Decline in Home Form/Decline in crossing | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Decline in Home Form/Decline in crossing

Mar 14, 2009
Often when you haven't seen a decent performance at home you get asked what do you expect. Then the usual, do you expect them to play like Barcelona?

Quite simply, no. I quite like direct football. Not hoof ball, but quick wide players who run at people down the flanks. Lots of crossing into the box.

So when you watch Argyle currently they do play with width. The Centre backs spread themselves apart and pass to each other and often then give the ball to the full back. He then looks for the wide player. The problem is this is where it often breaks down as he passes back to the full back, who then pass to the centre back and off it goes back across the other side. Occasionally, Fox will get on the ball and hit a diagonal across the pitch to the wide midfield/winger.

It seems Argyle style of play puts a lot of emphasis on whoever is the left/right midfielder/winger as play often seems to be directed to this area. Yet this is often where it breaks down. Argyle become too slow as the players in this position don't really seem to know what to do with the ball. Adams seems to have an obsession playing forwards/strikers who are quick and strong and whilst may not make good target men, would be a great 2nd striker playing off the shoulder of defender. Except Adams seems to want to convert them to a wide midfielder/winger. Jervis and Slew are two players that spring to mind. Both get in decent positions but the cross is often poor. Carey and Tanner have had spells on each wing. Carey has had some wonderful dribbling moments but in the main the final ball by these two have been lacking. Sometimes the full backs can share this responsibility. Purrington hasn't done too bad but Miller is pretty ordinary going forward. The same can be applied to Sawyer when he plays.

So with Argyle looking to attack down the flanks it seems strange we haven't brought in wide midfielders/wingers who can take on their man and cross a ball. Maybe its a dyeing art and there simply isn't the personnel of that type available within the current transfer market, of which Argyle can afford.

If that was true though why then make the style your team plays have an such an importance on the people in wide areas? As it continually breaks down because simply Argyle's crossing is shambolic. You only have to look at the past 3 home games. Crosses that were over hit or couldn't beat the first man. Corners and free kicks that were of the same ilk. It didn't matter if it was Fox, Carey or Smith. Carey is a very good player. One of the things though that does seem to let him down is his lack of consistency in the crossing department. One game he is decent. The next two games its now where near the same level.

League two has such an emphasis on set pieces. Yet the number we waste is worrying. Yet this hasn't happened over night. Under Sheridan it was the same. You look at the opposition teams and I cant say I've been impressed either with theirs. So why the neglect? You put in a corner with whip and pace into the penalty area and you will cause problems. Its the easiest way to score a goal as Sturrocks league two champions found out and did it to perfection.

When you look back the last number of years Argyle have been a much better counter attacking side under Sheridan and Adams than a decent home side. You look through the sides both managers had and see a lack of really good wide midfielders or wingers. For example Adams had Wylde, but if your honest although he was quick his crossing was very poor. You could argue Mellor as a full back was decent under Sheridan going forward. Yet you cant have that much of a liability in defense.

I think that says it all. You often often find comments last season, including myself, about Mellor being decent going forward. In hindsight thought he was OK but when you remember attacking full backs we had like Mark Patterson or Gary Poole he (Mellor) wouldn't be anywhere of that standard.

Argyle have had poor full backs and wide men for the last number of seasons. The neglect by Sheridan, and now Adams, has caused us huge problems at home because we don't have the width, but more importantly, the quality in our crossing to break teams down when we keep spreading the ball wide. Away from home you don't need to do this as much because you have the more space to exploit.

I cant remember the last time since the days of Puncheon and Bolassie, the latter being very raw and inconsistent, since we had good wide players in the team who could get you up and off your seat.

The January window cant come soon enough. However Sheridan, and now Adams, were/are trying to play a brand of football without the personnel at the football club to achieve it.

Feb 8, 2005
We are in the BOTTOM division of the Football League.

You're expecting miracles!

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
You still have to have at least 1 man in the box if you put a cross in.
Be all well and good having a speedy winger like Wylde but when he does beat his man gets to the byline and crosses it who will be on the end of it ?

Both Jervis and Carey put a couple of peachy crosses in on Saturday but there was no one on the end of it.

What concerns me more is our set piece play when we can get the big guys up there.
We started the season well with both Bully and Sonny causing all sorts of problems and quite a few goals coming as a result.
Now I can't remember the last time we did anything decent at a set piece. Why ???
Surely this is something that can be sorted out far more easily on training ground.

Mar 14, 2009
jimsing":30he2baw said:
We are in the BOTTOM division of the Football League.

You're expecting miracles!

I don't think I am.

To achieve promotion, which is what everyone wants, you have to be good at something (and do it well numerous times) to go into a higher league.

Being in the bottom division doesn't mean you have to watch every cross get over hit or hit the first man defending it.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I certainly recall Graham Carey attempting 3 crosses within a few minutes in the second half. On each occasion the ball was blocked without travelling 5 yards. It was just one of those days for him and he was just as frustrated as we were.

I suspect that his main frustration was that the referee did not show a second yellow card to the right back in the first half despite conceding at least 4 more free kicks after he was booked. I do think that there were some histrionics from Carey though.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think we should give credit to the Newport defenders for blocking our crosses and just admit they were good at defending against us.

We may play with one striker but it's the job of the wide players like Jervis, Slew, Tanner etc to get to the far post ready for a cross from the opposite flank. Jervis scored several goals last season by arriving at the far post.

I haven't checked recently but a month ago a quarter of our goals were from set-pieces such as free kicks and corners, winning us 7 points. That's a pretty good ratio.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
The standard of crossing yesterday was even worse than usual, I lost count of the number of times the ball hit the first defender, even from the Sainted Carey. In one attack in the second half he did it 3 times in about 30 seconds before the ball was eventually cleared after the third block. But in fairness, he also delivered a fantastic cross behind their back 4 but in front of the keeper that was begging for someone to get on the end of it and tap it in.

However, in most games you could have Beckham putting the ball in from the right and someone with comparable crossing ability on the left, but if you only have 1 or 2 players in the box versus 5 or 6 defenders plus the keeper, what's the point?

Playing with 2 holding midfielders and 2 wide attacking players favours the defence every time.

If only we could find another Castle or Friio.