Brief Synopsis!!! (Grimsby)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) And so for the last time 2016/17. Jervis left out of the squad, Threlkeld left out in favour of last minute stand-in, Miller from last week. Slew and Bradley starters with Sokolik making way and Songo'o retaining his place. Blissett and err ? the game changers on the bench. Eventually pectin to spend one eye on the game and another on results elsewhere.

2) Conceded from Grimsby's first attack. Yet another from a corner. Argyle attacked for much of the first half but to little effect. A Carey free-kick and a crosscut shot and a header over from Songo'o the only real chances. At the other end McCormick was called on to make a couple of saves, one of them a sharp 1v1 denial when it looked like it was about to be 2-0.

3) Kennedy largely anonymous and Slew and Songo'o very poor. Carey and Taylor the only bright sparks. Towards the end of the half Argyle went 4-4-2, perhaps an indication of what we were going to attempt second half. News filtered through of scores elsewhere and the mood on the terraces dropped noticeably.

4) Adams would need to pull something out of the bag. Miller, Songo'o, Kennedy, Slew and Sarcevic would all be lucky to come out for the second 45. Slew the only change with Blissett replacing him. Argyle started the more brightly and had an early chance to equalise. As the half wore on we looked less composed. Spencer replaced Kennedy as Adams threw in one of his last cards.à

5) Almost immediately - probably his first touch, Spencer equalised! Was it back on? Miller pushed on, good play between Spencer and Taylor and Taylor's shot was parried away. 25 to go. We still needed a little more composure. Carey blasted over from the edge of the area.

6) Argyle won a free-kick on the edge of the area. Carey forced the keeper to save. Then his corner flashed through the box with no-one able to make a connection. Another free-kick, this time into the wall. News came through of a Hartlepool equaliser against Doncaster. Portsmouth were now top.

7) Argyle now resorting to hoofing it. Blissett couldn't hold the ball up. Adams last throw of the dice - Connor Smith for Fox. Another corner, at least we were giving it a go. Supply was wasteful though.

8 ) Into the last 5 and Argyle lay siege on the Grimsby goal. A lack of quality in the final ball though and nothing would fall cleanly. Taylor and Spencer both had half chances. We just couldn't do it. Fox was my man of the match and it was a surprise he was taken off. On the day we lacked composure and quality.

9) So Portsmouth are champions and we go up as runners up. Good season which ended with mild disappointment bit like a lot of the games. Oh well we are up and that was the season aim. Attention can now turn to personnel changes and the season break. See you all for pre-season.

Luke McCormick - 7
Gary Miller - 7
Yann Songo'o - 7
Sonny Bradley - 5
Gary Sawyer - 7
David Fox - 8
Antoni Sarcevic - 7
Graham Carey - 6
Matthew Kennedy - 5
Jordan Slew - 4
Ryan Taylor - 7

Vincent Dorel - unused
Oscar Threlkeld - unused
Jakub Sokolik - unused
Connor Smith - 5
Ryan Donaldson - unused
Jimmy Spencer - 6
Nathan Bissett - 5

Feb 2, 2007
Thanks for all your informative and balanced synopses, Mark- always a very good read!

Well done Argyle, let's continue the unbeaten run well into next season.

GREEN ARMY!

WE ARE GOING UP!!!

Mar 23, 2008
Gutted, shouldn't be but truly gutted. That said, we deserve promotion but do we really deserve to be champions? Probably not.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Team selection, tactics and formation 1st half cost is the title in my opinion.

Aug 15, 2008
mugged but im proud of our team. great work. pity but the home games like notts co. and orient et al is where we lost it.we gave it away.

Jun 26, 2006
Not sure why Thelkeld didn't start. Far better attacking option than Miller. I assume he was still not fit. Still think it's ironic that Ferguson got manager of the season for finishing third!

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Long trip home, gutted to have thrown it away on the last day especially with Pompey stealing it.

The Leyton Orient game was the one that erks the most

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
green_forever":2gx5fifr said:
Not sure why Thelkeld didn't start. Far better attacking option than Miller. I assume he was still not fit. Still think it's ironic that Ferguson got manager of the season for finishing third!

Can only be because he wasn't fit. Not even DA would drop him for Miller in a game we had to win.
Still don't DA 's tactics and how we lose all our composure and just play hoof ball as a plan B when we are desperate

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
samjones":187bze2k said:
green_forever":187bze2k said:

Can only be because he wasn't fit. Not even DA would drop him for Miller in a game we had to win.
Still don't DA 's tactics and how we lose all our composure and just play hoof ball as a plan B when we are desperate

At least it hasn't cost us PROMOTION but feel we have thrown the title away as only typical Argo could.

Dec 2, 2010
Jeez....yes it's gutting, but we're up and lost the title on gd. Think how Donny feel! And a month ago people were worried we may not get automatic promotion.

The Adam's critics should take solace in the knowledge that his recruitment and approach will stand us in good stead next season.

Feb 15, 2005
Too many poor home performances have cost us the silverware,safe journey home to the green army.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Bristol Rich":itxe1yi2 said:
Total anti climax. Some Argyle fans are too easily satisfied.

Lucky we had a climax before against Newport then isn't it. The ability of some to see the cherry on top of a bakewell as a turd is remarkable. And boring. And sad.

May 1, 2011
Forest of Dean Green":1nyp1vrd said:
Bristol Rich":1nyp1vrd said:
Total anti climax. Some Argyle fans are too easily satisfied.

Lucky we had a climax before against Newport then isn't it. The ability of some to see the cherry on top of a bakewell as a turd is remarkable. And boring. And sad.

I could bite here but I won't. I was at the game today and I'm telling you it was a total anti climax with too many supporters thinking it was a party when there was a job to be done. We didn't turn up and it was pretty unprofessional, but if you're happy with us blowing a rare chance to actually win a league, that's up to you.

If you want to blindly cheer and not think you might be better at Seaworld:)