Cup run or promotion ? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Cup run or promotion ?

May 16, 2016
As the weekend draws near, I was thinking of the possibility of, and if I wanted a Cup run. Personally, I'm not fussed. I'd rather be promoted. Yes, I know some would say have both.

If we managed to beat Newport and got a "big" team, I'd expect to see threads about tickets, ticket stubs, Season ticket holders getting first dibs, how many away games someone's attended, shambles of any transport organisation, plastics etc etc ;)

More games, more distractions and possible injuries. Not really for me, I'd rather just go up automatically. I'd feel the same in a Club v Country discussion.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
No brainer, promotion

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
The League should never come second to the Cup.....no need to be the riches team in Div2 with a long cup run.

Aug 1, 2011
Honiton
Bermudian Green":2vtq71zq said:
I never fail to understand why we can't have both. Surely being a football club is all about winning silverware, not earning money.

I agree, we can't choose which games to win and we should want to win every game, the law of averages doesn't actually hold any water...

Saying all that, if you had to choose, 'cup run' is ambiguous but I would definitely pick winning the FA Cup over promotion, I'd even take a final appearance over going up, much less frequent & much more historical!

Now a semi-final vs promotion... That's a tricky one... Promotion probably wins that one for me

May 4, 2015
Not really in a position to comment are we?

be better off asking Bradford City fans as they went on an amazing cup run a few years back to the detriment of their promotion push

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Only 7 max of the 92 win stuff in any given year, so it must be about the weekly entertainment factor if the other 85 aren't completely wasting their time.

There are only more games if you go up via the playoffs; so a cup run fits the bill.

Aug 1, 2011
Honiton
Jose446":31h2iwx1 said:
Not really in a position to comment are we?

be better off asking Bradford City fans as they went on an amazing cup run a few years back to the detriment of their promotion push
You can always find an example to match a theory though...

What about Sheffield United 2 seasons ago? In the relegation zone early in the season, then a cup run into the semi-final and great unbeaten stretches in the league to finish just outside of the playoffs

And West Brom in the Championship, in the year before it all started to fall apart, won the league and reached the FA Cup semi-final

Of course it can have an effect, but so can anything and it can be a positive effect

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
We need to return to winning ways and the cup game is next. Be nice to win it to gain confidence before the league game against Donny.

We ain't going to win the FA Cup so whilst it would be nice to get a big club in the 3rd round I see the Newport game as a chance to get back on track to winning the league and PROMOTION which has to be our No 1 priority.

Cup runs should be not be budgeted for and are a bonus income. Man U or Arsenal away in the 3rd round could buy us a player in the transfer window

Aug 5, 2005
Pogleswoody":3oni6zl6 said:
Quizmike":3oni6zl6 said:
Beat Newport then lose at Old Trafford or The Emirates in round 3.

Beat Newport then lose to Doncaster? :facepalm:
Anybody want that?? :think:

If we beat Newport, that will mean we will lose to Doncaster? Why do you think we can't win both?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Quizmike":7cg9hhuz said:
Pogleswoody":7cg9hhuz said:
Quizmike":7cg9hhuz said:

If we beat Newport, that will mean we will lose to Doncaster? Why do you think we can't win both?

Don't think I said that we will lose to Doncaster .. did I?
If a loss was inevitable then there would be no question marks .. neh?
I was echoing the post before and the OP, I want us to win both but losing both would be v bad and losing to Doncaster after beating Newport wouldn't be a lot better. I'll take league wins now, I'll take cup wins where it suits.

Aug 5, 2005
Pogleswoody":nwhmvl3p said:
Quizmike":nwhmvl3p said:
Pogleswoody":nwhmvl3p said:
Quizmike":nwhmvl3p said:

Don't think I said that we will lose to Doncaster .. did I?
If a loss was inevitable then there would be no question marks .. neh?
I was echoing the post before and the OP, I want us to win both but losing both would be v bad and losing to Doncaster after beating Newport wouldn't be a lot better. I'll take league wins now, I'll take cup wins where it suits.

Got it now. The face palm was confusing!