Argyle Archive and its exhibition *Photos now on GoS*

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
A heads-up for everyone ...

A fascinating exhibition of rare photos and artefacts from Argyle's past - including a genuine 1930s shirt - is being held next weekend (Sat 27th and Sun 28th, 10:00 - 14:00) in the Tribute Lounge at Home Park. It marks the launch of a new, volunteer-run, not-for-profit body: Plymouth Argyle Heritage Archive (PAHA).

Argyle Archive's website is now up and running at argylearchive.org.uk. You can find full details of both PAHA and the exhibition there, and how you can join in.

All are welcome next Saturday and Sunday - entry is free and there's a raffle with some great prizes, not to mention tea/coffee, and while it lasts, cake!

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
cheshiregreen":zkog9oeu said:
Not seen any reference on here to this.

http://argylearchive.org.uk/

No harm in a bit of publicity on this site. Have the club promoted it? I see the Tribute Lounge is being used for the exhibition on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th.

The web site has an announcement when I looked a few minutes ago.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Sounds interesting although I can't go.

As an aside, I would have thought that one of the most logical things for the PAHA to do would be to maintain a brilliant digital archive of all things Argyle related...!

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
The thought is simmering nicely, Doc!

And the official site has a good plug for it now.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
I think that's what the Doc was suggesting, CG, and it could well happen. But remember, PAHA might take ownership but that's the easy bit - it still needs people to run in.

But that's not for this week ... don't forget to get up to the Tribute Lounge next Saturday or Sunday, 10:00 - 14:00.

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
It seems to me there are essentially two parts to GreensOnScreen: 1. all the archive/heritage elements, and 2. the current season's content - games, photos, video & sound clips, stats etc. They sort of fulfil two different but complementary roles.

The former (the content of which is huge and invaluable) is reasonably static being enhanced as time allows, and also when the current season becomes the past season and content is either pensioned off or archived for posterity. The latter is far more dynamic, and requires constant time, effort and commitment throughout the season to keep it up to date and relevant. I know I'm simplifying, but isn't that the essence?

Isn't there an argument to split GoS into two, with all the invaluable and irreplaceable archive elements being subsumed into Plymouth Argyle Heritage Archive on some basis where it will have proper and professional custodianship? Then run the current season contemporary GoS on a day-today, game-to-game basis across the season, before selectively archiving content off into the Archive?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would be hesitant about the club having it.

Only in so much we are then back to the debate of what 'the club' really means.

This board of Directors I'd trust the the nth degree but myself and Ian De Lar once attended a meeting with two employees of the previous board where we were told in no uncertain terms, that they could close GoS and Pasoti 'just like that' and the person used a snap of his fingers.

So, things change and we should always remain mindful of that fact.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
FMG, from a bird's eye view (and it's very useful to stand back sometimes) you are absolutely right - Greens on Screen has evolved into two starkly different things, and on the face of it the historical side is tailor-made for the Argyle Archive.

My only hesitation in making that clear distinction is that I want GoS-DB to continue as a complete record - that is, from the earliest match to the absolute latest and not, for instance, to the last match of the previous season. And its record for every match should contain as much detail as possible, so for the early days it will probably never be much more than a score, team line-up, etc, but at the other end of the timeline, it should contain a summary report and whatever multimedia content that's available. And here's the dilema - that should equally apply to the very latest match.

All that said, in many ways you are absolutely right. That's the challenge.

And Ian, I completely understand where you are coming from and I think it's fair to say that everyone involved in setting up PAHA was mindful of that. That is why we went down the road of setting up a legally independent company, properly registered at Companies House, whose articles promote cooperation between fans and club, but also ensure that, should the dark day return, such people would have no such power.

You'll know that I'm very much involved in PAHA - that's partly because I do see it as possibly the best way forward for Greens on Screen, and if it suits both parties, I want to be in there to make it happen. But I can't stress enough that this means ownership, including paying the bills etc, and it does NOT mean that GoS is therefore secure. Plymouth Argyle Heritage Archive is a volunteer-run body, and it's still going to need some extraordinary help, day to day and year on year, to keep GoS going.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
My thinking was that a properly constituted not-for-profit body like PAHA could potentially act as the locus for fund-raising targeted towards he ongoing maintenance and development of GoS much better than any individual or group of individuals could do so. I expect that SOME (not all) of the issues associated with keeping GoS alive could be solved through financial means and if PAHA could take on the management of GoS in some way then that might open up some different/useful ways forward.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Now advertised on the Herald website:

Herald

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It was a very enjoyable evening with lots of memorabilia to look at.
Graham Little told some fantastic stories, what a great memory he has and an entertaining way of telling his stories.

If you're free this weekend get up to Home Park and have a look around. :)