Carey | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Carey

Mar 23, 2008
Think with the extra quality of the new signings, Carey has some readjusting to do. I thought on Tues, with Sarcevic dictating play until his injury and Kennedy on fire, Carey was more on the edge of things and not the main focus of our attacks. Be interesting if having the extra quality around him helps him or hinders him, if he can hit form with him alongside Sarcevic and Kennedy behind Taylor, that's an impressive front four. Add to that the likes of Spencer, JJ, Slew and Tanner off the bench and we look really strong in the final third.

Mar 14, 2009
Deacster":1e6luiyb said:
Think with the extra quality of the new signings, Carey has some readjusting to do. I thought on Tues, with Sarcevic dictating play until his injury and Kennedy on fire, Carey was more on the edge of things and not the main focus of our attacks. Be interesting if having the extra quality around him helps him or hinders him, if he can hit form with him alongside Sarcevic and Kennedy behind Taylor, that's an impressive front four. Add to that the likes of Spencer, JJ, Slew and Tanner off the bench and we look really strong in the final third.

The problem is he shoved Carey wide right when Sarcevic plays. I just don't think that position suits him.

The only thing is that lve notice how he holds onto the ball too long. He gets caught with it and leaves us vulnerable for the counter attack.

For me, do we really need two holding types players? Why not play Carey, Sarcevic and Fox in the middle. Have Jervis wide right and Kennedy wide left.

We badly need him to rediscover his shooting boots and that creative spark.

Jan 27, 2012
I'd rather see Carey play as a central attacking midfielder, just behind Taylor. He can do far more damage there.

Nothing wrong in a 4-4-2 starting formation every now and again.

Feb 23, 2008
Hopefully the extra quality around him will help as it'll keep opponents busy rather than putting two or three men on him. They know he is our danger man and alot of their time seems to be spent trying to keep him quiet.

I've noticed that he tends to give the ball away in dodgy areas for a while now, but surely that's the only weak area he has? As far as finesse, skill and work rate goes he's still one of the best in the division.

Maybe with the strength in depth we now have he would benefit from a rest?

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
His form seems to have dipped but he is still a quality player who is now trying too hard and overdoing it in dangerous areas.

He is no longer the one star man of the side and he needs to raise his game but he is not an out and out winger and does not have the pace of Jervis.
I prefer him more central as a no 10.

Offensively we are very strong and can murder teams if we attack rather than sit back constantly

Jan 27, 2012
samjones":291kijtu said:
Offensively we are very strong and can murder teams if we attack rather than sit back constantly

I think the recent signings are better quality and change the dynamic of the team.

Perhaps there is now less need for the cautious, defensive approach used by Adams so far this season ? (Although a look at the league table suggests that there is not much wrong with his tactics).

Nov 7, 2012
Plymouth
Sarcevic should start CAM for the next game he's done so well so far, stick tanner on the flank instead of Carey and drop him to the bench.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
For all his brilliant moments earlier in the season, I think both Carey and the team would benefit from him sitting on the bench for a few games.

I was also far from impressed with his insistence on staying on the pitch in the Liverpool home game despite obviously carrying an injury.

Aug 5, 2016
Totally agree. I think a bench month for Carey can work to give Tanner a chance, and it gives Carey a rest to find his mojo for the last few months of the season when we need him firing. He has hit a brick wall with his form.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Clearly needs a rest. And shoehorning him in on the wing isn't a great solution even after a rest.

Might even be that he's difficult to fit in the 11 once, if, everyone's fit and on song and playing relatively 'direct', as say Nigel Clough found with England.

RC2

Feb 16, 2017
Yep needs dropping. Suspect Adams wont be needs a bit of a wake up call. Few games on the bench may well do the trick

G

Greenskin

Carey was superb against Exeter [admittedly deep in the mists of time, exactly 8 days ago to be precise] and set up the winner against Cambridge on the preceding Saturday with a shimmy and pinpoint cross which very few players in this division could accomplish. Wouldn't say that he was terrible against Orient either-looks like one apparently mediocre game has brought out the goldfish style memory spans in abundance. Carey is a match winner and there is no way that Adams should consider leaving him unless he is carrying some sort of injury. Ridiculous nonsense.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Agreed Greenskin. He continues to be instrumental in the majority of good attacking work within the side.

The 3 behind the front man Taylor are fairly fluid. Rotating positions and switching flanks. Even Fox on occasions now rotates with attacking players to have his chance to get forward and someone else covers.

The suggestion to drop him is unfounded if you ask me.

Apr 4, 2015
I wouldnt bench him but i would play him for 60-70 mins for a game or two in CAM not on the wings or wide midfield as he isnt in the game enough. When playing in a wide position he chases the ball too much cos he wants to be involved all the time which in turn leads to the odd mistake in possession. I also dont think his form has dipped much it is just that other players around him have been playing well and he doesnt stand out as much.

Jul 12, 2016
Carey has not played well for several games.He is undoubtedly a very good player but lately his misplaced passes have cost us. He does not like to do the simple things but prefers to over elaborate and his set piece delivery is not as good as it was.
It could well be that a place on the bench would benefit him and help him to recapture his form in the longer term.