Expectations | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Expectations

Like many on here I regularly look at our rival clubs fans sites, and there is an interesting common trend amongst the top half clubs, where regularly fans post to say they are underwhelmed by their team's performance, despite winning, or gaining a good away draw. On most sites it's just like reading pasoti, with complaints about unadventurous tactics, playing only one up front, and a general feeling that their team's position is not justified by the quality of play. All sounds very familiar.

Yesterday was a good example, where we played well against a team with one of the best current home records, yet many remain disappointed we didn't do better. I thought we did well for a team already promoted, with no obvious lack of desire or work rate. The Colchester fans around me (I sat half way along their main stand) were very complimentary about our team quality, and the vociferousness of the GA.

I wonder if this is because most fans supporting a club in the basement division believe they have a god-given right to waltz out of this league like a Barcelona, when in fact the standard has improved dramatically over the past twenty years, with far less hoof-ball, and games automatically won by the more muscular team.

So, what about expectation? I've watched four league 1 games this season and each time I've walked away thinking 'argyle would have matched the quality of both teams playing'. And that included play-off chasers like Millwall and Southend. I'm very optimistic for next season. COYG

Aug 2, 2011
Truth is there are a good number of "fans" who are never happy. If we win they are unhappy because of the formation or the style of play. If we lose they also complain about selection, formation lack of desire etc ect. They will never change. I do wonder why they bother to have any interest in the game at all. Not far from where I sit in the Mayflower there is a man who moans all the time winning or losing and if a Argyle player dares to pass backwards then they"haven't a clue"" and are useless. I can only guess he never watches premier league football and still belives hoof ball is the answer to all problems.

Jul 29, 2010
Our games against Liverpool show that on our day we can step up to match a much higher level of team than league one.

We won't be on our day every day and the season is long but I have absolutely no concerns that we'll struggle. It'll be how many of this season's best players we retain and how good the new players will be that determine how much we trouble the top ten.

But given DA's recruitment and retention record from last season I have faith in him to make us a better side once more.

I don't like expectations, they hinder us quite often. I prefer the word belief, and it's my belief that we'll be at least upper mid table.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
A lot of fans only watch their tram and mostly at home, they see their players showing moments of quality and are blinded with the notion we have say, championship level players we may well have players good enough to sustain a position in league one and comfortably but fans will always believe they have the best around for their division. I also find it humorous that league two is known as the basement, why is this? I watch Buckland Athletic in the Toolstation league which is step five, this is further down the pyramid so therefore league two cannot be the basement! I think people lose touch with reality, they assume because Argyle are the biggest city in the UK not to have had a top flight team that we should in fact be there! No we shouldn't, we are where we are because of previous owners, we now have a league two squad of players and this is where until next season we belong. Expectation should always be hope, expect the unexpected and hope for the best.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Amazes how when quoting the best example of wonder team, folk are still quoting Barcelona, hello - their days are numbered, other clubs will pay bigger money.

As for the censorship and/or genocide by the happy crowd of all Alf Garnetts, does seem drastic. I mean, if someone had blogged 'the' crucifixion, I'm certain there'd be complaints about only three going that day, #costcutting, #keepyourdistance

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
mervyn":inekgs2n said:
Like many on here I regularly look at our rival clubs fans sites, and there is an interesting common trend amongst the top half clubs, where regularly fans post to say they are underwhelmed by their team's performance, despite winning, or gaining a good away draw. On most sites it's just like reading pasoti, with complaints about unadventurous tactics, playing only one up front, and a general feeling that their team's position is not justified by the quality of play. All sounds very familiar.

Yesterday was a good example, where we played well against a team with one of the best current home records, yet many remain disappointed we didn't do better. I thought we did well for a team already promoted, with no obvious lack of desire or work rate. The Colchester fans around me (I sat half way along their main stand) were very complimentary about our team quality, and the vociferousness of the GA.

I wonder if this is because most fans supporting a club in the basement division believe they have a god-given right to waltz out of this league like a Barcelona, when in fact the standard has improved dramatically over the past twenty years, with far less hoof-ball, and games automatically won by the more muscular team.

So, what about expectation? I've watched four league 1 games this season and each time I've walked away thinking 'argyle would have matched the quality of both teams playing'. And that included play-off chasers like Millwall and Southend. I'm very optimistic for next season. COYG
I've never got onto other teams' websites but I find your observation very interesting, Mervyn.

I am not a bit surprised with your findings and I do think that we expect too much of our teams because those that are fit, well organised, determined, brave, resilient and have a few players who can change a game in an instant, like Graham Carey and Matty Kennedy, are the ones who will be successful in a 46 game league season.

The idea that we have been lucky ignores the fact that we have a manager who is totally committed to his job, researches the opposition and ensures that his players are ready to compete. Obviously, there are occasions when things go wrong but it is the teams that are able to come back that will be successful at the end of the season.

Apr 3, 2010
Nice mid table finish no dramas I think half the reason people are getting frustrated with the performances is a knock on effect of being in this league so long. People believe we shouldn't be a club that has to employ soaking up pressure tactics against teams that get less than 1/5 of our gates.

I think this promotion will lift a lot of the pressure frustration from the team at home next yr we won't be expected to deliver a promotion.

As good as Derek has done to get this team back up the leagues in everyone's head that was the minimum expected upon him and im so glad he delivered it this season else an unfortunate start next season in l2 after another failed promotion attempt the finger from some would be firmly telling him where to go.

Adams will go on to manage in the championship and above I really believe that and I just hope it's with us.

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Steve Evans":loz4ej9h said:
i believe we will finish above the bottom eight and below the top five.
I believe we will be promoted, assuming we are able to secure DAs targets.

May 16, 2016
Assuming the managerial plan is one for a Season for "consolidation" and not over extending ourselves financially in the pursuit of instant promotion, I'm expecting an enjoyable mid table no pressure Season of a more eye catching brand of football for my money.

As long as we're well clear of an instant return to L2 I'm prepared to see various tweaks to formation, tactics and personnel as DA prepares for the next big assault on a League up.

My expectation is to remain in L1 but enjoy it.

My hope / dream would be to brush it aside as a necessity to work through to get to the Championship before the PL / PL2 doors slam shut.