have a functioning fan trust or body to represent us and our feelings over this? Or has the current body, the AFT, slit their own throats? If so then do we set up another body? This is not a slight but genuine questions as this is very, very important.

May 8, 2011
it would appear that the EFL had had negative feedback on their initial proposals as they have increased the number of teams in each league from 20 to 22.
Perhaps the loss of income from 4 fewer home games and the 'demotion' of a large number of teams wasn't to the Clubs liking.
I haven't read many comments from the National League to these proposals although I suspect the League will be anti but a number of the teams will be pro as they will see it as a quick way back into the Football League.

It's these two questions which show clearly the line of thinking:

Where do you believe the additional teams should come from?

Where do you believe the additional teams should not come from?

If Harvey even needs to ask that question, then we should all be very concerned.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
And I was asked on this site what the point of boycotting on Tuesday was, iceberg..tip of :roll:

Winter break
If you ask me we don't have a particularly harsh winter compared to a lot of countries who have such breaks. Football is simply impossible in some countries because of the conditions so a break over the winter makes perfect sense. Over here we don't have that problem so why do we need a break? The Premier League spin doctors will tell you it is to help the national team; a winter break allows the England team to rest and gives players a better chance of success at a major tournament in the summer.

Are we honestly meant to believe that footballers cannot cope with 50 or so football matches over a 10 month period before jetting off to a tournament? These are professional athletes, if they cannot cope with the strains of their sporting calendar then they aren't being prepared properly. Look at tennis players, they play 7 strenuous one-on-one games in a two week period and are still capable of adding multiple doubles tournaments to their fortnight's schedule at Wimbledon, once they've done that they head off to the other side of the world to do it all again somewhere else the following week. There is no excuse for being unfit for a major tournament, if footballers were honestly that under-prepared what would a month's break do for them 6 months prior to the event?

Putting the fitness aside is it really necessary for the whole Football League to go on a break? Our players rarely have a major tournament to contend with come the summer months, can we not spend our winter watching Argyle, potentially drawing in a few Premier League fans missing "their" clubs playing over the winter while the big boys are all on their winter tours of China/Japan/America...oops, I mean resting up for the summer.

FA Cup Midweek Rounds
I think Mark is spot on in his comment regarding devaluing the FA Cup, the League's oldest and proudest competition should be the first dates on the English football calendar. The Premier League and Football League calendars should be made to work around the FA Cup not the other way around.

For non-league clubs the first round is their cup final, for clubs at our level the third round is ours, for Premier clubs it should be the FA Cup final. The game has gone mad though, money drives decision makers. For the "suits" Stoke v Swansea in the "race for 7th" is considered a priority over a day at the home of football between what should be the two best clubs in England that year, not the two Premier clubs who bothered to play their first team in every round.

Am I against it though? Increasingly no purely because it sounds as though this will be one of the few chances I will get to watch a mid-week game in future, the plan appears to be to do away with mid-week ties to ensure us proper football fans are tucked up warm in front of the Champions League with our sofa supporter colleagues. The best games I have seen, some of the best memories I have of Argyle have been in the cold after school or after work. I won't miss the tiredness and raspy voice at work on a Wednesday but I wouldn't trade them. The atmosphere at a mid-week game is special, the joy you get all through the work day knowing you're off to Argyle that evening, how can they do away with that?

An Additional EFL League

With the number of agendas the "suits" have on the go it is easy to see where this on is heading. If we were competing in a fair game, if we were up against a reasonable opponent we would see Conference clubs and only Conference clubs filling the void this new division creates. The problem is we aren't playing a fair opponent

I honestly don't have a problem with a third division, in fact I'd like to see some of the grand old clubs that currently sit in the Conference back in the Football League but we have to ensure that it is these clubs that will be entering this league. The decision makers have their schemes, they sneak them in under a front and if we complain about them they threaten to take away the only scraps they give us. Suppose the football chiefs claim they want to protect relegation and promotion for that year's transition so in come clubs from outside the pyramid; B-Teams to keep the Prem bosses happy, Scottish teams to give Celtic and Rangers some actual competition to play against and spark new interest into the Premier League. If they wanted a route in this would certainly give them one.

Regionalisation
I'm sure this will appeal to clubs at our level because they would save on travel costs and would encourage more local games which attract nice away attendances. Equally this will appeal to travelling fans, shorter distances to travel to away games and no chance of a cold Tuesday night in Carlisle.

I do however get the feeling that we are looking at devaluing a competition again. Suddenly the 4th largest division in English football is no longer a national division, it's a southern feeder league to the big time of the Premier League, Championship and perhaps League 1 if they show themselves to be worthy.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
Bermudian Green":184tqini said:
It's these two questions which show clearly the line of thinking:

Where do you believe the additional teams should come from?

Where do you believe the additional teams should not come from?

If Harvey even needs to ask that question, then we should all be very concerned.
Indeed - and to think that someone suggested that the idea of BTeams in the league an urban myth.

I hope the club's email box has been deluges this evening but I fear not.