Pitch Invasions | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Pitch Invasions

Mar 14, 2009
This article worries me for a couple of reasons

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/pla...ch-invasions/story-30385115-detail/story.html

Now l understand you can't have fans gaining entry onto the field of play at every opportunity. Yeah, l feel in the case of a promotion celebration at the end of season where on earth is the harm?

Now, in this article l'm slightly concerned that the football league debated a topic where they seem to have taken no responsibility in creating the situation that was caused at Leyton Orient. For if they had better measures and rules in place stoping people like Bechlotti ruining football clubs after they take over then maybe drastic protests on the football pitch wouldn't of happened in the first place. I suppose the football league are extremely happy Blackpool fans wouldn't of invaded the pitch as most have stayed away protesting about how the Oystons have run the club.

The football league should be focussing on this. Things that matter to our game. They should be making sure when someone takes over a football club they give the FL a refundable bond in case that club gets into difficulties and then the FL step in.

The other part is of this article that l find worrying is the term "robust". I find if stewards are helpful, friendly and are willing to engage (this being the key word) with the fans then it makes for the best experience. Strict measures where your treating adults like school children will only result in more trouble. I often read other football fans forums and one of the things that often arise from comments is the way they were badly treated in some cases. This "robust" attitude may be needed for some idiots, at HP. Your always going to get that. Yet to use it as a general practice seems wrong to me.

Now there is a guy on YouTube called Adam Thurston. He goes up and down the country watching football and just generally giving an impartial view of matches. He came down to watch Plymouth v Liverpool. After 18 mins in the video he was some interesting views of the Argyle stewards and said how they were no comparison to Liverpool.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=exJXoQ7iPb0

And this is a guy who goes to football all over the country.

I do believe if our great away following was stewarded by Argyle that's many fans wouldn't see the end of the game. For example, at Cheltenham most people were stood up out if their seat for must of the game. I appreciate this sometimes isn't helpful but the Cheltenham stewards were using a common sense approach where they could.

So maybe, just maybe Mr Starnes the "robust" approach doesn't work.

Feb 8, 2005
In this day and age, pitch invasions can put the footballers on the pitch in serious harm. Who's to say that someone with a knife does not use the invasion as cover to do harm to one or more of the footballers on the pitch.

You can certainly see where the EFL are coming from and Martin Starnes is rightly coming out on the side of the footballer staff, and pitch invasions must somehow be prevented.

The fanbase rightly want to celebrate another end of the season, and some Clubs will be celebrating something more.

From a Health and Safety point of view, Pitch Invasions should not be allowed, but they seem to be a problem that cannot at present be readily resolved easily.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Who could foresee how Bechlotti would run Leyton Orient? Barry Hearn believed he had passed the club onto the right man. What would the EFL have found that they could say he was unfit to become a Football Club owner? I like the idea of a bond being secured with the EFL but would that lead to fewer clubs being rescued? Would James Brent have been able to rescue Argyle if he also had to lodge money with the football authorities before putting a single penny into Home Park?

As for pitch invasions, I've never understood the need to go onto the pitch to celebrate and I have certainly never had the desire to do it myself. Some say it is to be with the players but that can't be right because the first thing the players then do is get off the pitch as soon as possible.

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
I often wonder why people want to see pitch invasions on the basis 'what is the harm?' and criticise safety stewards who are there to ensure that the conditions of entry are complied with. Everyone who enters a football ground agrees to observe the conditions as set down, not just those they agree with or want to see in place while ignoring the ones they can't see the point of. I was present at a game at Millwall in the 1960s when, at the end of the game, people ran on the pitch and the ref got knocked out. If that happened at HP leading to the ground being closed for 6 months, there would be calls for the offender to be brought to justice and banned which would be possible with video of a single invader but not a crowd. If the FA penalised clubs with a 10 point penalty for invasions, perhaps costing a hard earned promotion, how many morons would still insist on doing it?

