The end of BBC Live radio rights for Championship, L1 & L2? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The end of BBC Live radio rights for Championship, L1 & L2?

Mar 14, 2009
Link

Sad news as I'm guessing this news will result in the end of hearing live Argyle matches on Radio Devon.

I guess money talks, but the advantage the BBC had was they have local radio stations who can provide coverage of their local team. I'm not sure you will be hearing many League one or two games on Talk Sport or Talk Sport 2 (apart from international weekends).

The football league say this is a good move for supporters. Not sure how because BBC local radio is one of the best platforms to provide access to people who couldn't/cant follow their local team home and away. Its seems the people in charge of the football league unfortunately have become very much like the premier league and think not about the game and its supporters but how much money they can make. This article highlights the delight the football league have in pointing this out.

As the checkatrade trophy has shown they say they want to listen but actually aren't interested in what supporters have to say. Its a shame that a changing financial marketplace has rapidly had such an impact on football that it even now impacts radio broadcasting rights because of how much more money can be squeezed out of the product.

Jul 29, 2012
It will be very sad and disappointing if this means that local coverage through the BBC local stations is lost . It is a " a crutch" to many people who can't get to games enabling them to follow games live rather than awaiting goal flashes .

Jul 29, 2012
Have just checked, can't do the link but there Isis an article on " wales on line" which states that BBC wales have confirmed that local coverage through BBC local stations is unaffected. The deal only relates to national coverage e.g. 5 live, 5 live extra.

May 16, 2016
Perhaps the BBC can broadcast local games 'under licence' from Talksport ?

I wonder what effect this will have on Argyle World coverage, considering the Live Feed options coming up.

If it is for all games and not just national coverage, Talksport online Club subscriptions loom ?

Mar 14, 2009
pafcdje":1c7q9hjc said:
Have just checked, can't do the link but there Isis an article on " wales on line" which states that BBC wales have confirmed that local coverage through BBC local stations is unaffected. The deal only relates to national coverage e.g. 5 live, 5 live extra.

Well I do hope that is the case.

When I see the word "exclusive" normally it would just refer to themselves.

It might be that they will allow the BBC to provide coverage for games they wont be able to broadcast. Yet, in the article the BBC are not mentioned at all in reference to any "live" matches.

I'm wondering if BBC Wales are referring to Welsh teams in the Welsh national league who don't play in the English Football League?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Shaun Harvey strikes again! How can one guy ruin lower league football so much?

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
Local radio rights are normally completely different deals to the national ones, arranged on a club by club basis, so I wouldn't think Radio Devon's Argyle coverage will be effected?

Mar 14, 2009
Pafcdje was right....

Link

Strange deal. Only affects BBC national stations it appears like 5 live.

So TalkSport have the football league in national terms of broadcasting match commentaries whilst the BBC can still supply match commentaries for your local club. With the digital age we live it will mean commentaries should be easy enough to come by DAB or the Internet.

Therefore the BBC will provide just as much coverage, if not more, as TalkSport for league football. The article seems misleading and their announcement on the radio this morning about it isn't therefore as good as it makes out. I would imagine most football fans who can't attend games have been using BBC local radio for some time so l can't imagine people switching to TalkSport to listen to a game unless there happens to be no alternative coverage.

The BBC should be promoting their local radio stations that cover local regional football. Can't find any article where the BBC is promoting this service regarding the new broadcasting deal, which l find questionable. Especially when TalkSport are making it sound like a huge broadcasting coup.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Guiri Green":23ftyfi8 said:
If it is for all games and not just national coverage, Talksport online Club subscriptions loom ?
Argyle are lucky in one sense in that Radio Devon commentate on every game. You don't get this in other counties and most clubs employ their own commentators for the Player service, which is what I'd imagine would have happened if it was for all games.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Bermudian Green":2obamwmg said:
When you sign up for Argyle Player, the commentary is provided by the BBC. We pay Argyle Player for commentary, which means it still must be provided on a local level by someone.

Not all clubs use the BBC. I know a few years ago (and it may still be the same now) Wolves' arrangement was with Beacon Radio and it was their coverage that went out on Wolves Player each week.

Oct 11, 2014
Lundan Cabbie":1c3bwpok said:
Bermudian Green":1c3bwpok said:
When you sign up for Argyle Player, the commentary is provided by the BBC. We pay Argyle Player for commentary, which means it still must be provided on a local level by someone.

Not all clubs use the BBC. I know a few years ago (and it may still be the same now) Wolves' arrangement was with Beacon Radio and it was their coverage that went out on Wolves Player each week.

That was the Goalzone with Tom Ross. BRMB, Beacon and Mercia (now Free Radio and coverage moved to Free Radio 80s) used to network up and cover all Villa, Birmingham City, West Brom, Wolves and Coventry City games on various frequencies across the West Midlands and also on Wolves Player. Was probably the best local football coverage of their day, with phone ins post match, plus two football phone in shows on Monday and Friday night's.

Sadly this ended a couple years back, but Tom can be heard on Talksport now.