David Goodwillie ruling (not available for team selection) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

David Goodwillie ruling (not available for team selection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2003
London
Presented without comment:

Footballers Goodwillie and Robertson ruled as rapists

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-38651041

I would presume this means he's going to be let go from the club.

---------------------------------

It has been widely reported that David Goodwillie has been held liable by a Scottish court with regard to a civil claim made against him. This is not the same as a criminal conviction and postings that suggest that it is are potentially defamatory. We would ask posters to exercise caution on this subject and would remind them that any posts that are in poor taste and/or expose this site to legal risk are liable to be removed by the Moderators without notice as and when brought to their attention. Thank you

Feb 23, 2008
There's a statement on the club website. Says he'll not be considered for selection until they've considered the full report.

Would hate for him to be let go then he wins an appeal. Especially as the Crown would not prosecute.

C

Cult Of Personality

This is such a strange case. I think after the Ched Evans case aswell Argyle should take there time and see what happens

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Mar 8, 2016
I don't understand how he can be cleared by the courts but then told to pay compensation by another. Has he been found guilty or not?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Army green":18scq8cl said:
I don't understand how he can be cleared by the courts but then told to pay compensation by another. Has he been found guilty or not?
Obviously something to do with the burden of proof. The Crown didn't think there was enough evidence to secure a conviction but one man can say "Yep, they raped her".

Feb 21, 2011
Army green":28e1lt3z said:
Prosecution service decided he had no case to answer, the woman in question persued a civil case which she has won, awarded £100k compensation.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Cult Of Personality":97glk5f2 said:
This is such a strange case. I think after the Ched Evans case aswell Argyle should take there time and see what happens

I don't think the Ched Evans case changes anything - you still have to trust in the law and react accordingly, his conviction being overturned was an exception, not the rule.

Tough one for the club - but one hell of a lot tougher for the woman who's been assaulted.

I personally think we're going to be looking for another new striker.

meetoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jul 29, 2010
Keepitgreen":i41qwo4a said:
They can consider the report as much as they like, it will have the same conclusion! If the ruling is that he has to pay £100k to put an end to the matter then that is how the Court saw fit in the circumstances.
If the same rules apply in Scotland as they do in the England with regard to a lesser burden of proof outside of the Criminal Courts then its hardly surprising the Judge found in favour of the lady who brought the case.
Goodwillie is not a criminal as a result of this case (I assume) and thus the club will no doubt have to take legal advice with regard to his continued employment.
A right mess! For the record I DO NOT condone rape, I'm just expressing a view....

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Bloody hell, the relief of scoring for the first time... now this :shocked:

Apr 30, 2011
Civil action the burden of proof is on 'balance of probabilities'. The CPS would have considered prosecution on getting a conviction based on 'beyond reasonable doubt' so it is much easier to get a verdict for the prosecution at civil court than it is at criminal court.

Edit - that's in England anyway. I assume it's the same in Scotland.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Penmaster":2e9e0uuh said:
Civil action the burden of proof is on 'balance of probabilities'. The CPS would have considered prosecution on getting a conviction based on 'beyond reasonable doubt' so it is much easier to get a verdict for the prosecution at civil court than it is at criminal court.

Edit - that's in England anyway. I assume it's the same in Scotland.

The burden of proof is lower but that doesn't mean it's easy.

It'd be dangerous to dismiss this ruling as not being "valid" in any way, it clearly is.

J

JamieY

Not sure what there is to consider?

You could argue Argyle have set a precedent here and that once the fine has been paid, the case is closed and the situation is no different to LM once time served etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.