Argyla La Land | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyla La Land

Jan 11, 2016
Congratulations to Simon Hallett and the publicity department for the Argyle product placement about ten minutes into La La Land. Just a 'quick or you'll miss it' moment - bit like spotting a Luke corner catch - but there was Argyle up in lights, associated with a distinguished former player Steve Castle. I thought better of starting a chorus of Twist and Shout in the interests of not getting removed from the cinema and I'm glad I saw the film through. The whole thing is a metaphor for the Greens during these last few purgatory years. Frustrated ambitions, reward for determination, the virtues of optimism and hard work, the importance of luck and no little talent, the importance of being realistic in the interests of achieving your long term goals, remembering but not hanging on to 'might have beens' and the virtues of starting from where you are and not feeling sorry for yourself. I hope we get a mention in the Oscar thank you speeches for inspiring the story - oops, I almost forgot, we haven't had our happy ending yet have we!

O

ogwellmike

Well, I'm afraid I missed it!

I watched the film in expectation of seeing the great Hollywood musicals revisited. I was disappointed (very). Crap tunes and crap dancing ( you'll see better on Strictly IMO) but an OK story with nice enough principal boy and girl (though you'll see better in your local amateur dramatic society IMO). If only I'd seen the Argyle connection I might have enjoyed it more.

You make a good case for it being a metaphor for Argyle. Pity I didn't realise at the time!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Castle Argyle in LA? Is this it on Argyle Avenue .....
Link

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Each to their own. :greensmile:

I'd rather watch Argyle v Wimbledon FC at Wembley, I thought it was that bad.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
IJN":1uvmwgsx said:

You've no heart Mr Newell. I smiled through the whole of it and in these very mean spirited times it was a pick me up. The opening sequence was stunning.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Years ago when I had occasion to got to a trade shoe in LA I persuaded my then boss to stay at the Argyle, a fabulous Art Deco hotel on Sunset Boulevard. the swimming pool at the back has been in countless movies and the wedding rehearsal banquet from Freaky Friday was shot there....just up the road is House of Blues ( where we had to help the guy who ran Eidos in Europe get into his own party one night as he hadn't got a ticket ...as he was funding the whole event but the bouncer was not convinced!

My boss threatened all kinds of retribution when he saw I had booked a hotel named after my team...but we stayed there numerous times afterwards so I guess he saw the light partially ( although remained a Chelsea fan!

Recommend it if you a re in LA....great restaurants nearby on La Cienega and breakfast by the pool is awesome...

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
IJN":1bd7dh30 said:

It was a bit of a enigma :lol:

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Knarf Reprah":37bt89kh said:
Mike Greening":37bt89kh said:
IJN":37bt89kh said:

It was a bit of a enigma :lol:

Going to Wembley must have been Atonement.....
:lol: I was referring to the poster Alan Turin which brought Bletchy Park in WW2 to mind. :thumbup:

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
:D

Alan is a big hero of mine, hence the name.