Brief Synopsis!!! (Newport)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Two changes for Argyle with Tanner into the starting line-up and Karleigh Osborne coming up to the bench in place of Bentley and Jervis dropping from starter to bench. Carey started wide right with Tanner in the hole. Tanner should have at least hit the target early on. Good work to set him up by Carey and Spencer.

2) Slew too worked a good position for himself but couldn't finish it off. Newport had a good period of pressure forcing a number of corners but couldn't produce a decent enough supply and the two centre backs and McCormick were equal to them.

3) Argyle were struggling to get any quality possession in midfield and Carey was largely uninvolved. The ref gave several bizarre decisions against Slew for standing still with a defender holding or climbing over him. He was soon to equal it up big time. Argyle appeared to switch to 4-4-2 with Slew moving inside alongside Spencer and Carey moving out left and Tanner right.

4) With 37 gone Argyle worked a good opporrubiry for Slew who was touched by the Newport 'keeper and the ref both awarded the pen and sent the keeper off. Carey converted past substitute Bittner (who took ages coming on) firm to his left. Argyle worked a couple of late chances in the first 45 from pressure with Newport too having another corner. 

5) Despite looking the most dangerous team and having the lead it felt like we needed another to settle things down. We still looked asleep at the start of the second and Parkin equalised with a well hit shot that McCormick couldn't do a lot with. No matter, Carey decided to weave his way into the box, he was brought down and this time he went the other way with the conversion.

6) With 20 to go Jervis replaced Tanner as Argyle searched to out some rhythm jnto what had turned into a dour stale-mate. There was also long breaks as Parkin went down injured twice the went off. Newport had all the game and long throws were causing us problems as McCormick seemed rooted to his line. 15 to go and Smith came on for Fox.

7) Tanner and Fox had quiet games and it could be seen why they went off. Songo'o too had another quiet game. Jervis did well off the bench and Spencer had another good game. Bradley and of course Carey among the motm performances although Bully and Purrington did little wrong. Slew too had the best game I've seen him have for Argyle.

8 ) Newport forced a corner, Bradley put in a massive header. Spencer and Jervis cleared and Spencer found Carey and he put Slew in for an easy third. Argyle's final sub was Donaldson for Spencer going into the final 10. Suddenly the long ball was coming back at us as Goodwillie failed to hold the ball up as Spencer had done.

9) Interesting to see the crowd figures split as with Argyle fans in all parts of the ground we must have been close to outnumbering the home support. Difficult to make a coordinated noise without a roof but reasonable all the same. Let down by a minor pitch invasion Portsmouth style as we scored the first.

Luke McCormick - 5
Gary Miller - 6
Nauris Bulvitis - 7
Sonny Bradley - 8
Ben Purrington - 7
Yann Songo'o - 6
David Fox - 7
Graham Carey - 8
Jordan Slew - 7
Jimmy Spencer - 7
Craig Tanner - 6

Vincent Dorel - unused
Karleigh Osborne - unused
David Ijaha - unused
Connor Smith - 5
David Goodwillie - unused
Ryan Donaldson - 5
Jake Jervis - 7

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Announcers said it was Donaldson that replaced Spencer also SL says Substitution, Plymouth Argyle. Ryan Donaldson replaces James Spencer.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We made hard work against a very average and niggly 10 man team but we have a very good habit of digging out wins.

The game was a battle throughout, under Graham Westley Newport have become a very physical and direct team - full of elbows and pushing. Their one tactic was to hit the ball long to Parkin up front or rely on their huge long throws.

In a horrible game like this it was Songo'o who did the dirty work in midfield and stood strong. He was immense.

Adams started with his usual 4-2-1-3 but with Carey on the right and Slew on the left and Tanner in behind Spencer.

As against Stevenage we played the long ball in the early stages just to play the percentages and play in Newport's half.

Tanner had a shot go wide and Slew did the same with a header, both should have scored.

Carey was ineffective on the left.
Adams switched to 4-4-2 and put Carey on the left and Tanner on the right.
Almost immediately Slew won a penalty with the keeper sent off because he was the last man. On came Bittner and his first job was to pick the ball out of the net after Carey scored the penalty.

We were the better team at the start of the second half although Parkin nearly caught McCormick off his line with a long range shot.
McCormick didn't learn his lesson because minutes later Parkin did it again but from a more difficult angle and the shot beat McCormick at the near post with McCormick almost out of his area.

Nevermind because Carey danced through the Newport defence, he was brought down and put away his second penalty.

Slew made the game safe when Spencer and Carey broke free and Carey crossed to Slew who slotted home.

Newport nearly added a second goal in injury time when McCormick dithered and decided to race back into his area but luckily the final ball was poor.

Slew had a good game and could have scored three. Carey had a much better second half but needs to cross or pass rather than beat another player.

The two centre backs stood up to physical challenges and Purrington is turning into a fine and reliable defender.

A final word on Songo'o. The game was taylor made for him, heading, tackling, closing down, players like him don't get noticed.

A shame that Newport have turned into an anti-football team.
Man of the Match - Songo'o.

McCormick 5, Miller 7, Bulvitis 7, Bradley 7, Purrington 7, Songo'o 8, Fox 6, Carey 7, Slew 7, Tanner 6, Spencer 6. Subs Jervis 6, Smith 6, Donaldson n/a.

C

Cult Of Personality

It's was Donaldson who came on not Goodwille. Unless Goodwille wears 11 and has crap hair

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Apologies. No announcement and crap view today. Donaldson not Goodwillie. hold up comments still stand.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
A good professional performance and another 3 points on the board.

Newport battled throughout and were competitive, as you might expect from a Westley team but there was only going to be one winner today.

The Red Card was a stonewall pen and if I were a neutral, I would have said that the Rookie Ref had a pretty good game.

I suspect Luke might be embarrassed when he sees the Parkin goal tonight. The only other slight disappointment was Tanner. His first start for a while but he didn't do much to warrant another one next week.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Thanks for the reports. Interesting that the Sky reporter at the ground twice reported that Newport were dominant during his goal reports - after Argyle's first, and then again following Parkin's goal.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Newport may have been dominant in periods but Parkin's goal apart Luke really didn't have a save to make (partly down to poor finishing).watching the highlights will be interesting because I imagine the Newport view will be that we were very lucky to get the pen and the red card for the opener. I'd like to see them again but my view was that Slew went down very easily for the first one.

Jimmyd

✅ Evergreen
♣️ SWAG Member
Jan 3, 2009
The first penalty looked like a rugby tackle by the keeper to me. Stone wall

Jan 4, 2016
Don't get to too many games but thoroughly enjoyed today (sat with the home supporters, £20 for a seat on the halfway line, can't grumble at that) and a match which I thought was quite even until the sending off. Thought Newport played very well and would never have guessed they were bottom of the league, although Argyle were the better side in patches.

The difference for me was that Argyle chased hard for any lost ball (something that previous Argyle sides have failed to do and always much to my annoyance e.g. Reid) and I thought our level of ball skill and awareness of space was also a little better. Carey and Jervis impressed the home supporters although imo Carey seemed to want to take too much time with his little tricks, he is good though. Reminded me of Alan Hudson of Chelsea - for those with long memories. I was impressed by Purrington. Cracking goal from their No9 whcih brought gasps from the home crowd, he reminded me of Trigger.

The ref bore the brunt of the home crowd dissatisfaction for his perceived inconsistency and some of the decisions did seem to go our way - not that I was complaining!

Green Army was in good voice but.....the English National Anthem? Only makes you realise what a dirge it is!!

All in all, a good day out and a good advert for fourth division football.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Apologies. No announcement and crap view today. Donaldson not Goodwillie. hold up comments still stand.

No need Kevin, i have no idea how you get so much covered, with so much detail, how you are able to watch the game and capture it and post it within seconds of the game finishing.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done