Carey... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Carey...

Dec 22, 2015
We need to get him on an extended deal ASAP! None of this waiting until January rubbish lets offer him a further 2 years with option to extend a further year. This needs to be done sooner rather later.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
We can offer as much as we want now but it's fairly certain he would be mad to accept anything until much later in the season.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Life time contract. Player for the rest of his playing days, then ambassador of the club on match days and events when he hangs up his boots. Manager? kitman? Ground man? Anything, can we just keep him forever?

Aug 30, 2016
Peverell
SwimWithTheTide":3jm7jryu said:
Life time contract. Player for the rest of his playing days, then ambassador of the club on match days and events when he hangs up his boots. Manager? kitman? Ground man? Anything, can we just keep him forever?
The only way to keep him forever would be to cement him into the foundaions of the new stand (if such a thing is ever built) and I think that might be counter-productive.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
SwimWithTheTide":1sc8fql9 said:

I agree. I think this should be a PASOTI fundraiser idea. I'll chip in with £100.

Nov 18, 2011
If I was Carey I wouldn't sign anything until at least next June, he won't be short of potential suitors. The only chance we'll have of keeping him is if we get promoted.

Jan 27, 2012
We don't know what is happening behind the scenes, but I think Argyle should really push the boat out and offer Carey a lucrative deal. If Brent would sanction such a move, it would surely make financial sense.

Firstly, Carey is an essential part of the team and Argyle need players like that if the club are true to their word and really striving to win promotion back into the Championship.

Secondly, if Carey does leave, then Argyle need to command a transfer fee. I don't think a fee of £500K is out of the question. This is nearly a third of the cost of buying Home Park ! That would be massive money to Argyle.

As things stand, Carey is a free agent in little more than 6 months time and can speak to clubs in January. If he leaves mid season then its a massive blow to any promotion hopes. Plus he would leave on the cheap.

I'm not sure that Carey is necessarily Championship level, but he is certainly at the upper end of League One. I don't see why Argyle can't compete with any League One or Two club in terms of playing budget. After all, the club gets some of the biggest gates in the lower leagues. Surely Carey is one player worth pushing the boat out on- if only to secure a transfer fee in the future.

Jun 2, 2016
Everything we've seen and heard in the last year shows that PAFC management is financially savvy. In terms of player contracts this will be top of their list. Let them sort it out.

Jan 27, 2012
I'm not sure I have your faith, Mr Corkscrew. The club let Nelson and Reid go. And these players didn't leave Argyle for particularly "big" clubs.

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
Just keep supporting the chap and make him valued! I do hope we can keep hold of him. I think the only chance we have of keeping him is to get promoted.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Listening to the game it seemed at 2-1 we were little bit under the cosh. Yeovil had a couple opportunities that likely should have been put away. Up step Mr Carey for a moment of brilliance from nothing during that spell and to shift moment in the 2nd half back into Argyle's control. Without that moment it could well have been 2 points dropped, but star players take charge to grasp those 3 points. The guy is a delight to have within the team, but his work ethic certainly does not make him an ill afforded luxury. He's an all rounder and the real deal. Make a statement and sign him up for next season and beyond.

Feb 8, 2005
Cool down.

He was one of the first to sign a new contract last season, even before the Wembley loss.

What makes you think he wants/will want to leave?