When its mathmatical | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

When its mathmatical

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Still gutted at last years capitulation and no show at Wembley, but that can't be blamed on the current squad as most are new faces.

So looking at this season so far, well I can't say I've been overly impressed with the performances, but I'm more than happy with the results. Hopefully the players will become more cohesive and will turn into a really good squad.

Most importantly, if required, can Derek Adams see any signs of the team bottling again and stem it fast, obviously last year for whatever reason he couldn't. But hopefully the team will show more resolve and we will finally get out of this league and Argyle can really aim for greater things.

Another win on Saturday and we will be looking really strong, although this time I won't get too excited until it's a mathmatical certainty.

:scarf:

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
argobenz":39477604 said:
Still gutted at last years capitulation and no show at Wembley, but that can't be blamed on the current squad as most are new faces.

So looking at this season so far, well I can't say I've been overly impressed with the performances, but I'm more than happy with the results. Hopefully the players will become more cohesive and will turn into a really good squad.

Most importantly, if required, can Derek Adams see any signs of the team bottling again and stem it fast, obviously last year for whatever reason he couldn't. But hopefully the team will show more resolve and we will finally get out of this league and Argyle can really aim for greater things.

Another win on Saturday and we will be looking really strong, although this time I won't get to excited until it's a mathmatical certainty.

:scarf:
Don't take this the wrong way mate, but it's September the flippin' twenty eighth. As Gollum once said in the Lord of the Rings "Long ways to go yet Hobbits."

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Can anyone remember the first Paul Sturrock promotion season? Specifically, when they started to dream the dream. Surely when a team scores 102 points you have to at some significant point realise that it's a done deal.

Unfortunately for myself, I was working away the entire season and had to rely on the BBC sports pages to keep me up to date ( not on PASOTI then (the shame, the shame)).

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Because we were pushed by Luton (and Mansfield and Cheltenham) all the way, despite being lots of points clear it never really felt certain until we went over the lines at Rochdale (for promotion) and then Darlington (for the title). I can remember driving back from Rochdale on my own, stopping at service stations and celebrating with Argyle fans all the way back.

From about November I went to games expecting to win. I've never felt like that since.

Apr 9, 2011
Hopefully this time we can hold it together & get out of this awful league. Agree far to early to start celebrating anything yet except we are top of the lge albeit at the end of September. Last seasons capitulation is still fresh in the memory but my only hope is thistime we do have a much stronger squad in depth. All we can do is keep the faith.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Mark Pedlar":xvrfwoyh said:
Because we were pushed by Luton (and Mansfield and Cheltenham) all the way, despite being lots of points clear it never really felt certain until we went over the lines at Rochdale (for promotion) and then Darlington (for the title). I can remember driving back from Rochdale on my own, stopping at service stations and celebrating with Argyle fans all the way back.

From about November I went to games expecting to win. I've never felt like that since.

I guess that rather encapsulates my thoughts and without wanting to sound like X-isle (even though he has my upmost respect) we can't think it's done and dusted until it's done and dusted.

I do remember being in Normandy during a fair part of that season and there was just one space in the hotel car park that I could park in to pick up radio Devon (very weak but I could just about hear) and agree that we went into games expecting to win. Even when behind we knew that we'd come back to win. That success was built on a solid defence which we seem to have now in depth (Karleigh Osbourne still to feature) so once that confidence is grown through the team we will see some better performances from the strike force.

Still confident until that confidence gets knocked but for now, enjoying the ride.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Mark Pedlar":1cftur3f said:

That is pretty much how I remember it, including the feeling from about Xmas on that we could win every game and we would get promoted. I never had that feeling last season and I don't have it now, but I'm hopeful it might return.

For much of the season it was between Argyle and Luton with the other 2 and I think Hull City just behind, so you didn't really feel completely safe until that Tuesday night at Rochdale, which I think was a re-arranged game after an earlier postponement due to a waterlogged pitch.

We were staying overnight so we went into their supporters club afterwards where the locals were very friendly and they had a picture on the wall of Rochdale legend Reg Jenkins, the ex-Argyle, ex-Dockyard Shipwright from Millbrook.

We should all enjoy being top but it's far too early to get carried away.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Up to xmas last year I was very optimistic ( far more so than this year ) and look at our lame capitulation from there are in.

Not been impressed with our performances but as I predicted we have ground out results and the points flatter us at this EARLY STAGE.

I do think we have a stronger squad overall this year so hopefully the wheels wont come off big style again and a fit again Brunt will be a welcome addition in the new year although with a lot of loans running out in January we will need contingency plans in place.

50 pts and avoiding RELEGATION is our only target at this stage. When we have achieved that I will start dreaming and discussing the other options and not before

Aug 5, 2016
Luton pushed us hard in 01/02. To get 97 points and not win the league must have been sickening for them! It was a great rivalry, Kinnear's Luton and Sturrock's Argyle - luckily the best team won :-D

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Knibbsworth":3gmx62jn said:
Luton pushed us hard in 01/02. To get 97 points and not win the league must have been sickening for them! It was a great rivalry, Kinnear's Luton and Sturrock's Argyle - luckily the best team won :-D

Mark Pedlar said exactly what I suspected.

We achieved a record busting 102 points but even so it was not until the very end of the season that people started to believe. Should (SHOULD) the same thing be achieved this season then the enjoyment will only come at the end. Especially after what occurred last season so 10-20-30 even 40 games will not illicit a "we've done it" response from many. Certainly after 10 games, whether this season or Sturrock's promotion season no-one can truly think/thought the hard works done.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
No one is thinking that.

And the excitement must end once there's no remaining mathematical uncertainty, right?

Much like its end not soon after 15 minutes on Tuesday.

Dec 3, 2005
Gary_Wills":ipzihvkt said:
No one is thinking that.

And the excitement must end once there's no remaining mathematical uncertainty, right?

Much like its end not soon after 15 minutes on Tuesday.

:-? :-?
Sorry I have read that last sentence many times and cannot work it out lol