Brief Synopsis!!! ( Portsmouth)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Miller out from the starting line-up with Threlkeld moving to right-back and Sarcevic dropping deeper into midfield alongside Fox. Carey restored to the hole behind Taylor and Jervis into the team in the right. On the bench Spencer left out completely with Sokolik fit enough to take a space.

2) Argyle started well with Carey and Taylor combining well. Songo'o and Bradley looked fairly solid until Bradley was caught as he made a block and limped to the side. The Argyle crowd went quiet but he came back on and looked ok.  Kennedy made some good runs down the left and Threlkeld controlled the right.

3) Argyle took the lead with a move down the left. Carey and Kennedy combined to give Sawyer a crossing chance and his superb cross as headed home at the back post by Jervis. Cue scenes of jubilation at the Argyle end. Later in the half Carey put a long range drive over then Fox went close from a free-kick.

4) Portsmouth looked dangerous and worked their way to the edge of the area regularly but rarely got a clean shot away. McCormick made one good save close to his post and then fumbled an easier chance but Songo'o was there to clear. They did over hit balls and luckily they couldn't control some of the long ball hit behind Sawyer in particular.

5) Portsmouth may have been upset about a free-kick and appealed for hand ball but the ref didn't give it. To be fair the free-kick kick itself was a dodgy decision. Argyle started the second without Bradley -  replaced by Sokolik. Portsmouth were well on top at the start of the second-half and Argyle rarely threatened.

6) Portsmouth duly equalised the pressure forcing a cross from the left, slid home by Roberts in front of McCormick. Argyle suddenly sprang into life. If only we carried on attacking like we now seemed to be capable of. Both goalscorers to date were then taken off, Jervis replaced by Smith.

7) Argyle now seemed shapeless with Carey drifting off his wing too much. We lacked depth and were too easily dispossessed in midfield. Portsmouth's crowd could now be heard as their team was very much in control. In contrast the Argyle crowd was very quiet. We needed a spark from somewhere. Tanner was the last throw of the dice in place of Kennedy who'd had a good game.

8 ) Portsmouth finished the game on top. Argyle fended off waves of attacks. If only we'd been able to use Garita as well. As the game drew to a close Portsmouth won a free-kick on the edge of the Argyle area. They smashed it into the wall. Into injury time and they won another, put it wide and that was it.

9) Fox was probably man of the match from an Argyle perspective although he was run close by Threlkeld. We missed Bradley after he went off, let's hope it's precautionary. The result was largely meaningless. We now need to tie things up next Monday at home.

Luke McCormick - 7
Oscar Threlkeld - 8
Yann Songo'o - 7
Sonny Bradley - 7
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 9
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Graham Carey - 7
Matthew Kennedy - 8
Jake Jervis - 6
Ryan Taylor - 7

Vincent Dorel - unused
Jakub Sokolik - 6
Connor Smith - 5
Ryan Donaldson - unused
Craig Tanner - 5
JakeJervis - unused
Paul-Arnold Garita - unused

Mar 23, 2008
Great goal and hung in there ala Donny, not easy to watch especially surrendering so much possession but in half an hour, we maybe a league 1 club.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Incredible scenes here as we wait for other games to finish. Players have only just left the pitch.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The Argyle directors have just walked onto the pitch to thank the fans.

The early kick-off has killed the usual promotion finish.

The wait goes on, not many Argyle fans have left the stadium.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Some Portsmouth fans staying in the ground celebrating that we aren't going up today, what an odd bunch :lol:

Good point, on to Monday!

Feb 2, 2007
Great round up but that result was not meaningless. EVERY point is a prisoner and we have kept up our incredible record against top 7. Now we can finish the job on Monday!

Well done Derek and team

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
Thought we played really well first half. Second half we sat back too much and invited them onto us and reverted to hoof ball. For once, we weren't able to hold out.
We probably missed Bradley second half. Poor mix up for their goal but apart from that thought Songo'o played well. Both full backs excellent as well - what a cross by Sawyer for the goal!
Anyway, I'd have taken a point before the game so quite satisfied with the result.

Next season let's hope for more performances like the first half, and less like the second!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'd say the clear positive for next season is that we seem to play better against better teams.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
My question is why couldn't we carry on the momentum and directness that we had for the first 20 minutes?

It's as if we just give up, put the white flag up and go deep.

Feb 2, 2007
Tugboat":143xgbls said:
My question is why couldn't we carry on the momentum and directness that we had for the first 20 minutes?

It's as if we just give up, put the white flag up and go deep.

I don't think we do, we do concede possession but we maintain our shape and positioning and make it very tough for the opposition. Second half, without Bradley was a tough ask and we got what we needed.

I hope Bradley is fit though, he's the only critical name on the team sheet right now.

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":2mr8y36a said:
Portsmouth fans staying in the ground celebrating that we aren't going up today.

What a weird bunch of failures :lol:
That really doesn't surprise me. How thick can you get? So they wanted Luton to close the gap on them eh? Oh my God, they're going to drown in their stupidity.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Ghost":9g2gkf5u said:
Cobi Budge":9g2gkf5u said:
Portsmouth fans staying in the ground celebrating that we aren't going up today.

What a weird bunch of failures :lol:
That really doesn't surprise me. How thick can you get? So they wanted Luton to close the gap on them eh? Oh my God, they're going to drown in their stupidity.

Wildly celebrated a Luton goal even though they needed Luton to lose :lol: