League 2 manager of the year | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

League 2 manager of the year

Mar 6, 2008
Plymouth
I think they called that one far to early this season, if we win the league next week it should have been Dereks. It's an amazing achievement to practically start again this season from scratch and be one game away from winning the league.

Derek Adams football genius! :nworthy:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Never understood why the awards are given out before the end of the season.

Should definitely be Adams should we get the title.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I don't think many people will agree with me, but I would say Jim Bentley.

Morecambe looked doomed coming into the season. They lost almost all of their best players for nothing and had a very small budget to replace them. They started the season with a squad that looked very poor (And after finishing last season in such terrible form). I think the Morecambe players went three months without pay at one stage this season and the club looked in turmoil with an absent owner. In January they were unable to sign players due to an embargo. They lost one of their better loanees and their star player moved to Preston, yet despite all this Jim Bentley's had them well clear of the drop all season. Okay, they're 18th now and could even finish 21st, but Bentley has pulled off a miracle to keep that side up.

Don't get me wrong, Adams has done a very, very good job. But that doesn't compare to pulling off a miracle for me.

C

Charles Plym

Argy1e":2z5q4fs0 said:

Morecambe looked doomed coming into the season. They lost almost all of their best players for nothing and had a very small budget to replace them. They started the season with a squad that looked very poor (And after finishing last season in such terrible form). I think the Morecambe players went three months without pay at one stage this season and the club looked in turmoil with an absent owner. In January they were unable to sign players due to an embargo. They lost one of their better loanees and their star player moved to Preston, yet despite all this Jim Bentley's had them well clear of the drop all season. Okay, they're 18th now and could even finish 21st, but Bentley has pulled off a miracle to keep that side up.

Don't get me wrong, Adams has done a very, very good job. But that doesn't compare to pulling off a miracle for me.

I agree
Classy bloke too

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
Argy1e":2p16p6o1 said:

A good post and put like that it's hard to disagree with. He probably is the league 2 manager of the year.

This season I remember seeing his emotions when he was presented with money from the fans to pay off a fine earlier in the season. I also recall that miserable day in November going up there and coming back with nothing! But I also remember the absent owner and thinking they're gone, they've had it. So well done Jim Bentley.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Argy1e":3unackem said:

I agree that it doesn't have to be the man who manages the team that wins the League. For instance, whilst Chris Hughton has done a great job and Rafa a decent one, surely Nigel Clough's efforts to keep home-spun Burton at that level deserve greater recognition. Higher up Conte has done brilliant at Chelsea but both Dyche and Howe look more deserving to me. Similarly, as you say Jim Bentley has done a superb job at Morecambe and as someone else said, with a great deal of charisma too.

Jul 29, 2010
The guy at Hull too, dead certs for relegation when he came I'm.

Just like the player of the month/season awards, in my book the fewer we win the better. Keeps us further off the radar.

Jan 6, 2004
Manager of season should be the manager who most manages to most exceed his clubs budget position with the league position - not sure if that would be Derek or not this season

Apr 13, 2016
Coleman and Bentley for me too.
Being a fan of such sides is laced with the bitter truth of limitation. We don't pick our teams, they pick us. I believe the fans of the 'smaller' clubs are the best fans in the country by some distance

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
If you are talking about fans and distance, I think that The Green Army win it by a country mile. I've only been to Liverpool, Stevenage and Yeovil but I know that many of our supporters have been all over the country.

Back on topic, I agree that managers with scarce resources should be considered for Manager of the Year as well as those whose teams have been successful. I certainly think that John Coleman deserved recognition in 2015/16. This season, it is so close that I would suggest whoever wins the league.

I would think that Ferguson will be embarrassed to accept it if Doncaster don't finish top.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Obviously Derek Adams but John Coleman at Stanley a very close second!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Surely Tisdale is in with a shout for reversing that run of form and getting Exeter into arguably pole position for a play-off win from bottom place in October.

Or is that sacrilege?

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Argy1e":15mo847j said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said. These awards all too often fall to the obvious choice. Bentley has done an amazing job given everything hurled at him, and he deserves due acknowledgment.

In the Premier League it should be Dyche, and in the Championship Clough or Smith at Brentford.

In League One I'd go for Alexander at Scunthorpe.