Are Plymouth Argyle the real deal for promotion... | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Are Plymouth Argyle the real deal for promotion...

Jul 29, 2010
'Going well, could go wrong'.

It's every bit as non definitive an assessment from an 'outsider' as we can muster from 'inside'.

Jan 8, 2006
Pity they had to use a picture of a striker who is no longer with us. Some good analysis in this, particularly the problem of coming up against a team with more pace. Few teams in this league have this but against Portsmouth that was our undoing. Saying that we need players and tactics to get us out of L2 not L1. I think the injury worries are overdone. That was a big issues last season but the squad has more depth this season. Looking at the fixtures in Nov and Dec the main concern is Doncaster, the rest apart from Crewe away are winnable. Here we have 5 at home and 3 away. If we can see Xmas goodbye with this we are well on course.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Why isn't Crewe away winnable?

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
In a game where we come up against pace, we surely just sit slightly deeper in defence, don't get too close to the attacker and the midfield will have to drop slightly to fill the gap. That then puts the pressure back on the opposition manager to work out how to maximise the efficiency of his pacey players as balls over the top will not work.

In such a game, we may not be as potent going forward as there will be a greater gap between midfield and attack, but maybe then players like slew and Jervis could be deployed. I don't see it being a critical failing of this club or indeed a weakness. Historically we haven't been graced with Usain Bolt's all over the pitch. Nelson had pace but aside from that we weren't over reliant on that attribute. Clever heads can make up for a lack of pace, hopefully we have that, and DA can use his tactical nous to circumvent any issues.

Plus, how many clubs in this league have express pace, particularly when the pitches start showing signs of wintery weather?

Jan 17, 2016
The only time I have seen us exposed for pace was against Pompey, Chaplin and Bennett looked very dangerous, up to the point that cook took them off?!?! Isn't Osborne supposed to be fast? Difficult to se where he will slot in, other than is an injury crops up.

Apr 26, 2016
Well Parkin was like a race horse to celebrate in front the green army on Saturday .. lol
bloody bloke tried four times before his goal to get it over top of Luke who seemed to be to far of his line on many occasions ...
Agree defence has managed pretty well so far .. Parkin old fashion forward with nous to get around pitch for one hour ..

Z

ZZZZMarker12

But the ball didn't go over Luke for the goal so I'm not too sure what you're trying to get at there?

Jan 3, 2013
Ok it didn't go over Luke but I agree he strays too far off his line. If he'd been further back he'd have saved it

Jan 27, 2012
This team is nowhere near as good as Sturrock's promotion side (in my opinion).

But Adams manages them well.
With hard work, good fortune, and if we keep hold of Carey, then automatic promotion is very realisitic.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I wouldn't say nowhere near as good. It's still early in the season and if they finish top they have to be a very good team at this level. They are actually on target to eclipse Sturrock's 102 point record total though again still very early days. Looking at the current League 1 table there doesn't seem to be a huge gulf with all last season's promoted teams doing well. That suggests several of the current team if promoted could go on to be top League 1 players like Trigger, Friio, Coughlan,Larrieu and Wotton did to name five at least. Currently I don't see five good League 1 players but the team is still evolving to be fair and that could well change. The article is a decent resume of much that has been said on here. The main difference for me is that we struggled to cope with some of the long term injuries we suffered last season whereas now we seem to have a replacement ready to step in and do a job in any outfield position.