Why no player further up the park for opposition corners? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Why no player further up the park for opposition corners?

Jul 7, 2006
Certainly for the last few games we have never had a player close to the centre line for opposition corners.
Surely it is logical to have a player up the park because that will drag at least 2 and possibly 3 of the opposition defenders back into their own half.
The upshot of this, is that we aren't able to clear our lines properly and pressure is put right back on us.
There was a couple of times last night when Orient had all their players well into our half and once there was a group 4 of them hanging about some 15 metres inside our half just waiting for the ball to get to them.
It is just asking for trouble and I don't understand the rationale for not having one of our speedier players up the park to force the opposition back into their own half.

Jun 2, 2016
Always thought that defending a corner should be looked at as an opportunity to counter attack. Have the 2 fastest players 30 yards out near the touchline. The corner taker knows that if he puts the ball too close to the keeper and it gets caught, the keeper's first thought is to look for a quick throw to one of them and break away. Gives them something to think about.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I think it's because Adams has changed to a zonal marking system when defending corners and wants every one back defending.
When we had the man marking system someone like Tanner would be left up front.

Jul 7, 2006
Tamar":nkv9asdm said:
Quite simply - if you leave 2 up - the oppo will leave 3 back !

Not sure what point you are making. To have the oppo. leaving 3 players back leaves fewer in our half to cause trouble in attack. Hence my original post.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Maybe the defending of corners is currently WIP. He identified a weakness and has made a change to address it.

Zonal marking is a tough one so maybe having everyone back makes it easier for the players to adapt and over time we can remove push some players further up the pitch as they become more accomplished.

Maybe more numbers needed due to Luke's reluctance to come off his line on corner and take controls of balls into the 6 yard box (not a dig at LM but a consequence)?

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
If we clear the initial corner the opposition get another chance to create an opportunity as we have no one able to claim it.

So two crosses for each corner.

Also why doesn't the wide man stay wide when the keeper is about to kick it out. Rather than joining the crowded mass on the other side?

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
The opposition will never leave 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 on the halfway line as all it takes is one punted clearance to have a counter attack so they will always double up.

Personally I think we should leave our fastest/smallest player up as a minimum and have a known outlet/clearance ball and at least that helps to stop the ball coming straight back.

With 1 of the opposition actually taking the corner and 2 on 1 back that still leaves us with 2 men on the posts and 1 each to mar/cover the space. ie Equal numbers

It seems a complete NO BRAINER to me

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
The obvious option would be to leave someone like Kennedy up there as he would occupy 2 defenders and could do some damage if he got the ball.

With everyone back, we have no options even if we clear the ball so it almost always comes back at us even when we clear the corner.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Guiri Green":rg5eb8xr said:
davie nine":rg5eb8xr said:
I agree but Luggy had the same strategy in his first spell and it worked for him.

Exactly, two promotions didn't make it a problem then !
I don't remember too many games under Sturrock when we were desperately holding on for 1-goal victories, especially against the struggling sides.

Under Adams, it's been a regular occurrence for the last 18 months or so.

May 16, 2016
demportdave":3j1jog44 said:
Guiri Green":3j1jog44 said:
davie nine":3j1jog44 said:
I agree but Luggy had the same strategy in his first spell and it worked for him.

Exactly, two promotions didn't make it a problem then !
I don't remember too many games under Sturrock when we were desperately holding on for 1-goal victories, especially against the struggling sides.

Under Adams, it's been a regular occurrence for the last 18 months or so.

More reason to pack out at corners ?

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Due to Spur's Europa League exerts there were often on Sky on a Sunday and Raphael Van der Vaart was often deployed halfway between the box and the half way line. One to occupy defenders in case of a counter attack and two because he was useless at heading a ball so just invited another man into the box who would probably get the better of him.

DA should look at his team in terms of heading ability and work out who should be in the box. Clear the rest out and free up some space which may encourage Luke to claim more crosses. Plus we may even score on the break away.

Dec 14, 2008
Plymouth
I'm by no means a tactical genius but I can't for the life of me understand why we don't leave at least 1 player up the field or outside of the box when defending corners or free kicks. To me, having 11 players inside the box just invites pressure again if the ball gets cleared as it's pretty much guarenteed to come back at you. Leaving someone like kennedy (due to lack of height and decent pace) up top or at least say around the 25-30 yard region, then allows for him to maybe close the ball down if it gets cleared or run with it should he get it.
We've conceded a few goals from set pieces this season so having 11 players in the box isn't working as well as it should be when you're outnumbering your opponents by 4 or so players, so I just feel we should leave at least one guy up field.

Edit: didn't see this post, my bad.