♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Should the club break the bank now to keep Carey before the transfer window in January.
It could be argued because of lack of investment last January it had a detriment effect on getting promotion, loosing him I'm sure would have a similar effect clubs will obviously be aware he has not committed himself to Argyle.I would not be surprised if Holloway at least did not come sniffing around.

I think the squad of players we have this season has a lot more backbone than last years squad and a lot more strength in depth but I think Carey is a vital part of the team.

There is a lot of ifs and buts and the key is Carey himself, he has got to think of his family and career if an offer came in.

Let's hope DA has his finger on the button if any club did come in for him.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Whilst not bepreaking the bank we do need to be generous in what we can offer him. To send a message to him that he is wanted and send a message to others to keep their hands off.

Jun 7, 2006
A lot depends on who enquires. Ultimately if a big championship club decides they want him there will be little point in trying to prevent this. We cannot compete financially and Carey is likely to want to leave to further his own career. However we are a bigger prospect than many league 1 clubs and should consider an improved contract within our budget constraints if that is what it will take to hold on to him until the end of the season.

May 8, 2011
Clubs that buy in January tend to be ones in trouble, so if Argyle continue winning he may not want to swap a promotion race with a relegation battle.
We can offer him any amount but he doesn't have to commit until June, so he may just say wait and see, perhaps a charm offensive on his wife to convince her to settle in Plymouth might be just as good as chucking cash at him.
Also maybe the mess Reid got into might encourage him to agree an contract extension rather than wait for these offers his agent has lined up.

Jun 2, 2016
8 goals, 7 assists. Plays left wing, right wing, centre. Getting media recognition.
Unfortunately I can't see how he will not get bids in January from big clubs looking to boost their promotion runs (either Sheffield club or something similar).
I'm sure DA has some ideas lined up ...but has anyone seen a player this season that could come close to matching Graham's CV ?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Indeed this could well be Hourihane mark 2 , Hope not,but we are a selling club at the end of the day.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
All clubs are selling clubs apart from the elite five or six in the world.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I am sure the club have things under control as best they can in the circumstances. It would be a big step up to the Championship for him and it would take a sizeable offer bearing in mind his contract will be running down. There are not many League 1 clubs who can offer him more than we could in League 1 next season either. I think unless it was a very good offer and promotion was looking odds on come January then the club would take their chance at the end of the season or offer him a very good League 1 salary to extend in January.

Jan 12, 2009
He would be extremely hard to replace but if the worse happens and he leaves i have full faith Derek will have a player up his sleeve. I really hope he stays but if he does go I also think goodwillie could maybe excel in the hole once his head is right

Feb 17, 2012
The Muff
Im sure he would of had the chance to move last summer but decided to stay put and commit himself to us which showed a sense of loyalty not just to the club but im sure to Derek in particular.

With the season going so well, he must be enjoying his football like never before so I think he will stay with us until the end of the season and beyond when he will be able to test himself with ourselves in league 1....hopefully!!

Im sure the club are fully aware of how important he is to us and id be amazed if we havent aready opened a dialogue with him.

Fantastic player...we're luck to have him...and hes lucky to have us!!

Jun 22, 2008
Taunton
PAFCJames86":2mqwprj0 said:
He would be extremely hard to replace but if the worse happens and he leaves i have full faith Derek will have a player up his sleeve. I really hope he stays but if he does go I also think goodwillie could maybe excel in the hole once his head is right

:oops:

Mar 14, 2009
Basically l also thought Carey has expressed a desire to finish this season at Argyle and at least banish the memories of last season.

When quoted he has often expressed how very happy he and his partner are living in Plymouth. Yes, l know footballers often do this and it's all A PR exercise but l genuinely believe him when he says it.

You have to think about the following question? He is in his mid twenties. Which manager has got the most out of him? Surely it's been DA.

Argyle give him the freedom and license to play anywhere. He is the main man. Playing for clubs before Argyle he was stuck in one position it appears. Is that what he wants again? It would be hard for Carey to not want to play at a higher level. However, he won't just be the only main man like he is at Argyle. Certainly it will be highly unlikely that he gets a role in the side and a license to roam like Adams gives him. Does it matter to him how enjoyable his position and role in the team is or is securing his financial future the over riding factor? You can't blame him if it's the latter. With most footballers, and to be honest human beings, it is the top agenda in any work environment.

Yes he would love a big pay day. He deserves it. Yet he can get more money should he remain a free agent come the end of the season.

If a championship club or top league one side bid for him then anything over £500,000 will be hard for Argyle to turn down. Would Argyle risk not getting any money from a Carey transfer in order to obtain promotion?

The other side of the coin is will the speculation in January unsettle him and affect his form. He seems like a level headed guy so hopefully that will be a good sign.

It's hard to know what will happen. I'm sure Adams is prepared for life after Carey.

Personally, the best thing to do is just enjoy his performances between now and January. The rest will take care of itself.

BlueinPL20

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Oct 14, 2016
If an offer is large enough he will go, it is a fact of life. Even anyone but the top three or four Clubs in the land will sell if someone offers big bucks

Mar 14, 2009
BlueinPL20":7axkuhr5 said:
If an offer is large enough he will go, it is a fact of life. Even anyone but the top three or four Clubs in the land will sell if someone offers big bucks

Well in that case there is a good chance Chaplin could go in January. Must be some clubs sniffing around your younger, promising players like Bennett as well.