Could Newport affect the run-in? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Could Newport affect the run-in?

This might sound a bit fanciful, but two friends of mine who are very close to all that happens at Newport say that Mike Flynn's appointment and the subsequent two wins has created a real surge of confidence amongst the players and a belief that they can stay up. I notice that Thierry Henry, who has been taking his coaching badges with Flynn, has also given them a vote of confidence. None of this would mean too much except that of their remaining games the majority are against promotion hopefuls in the following sequence (around their other games, if that makes sense).
H. Luton
A. Pompey
A. Exeter
A. Argyle
A. Carlisle

Interesting times.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
With any luck they’ll already be relegated by the time we play them - so they will have nothing left to play for and it will be an easy 3 points for us. Just like against Dagenham & Redbridge last year :facepalm:

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Ave_IT":2a7a1jqu said:
With any luck they’ll already be relegated by the time we play them - so they will have nothing left to play for and it will be an easy 3 points for us. Just like against Dagenham & Redbridge last year :facepalm:

That was exactly my thought and recollection. I sincerely hope this does not end up the same way as last season.
I don't think I could take another woeful defeat at Wembley and another year in this dire 4th division

DA really needs to rev the players up for the last 4 home games. Instead of starting slowly and letting the away team get a foot hold in the game we should be like caged tigers and go for them right from the KO not in the 2nd half when we are trailing 0 -1

Lets hope they are up for it tomorrow. Usually I get a good feel for that after the first 15 mins

Feb 5, 2011
samjones":1ln3znqe said:
Ave_IT":1ln3znqe said:

That was exactly my thought and recollection. I sincerely hope this does not end up the same way as last season.
I don't think I could take another woeful defeat at Wembley and another year in this dire 4th division

DA really needs to rev the players up for the last 4 games. Instead of starting slowly and letting the away team get a foot hold in the game we should be like caged tigers and go for them right from the KO not in the 2nd half when we are trailing 0 -1

Lets hope they are up for it tomorrow. Usually I get a good feel for that after the first 15 mins
samjones":1ln3znqe said:
Ave_IT":1ln3znqe said:

DA really needs to rev the players up for the last 4 games. Instead of starting slowly and letting the away team get a foot hold in the game we should be like caged tigers and go for them right from the KO not in the 2nd half when we are trailing 0 -1

I want our team to do the job in hand. Revving up = headless chickens. Less thinking = focus/get the job done.

Aug 14, 2015
i saw Newport beat Pompey in div 4 in 1980 at FP with your very own Taxi driving Tommy Tynan playing for them..we have an absolute awful record against them at home..so melvyn may have a valid point..

Aug 5, 2016
Thierry Henry has given Newport his vote of confidence?

I didn't realise he had such an in depth knowledge of League Two!!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Rumour has it that Westley taught him the handball move v Ireland.

Oct 14, 2015
Newport really need something out of tonight's home game against Luton as they've got Portsmouth away Saturday. Couple weeks ago a banker away win tonight but a slight upturn in form on their dodgy pitch just may see them get something tonight, well he's hoping anyway.....take a draw as it'll do us a power of good.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Tonight's game has huge significance for both teams so could get quite feisty. I see on the Beeb footy site that one of the Newport players comments on the relief felt by players after Westley's departure - only emphasises what a malignant effect he seems to have on clubs stupid enough to employ him.

Mar 14, 2009
Results have seemed to improve. Before Westley got the sack they were taking the lead a few games but failed to hold onto it.

I think their pitch is a leveller. They know more what to expect and how to play on it. Its tough for any opposition to play any type of football on it.

The good news (for us against teams they have to play) is they seem to have some fight and spirt in their squad. It could make it tricky for Portsmouth on Saturday. Being at home on a much better pitch though should make Portsmouth clear favourites.

If they don't have any chance of survival by the time they play Argyle we already seen last season how a side with nothing to play for can play without any pressure (Dagenham & Redbridge). On the flip side we also saw at the same part of the season how Hartlepool (who safety was guaranteed) played, when it was like they were on their holidays.