Mar 14, 2009
Barrie Davis":1hekz957 said:
I often wonder why people want to see pitch invasions on the basis 'what is the harm?' and criticise safety stewards who are there to ensure that the conditions of entry are complied with. Everyone who enters a football ground agrees to observe the conditions as set down, not just those they agree with or want to see in place while ignoring the ones they can't see the point of. I was present at a game at Millwall in the 1960s when, at the end of the game, people ran on the pitch and the ref got knocked out. If that happened at HP leading to the ground being closed for 6 months, there would be calls for the offender to be brought to justice and banned which would be possible with video of a single invader but not a crowd. If the FA penalised clubs with a 10 point penalty for invasions, perhaps costing a hard earned promotion, how many morons would still insist on doing it?

Actually, I do agree with something like a points penalty for pitch invasions during the course of the season. However, what would stop a rival fan going to a match, invading the pitch and getting that club a points penalty. Sure the fan would get a ban but like most morons would probably see it as a moral victory if it mean that club got a points penalty.

I remember at the end of this season, watching from the place where I sat as people came onto the pitch at the end of the match against Newport. Fans and players celebrated with each other and it was a touching moment. People are correct in the sense of what happens if someone has a knife but then is it any worse than someone having a flair when Argyle go away, because of the potential risks to everyone around them?

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Anybody who encroaches the field of play in the case of winning promotion should be BANNED indefinitely from HOME PARK :furious: Why do these cretins think they can protest against their owners such as at Brisbane Road?? :facepalm: These man children need to serve hard time, then we'll see how tough they are! :funny:

Jan 3, 2013
loyal1970":2agw05e7 said:
Knarf Reprah":2agw05e7 said:
No pitch invasions, and SIT DOWN you can't see any better
stay at home and sit in ur armchair and watch football then.

Typical blinkered selfish opinion. I went to Grimsby with the senior greens, 15 hours on a coach and some of the old boys didn't see any of the match because the likes of you insisted on ignorantly standing.
Wait until you're aged.......

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
People can, and should, be ejected for standing. Stadiums designed for seated audiences will support the weight of standing spectators but, if they start moving collectively or jumping up and down, the dynamic resonance (I think) could cause structural damage and subsequent collapse. Several thousand Celtic fans decided to stand and sway during a pre-season friendly at Anfield with the result that the stand was moving from side to side.

Jun 22, 2008
Taunton
loyal1970":28vzq7a1 said:
Knarf Reprah":28vzq7a1 said:

Idiotic response. You totally miss the point the point of what it is to part of a community. I simply take reassurance that there are currently fewer people like you than the rest. The day that selfish individuals make up the majority will be a depressing time for society as a whole.

Knarf Reprah":3vx5mfmw said:
loyal1970":3vx5mfmw said:
Knarf Reprah":3vx5mfmw said:

Typical blinkered selfish opinion. I went to Grimsby with the senior greens, 15 hours on a coach and some of the old boys didn't see any of the match because the likes of you insisted on ignorantly standing.

Out of interest, how did you behave when you were young?

Jan 3, 2013
Bermudian Green":19kawq1s said:
Knarf Reprah":19kawq1s said:
loyal1970":19kawq1s said:
Knarf Reprah":19kawq1s said:

Out of interest, how did you behave when you were young?

There was terracing then

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Knarf Reprah":2s1l6p0g said:
loyal1970":2s1l6p0g said:
Knarf Reprah":2s1l6p0g said:

He's only a few years behind you Frank.

Jul 3, 2013
Barrie Davis":pyjdugra said:
People can, and should, be ejected for standing. Stadiums designed for seated audiences will support the weight of standing spectators but, if they start moving collectively or jumping up and down, the dynamic resonance (I think) could cause structural damage and subsequent collapse. Several thousand Celtic fans decided to stand and sway during a pre-season friendly at Anfield with the result that the stand was moving from side to side.

I remember the Stand at Blackpool behind the goal that we filled up one year, it seemed like it was going to collapse after Marino Keith scored.
People who constantly stand will very rarely be towards the front so ample space for those that moan about it, anybody that moans about fans standing when it's a free kick around the box or an attacking phase just need to get a life.