This season (enjoyment?) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

This season (enjoyment?)

Jul 11, 2011
Just a quick question, but is anyone else really not enjoying this season?

Statement made and now running to hide with my tin hat on.

I have supported argyle for over 20 years and have been a season ticket holder for 5 as before that I was playing and then managing/coaching teams. I have been here for the good and the bad times but just feel really deflated this year even in our position. I used to enjoy everything about the day but now find myself turning up 5 min before kick off and leaving when the board goes up.
When I was participating in grass roots football we used to have about 20-30 supporters who would turn up for home games and I used to ask why they never went argyle? They would say the football is rubbish. I am starting to see what they mean as my head starts to overrule my heart. I sit there seeing these negative tactics and poor football everyother week and a few away games when I can go down some local parks for free and see a more enjoyable game. Now I love argyle but I am now at the age where I cannot do all the 'fun' things I used to do every weekend when I was younger so have to choose my hobbies, argyle has been top since being unable to play anymore. Sadly the lack of entertainment that is served up is making me consider otherwise. Most will say it's all about the wins (and I truely understand) but for someone with limited time for hobbies the football needs to be enjoyable.

Strange topic I know but just wondering if others feel like this?

C

CornishGreenWhite

Sort of agree with you. I haven't bothered with too many games & Doesn't really feel like a promotion winning season I've got to say.

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
The fans today, particularly in those last 10-15 minutes, made it feel like an away match. The place was rocking and we even managed to get some sound out of the Grandstand.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Well, I don't.

I think there was a feeling that we had to be promoted this year, and that has meant a lot more pressure, with every defeat feeling like a disaster and every victory a relief.

But.... in the last 12 months we've been to a play off final at Wembley, had two fantastic games v Liverpool, won various player, manager and goal of the month awards, and had good news on the grandstand. And I know it's not this season, but Hartley's winner v Pompey was my personal all time favourite moment as an Argyle fan.

In summary... I certainly don't feel the same way. Top level is turning me off more and more, but Argyle? No way, certainly not as we seem to be on the up in every department.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Akos Bubacksy":29bx9ahp said:
Just a quick question, but is anyone else really not enjoying this season?

Statement made and now running to hide with my tin hat on.

I have supported argyle for over 20 years and have been a season ticket holder for 5 as before that I was playing and then managing/coaching teams. I have been here for the good and the bad times but just feel really deflated this year even in our position. I used to enjoy everything about the day but now find myself turning up 5 min before kick off and leaving when the board goes up.
When I was participating in grass roots football we used to have about 20-30 supporters who would turn up for home games and I used to ask why they never went argyle? They would say the football is rubbish. I am starting to see what they mean as my head starts to overrule my heart. I sit there seeing these negative tactics and poor football everyother week and a few away games when I can go down some local parks for free and see a more enjoyable game. Now I love argyle but I am now at the age where I cannot do all the 'fun' things I used to do every weekend when I was younger so have to choose my hobbies, argyle has been top since being unable to play anymore. Sadly the lack of entertainment that is served up is making me consider otherwise. Most will say it's all about the wins (and I truely understand) but for someone with limited time for hobbies the football needs to be enjoyable.

Strange topic I know but just wondering if others feel like this?

Nail. Head. Hit.
Some people will tell you that you're a crap fan because you aren't wetting yourself about the uncontrollable excitement of a division 4 promotion season in which the entertainment has been utterly negligible and Argyle have been drubbed a number of times at home. But in all honesty it is very underwhelming... hence the fairly low attendance right up to now. Perhaps it'll be full for the promotion decider, but a lot of sensible people (myself not included) who have seen the way Adams has decided to do it have kept their money in their pocket.

Feb 2, 2007
Many fans don't respect the league and opposition we are playing and I think that clouds the achievements many expect us to romp just because the away ten have 50!fans. I agree Home performances have been inconsistent but away efforts have been superb and the dominant double over our fairly decent Devon rivals will live long in the memory, as well as the Liverpool games.

On balance I love and hugely enjoy any season when Argyle are winning more games than not and challenging for promotion.

Well done Brent, Derek and team

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
I'm enjoying the wins but I'm fed up of playing the same teams every season. Losing 3 Tuesday night home games on the trot, looking like a relegation side doesn't help. The brand of football isn't particularly exciting either but something must be right cause we are 11 points clear of 4th! This is looking like the first time I'm gonna see Argyle promoted ( been going since 04/05) and yet it feels more relief and expected rather than enjoyable. I'll be absolutely buzzing if we do get promoted. But please Derek, not another season of Morecambe, Yeovil and Barnet!!

Mar 23, 2008
It's not always been easy watching so can sympathise with this view. My hope is that if we get promoted, we push on and try to sign more players who are comfortable on the ball so we see a better brand of football. Hopefully a higher level will help as it is a real war in league 2 with the likes of Wycombe, Leyton Orient et al biting and scratching.

Jul 11, 2011
Biggs":ybwa2ts6 said:
Well, I don't.

I think there was a feeling that we had to be promoted this year, and that has meant a lot more pressure, with every defeat feeling like a disaster and every victory a relief.

But.... in the last 12 months we've been to a play off final at Wembley, had two fantastic games v Liverpool, won various player, manager and goal of the month awards, and had good news on the grandstand. And I know it's not this season, but Hartley's winner v Pompey was my personal all time favourite moment as an Argyle fan.

In summary... I certainly don't feel the same way. Top level is turning me off more and more, but Argyle? No way, certainly not as we seem to be on the up in every department.

That is a fair comment and I am certainly not saying there has not been progress but this is not the feel of a promotion season.

And yes Harley's goal vs Pompey was special but nowhere near that of Mauge and Williams goals (1996) or friio and Evans goals vs QPR. Even in the hodges era we had mcgregor hatrick vs Barnet etc.

As for Liverpool, yes a great experience and Adams set up to defend well but I'd rather we had gone out having a real footballing go at them.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Up the line and the opening poster are entitled to their opinions and I have this conversation with a friend of mine often this season,

But at the end of the day you will miss out if you don't go. Cheltenham away, Liverpool away, Exeter away, Carlisle home Exeter home, Doncaster home. Great games with great atmospheres that will live in the memory.

On top of that- more than likely that promotion clinching game coming up.

We are where we are, I'm enjoying it and will continue to do so.

Jul 11, 2011
There is also the possibility I am having a mid life chrisis as should have a silly hair cut, get a sports car and shut up!

Jul 13, 2006
Akos Bubacksy":opi0a8yh said:
Ps. The fans were superb today so respect there (I can't say I was singing though)

It's a bit like complaining about the politicians when you don't vote.
Your opinion doesn't count.

Mar 18, 2006
Have found a way to win most games this season without actually playing that well or being that much bettter than the opposition .
Results are what matters, but if we get over the line this side will probably go down as the most unconvincing promotion winning squad in Argyle history.
But they are more than likely to get us out of this division now.

Jul 29, 2010
I think this season was always going to be flatter than most thanks to the way we fizzled out last season.

I don't feel our performances have helped either. We've never looked 'imperious' against anyone, games never get put to bed even when we do dominate the opposition. It doesn't breed the feeling that we're way better than the rest of the division, a feeling that you have to have really to be confident of promotion.