Lack of goalscorers. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lack of goalscorers.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Well here we go again (Tin hat on) last season I said when we were flying, that I thought we didn't have the goals in the side to gain automatic promotion. Some agreed and some slaughtered me, not one apologized when I was proven right but hey ho, I was as disappointed as they were, so it didn't matter.

Having just watched our very ineffective offensive performance (v Pompey) with relation to our recognized forwards (Spencer, Jervis & Slew today) I must say, I still feel we are lacking firepower, as far as an automatic promotion is concerned.

I thought Pompey's forwards looked a real threat, and were keen to run at our defense and attack the box. I'm pretty sure our defenders were happy to see the little fella get subbed, but to be fair the subs were of the same ilk.

Hopefully Garrita, Goodwillie, Spencer et al, will find their scoring boots and my fears will be addressed, but for now it's all midfield and defenders scoring most of the goals, and unfortunately that probably won't be enough.

Still, on the bright side 11 league games undefeated, and I still think the team has yet to reach the level it's capable of. So with momentum and a bit of luck, hopefully we can power on and get out of this horrible league.

:scarf:

Apr 8, 2014
I really don't think you can judge our strikers on one game. If you can, I'd like anyone who was at Stevenage last weekend to tell me Slew wasn't immense and Spencer for the last 3 has been quality. They will be up there at the end of the season, today was always going to be tough.

G

Green Barmy Bill52

As long as we are scoring does it make a difference where they are coming from,

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Wasn't our problem last season a lack of goals from the other areas of the side apart from the strikers and Carey?

S

stanners222

Spencer totally isolated today, never looked liked scoring or carrying any threat!

Feb 2, 2007
Surprised Goodwillie didn't get a chance in the final 20 as his quality will be telling at some stage. Think Slew, apart from one occasion when he bamboozled two had a poor game. Jervis is a "spoiler" in those type of games, he should have attributes to be a centre forward but always flatters to deceive in the middle. Thought he should have taken Spencer off and put Jervis in the middle nonethelessjust to give their back two a different challenger. Spencer had a really good go for 70 mins but started to give up in the battle with Burgess, probably annoyed at the constant man handling, pushing and pulling.

Whatever the question Donaldson is not the answer. If Garita had been available we prob would have won.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Garita and Brunt are both better than Frank Spencer who quite frankly looks useless to me and the others that sit around me.
Jervis should be given a go up front until Garita and Brunt are back

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think Spencer led the line brilliantly today, as he did last week and the week before.

That's from someone who agreed with you before those thread games.

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Totally agree
Spencer held the ball up brilliantly at times and got us up the pitch.
thought he battled well against 2 and sometimes 3 defenders. One of our better players today for sure

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Does the OP mean lack of consistent goalscorers? I think we have been scoring enough goals. Enough to put us top of the league in fact.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
samjones":2acuxsr7 said:
Garita and Brunt are both better than Frank Spencer who quite frankly looks useless to me and the others that sit around me.
Jervis should be given a go up front until Garita and Brunt are back

When you grow up you'll hopefully realise that childish name calling is completely unnecessary.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
As the OP my comments were meant to point out the lack of regular 20 goal a season forwards.

I 'm happy with any Argyle scorer but without a 20 goal man can we get automatic promotion?

G

Greenskin

argobenz":2fpzsf1r said:
As the OP my comments were meant to point out the lack of regular 20 goal a season forwards.

I 'm happy with any Argyle scorer but without a 20 goal man can we get automatic promotion?

Yes.That was proven in 1985/86,2001/2 and 2003/4.