Adams' Ego | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Adams' Ego

Jan 27, 2012
Does anyone here think that Adams has a high opinion of himself ?

He told the Herald that the club made good decision in appointing him and how he was very successful in Scotland.

He allegedly told Steve Evans (Mansfield) that he was the best manager outside the Premier League. I wasn't sure whether to believe that at the time, but in light of the Herald article perhaps he did ?

By the way, this isn't a criticism at Adams. Some of the best managers have big egos- Clough, Mourinho etc.

Just an observation.

Jul 29, 2010
Better a high opinion than a low opinion.

His unwavering adherence to his system, stubborn adherence it can seem, also belies a supreme confidence in his abilities over the opinions of others.

I don't like his system in certain situations, but I do like that self confidence.

Aug 24, 2011
All he is basically doing is speaking the truth, everything he thinks everyone else thinks before he says it and he has all the results to back it up no problem. I love the guy and working on facts alone is always how I do business as well!

B

Benji Bojan32

He believes in himself. Great way to live your life, if a lot more people did this then some people would find themselves a lot happier. As for DA and the way his ego is with football is perfect, it's his job, the proof is in the pudding, he is successful, he builds his own foundation and turns which ever it is into something good. If he was weak or didn't care so much this would rub off onto his players, and us as fans. He has me sold! I believe under DA anything is now possible and I'm excited to see what happens in the coming months and next season, something as football fans we should feel! Excitement, positivity and above all pride.

Jan 3, 2017
In most sports it takes a great deal of arrogance to reach the top. Accepting publicly that you have limitations is the fast-track to failure. That's why we've had 20 years or Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho blaming everyone but themselves when things go wrong. A winning mentality and long may it continue.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Benji_Bojan32":23447mef said:
He believes in himself. Great way to live your life, if a lot more people did this then some people would find themselves a lot happier. As for DA and the way his ego is with football is perfect, it's his job, the proof is in the pudding, he is successful, he builds his own foundation and turns which ever it is into something good. If he was weak or didn't care so much this would rub off onto his players, and us as fans. He has me sold! I believe under DA anything is now possible and I'm excited to see what happens in the coming months and next season, something as football fans we should feel! Excitement, positivity and above all pride.

Fine words Benji :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mar 23, 2008
Fine line between confidence and arrogant but all leaders and managers need some arrogance, as long as its under control which his is. He is in an industry where you do get stick and you need a degree of arrogance to rise above it. Plus leading a group of players, they will spot any weakness so vital that the manager has absolute faith in himself and his methods.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Slight aside about football managers with massive egos which always makes me smile is the story about Brian Clough talking off record to a local radio reporter. Cloughie was in good humour and they got talking about old-style singers that he really liked – Perry Como, Dean Martin, Bing Crisbie etc. Then Cloughie says –
” obviously Frank Sinatra was the greatest” - then he lent across the table and without a hint of intentional humour said : “Do you know that he met me once?” ...Brilliant - you can’t teach that level of self-confidence.

Feb 2, 2007
I like this in a Manager and Derek has every right to say it with his record and on the record- its credible and authentic and that's good enough for me. He's a winner and I can't see him settling for mid table mediocrity or consolidation for long, if at all.

Love the story Ave_IT too, they don't make them like they used too!

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
gaspargomez":32gwt39u said:
Does anyone here think that Adams has a high opinion of himself ?

He told the Herald that the club made good decision in appointing him and how he was very successful in Scotland.

He allegedly told Steve Evans (Mansfield) that he was the best manager outside the Premier League. I wasn't sure whether to believe that at the time, but in light of the Herald article perhaps he did ?

By the way, this isn't a criticism at Adams. Some of the best managers have big egos- Clough, Mourinho etc.

Just an observation.

Adams telling Steve Evans that he was the best manager outside the Premiership would get Evans bursting a gasket.

Evans considers himself Gods gift to football and he would not be able to take such comments.....good thinking Derek.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Not forgetting the fact that he seems to have piddled on both Darren Ferguson and Paul Cook's fireworks lately if their comments about him are anything to go by! :think:

Mar 14, 2009
If the boot was on the other foot and we were subjected to Adams as an opposition L2/L1 manager he would of been talked about in the same breath as a Ainsworth's on here.

However, as he is our manager he can do no wrong. We as fans love his self confidence because we want to be seen as the best club in that particular league. He talks himself and the club up. Whilst he is producing results people simply won't care. The problems he may encounter is IF he tells fans how good a job he is going and yet results take a turn for the worse.

There will be a "sticky" patch at some point you would imagine. At that point it will be interesting to see how his ego deals with it.

From a personal point of you l see nothing wrong with it. Yet unlike most on PASOTI l actually like Ainsworth because l think on the budget he gets he is working miracles with that football club. Yes they are a "direct" side but when you look at Argyle against Crewe and Grimsby we brought on Blissett and pumped it long and had better success. Ainsworth believes himself like Adams. If you notice all the ""ego" type managers like Cook, Ainsworth, Evans....Adams doesn't get on with because they are fiercely competitive.