Sam Gallagher (Sell on clause?) | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Sam Gallagher (Sell on clause?)

Aug 17, 2005
Does anyone know if there is a sell on clause for him. At the moment its rumoured Aston Villa are after him and the purchase price is seven million.

Aug 17, 2005
Okay I think I have this right. As he was sixteen when he transferred to Southampton under the EPPP rules we would be entitled to twenty per cent of the transfer fee plus five per cent from any further transfer fees. The article I read was from the Daily Mirror online but Norwich and Cardiff on top of Aston Villa are meant to be after him. They have been quoted a fee of seven million which would mean us getting 1.4 million

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
signalspast":4dbnxz1l said:
Okay I think I have this right. As he was sixteen when he transferred to Southampton under the EPPP rules we would be entitled to twenty per cent of the transfer fee plus five per cent from any further transfer fees. The article I read was from the Daily Mirror online but Norwich and Cardiff on top of Aston Villa are meant to be after him. They have been quoted a fee of seven million which would mean us getting 1.4 million

I have no reason to question the figures above, but if the 20% is the case, then the EPPP is surely a good thing for lower league clubs?

If we'd been able to negotiate at the time, would we have got £700,000 plus a 10% sell on? Doubt it.

Seems a good deal for Argyle to me. These players snapped up at a young age will be worth more playing for the better teams and then moving on rather than spending 4 years in our reserves hoping someone comes in with a big money move.

May 14, 2016
I can't see him going for £7m. Anything around £5m though would still give us a decent amount if the 20% clause is correct.

Jul 29, 2010
Adam_R":3a6e5pho said:
signalspast":3a6e5pho said:

I have no reason to question the figures above, but if the 20% is the case, then the EPPP is surely a good thing for lower league clubs?

If we'd been able to negotiate at the time, would we have got £700,000 plus a 10% sell on? Doubt it.

Seems a good deal for Argyle to me. These players snapped up at a young age will be worth more playing for the better teams and then moving on rather than spending 4 years in our reserves hoping someone comes in with a big money move.
Like many things, on a first simplistic glance it does look good. But just like many things too, when you pan out and look at the bigger picture the glass doesn't look so full.

A high six or even seven figure sum for a former schoolboy we didn't have to develop ourselves is indeed good, not gonna hear any arguments to the contrary.

But for every Gallagher there are dozens and dozens of less able players who get taken by premiership academies and never get heard from again. These players may not turn out to be the diamond the academy was hoping for but they could have done a perfectly good job for the lower league team they were taken from.

And it's not as if we had a choice whether to retain him and keep his development in house with us, under the academy rules if they want, they get, end of.

The way they abuse the unfair advantage the academy rules gives them is to take the 'gold rush' approach to things. They travel the length and breadth of the country buying up prospects then pan the dirt in the hope of finding just one wee nugget. The amount of spoil is enormous, it just gets discarded.

I don't think the rare bonus of a windfall from this arrangement should cloud judgement as to quite what an abusive second class relationship it is being a non academy club. It stinks.

Jul 29, 2010
A big fat nuffin' Chunks, just a lot of people jumping up in fright at the sight of their own shadow.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
chunkymonkey78":2hdirj1r said:
Ade the green":2hdirj1r said:
Maybe this should spend some time on the main board. Possibly some good news to offset the last day or so?

Why what's gone wrong in the last day or so?

Did I say anything went 'wrong'? Tell me this isn't better news than worrying about losing Carey or Adams?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
X Isle":36m0szhu said:
Adam_R":36m0szhu said:
signalspast":36m0szhu said:

Like many things, on a first simplistic glance it does look good. But just like many things too, when you pan out and look at the bigger picture the glass doesn't look so full.

A high six or even seven figure sum for a former schoolboy we didn't have to develop ourselves is indeed good, not gonna hear any arguments to the contrary.

But for every Gallagher there are dozens and dozens of less able players who get taken by premiership academies and never get heard from again. These players may not turn out to be the diamond the academy was hoping for but they could have done a perfectly good job for the lower league team they were taken from.

And it's not as if we had a choice whether to retain him and keep his development in house with us, under the academy rules if they want, they get, end of.

The way they abuse the unfair advantage the academy rules gives them is to take the 'gold rush' approach to things. They travel the length and breadth of the country buying up prospects then pan the dirt in the hope of finding just one wee nugget. The amount of spoil is enormous, it just gets discarded.

I don't think the rare bonus of a windfall from this arrangement should cloud judgement as to quite what an abusive second class relationship it is being a non academy club. It stinks.

Why do you say that we 'did not have to develop him ourselves' when he spent 6 years (from age 11 to 17) with Argyle's youth academy?

I would have thought that was a crucial 6 year period of his youth development.

Jul 29, 2010
Missing the word further...."we didn't have to further develop ourselves". I wasn't implying Argyle did nothing in Sam's development, merely we have not had any involvement from the point he left to now.

Feb 23, 2008
Ade the green":25wa0o6r said:
chunkymonkey78":25wa0o6r said:
Ade the green":25wa0o6r said:
Maybe this should spend some time on the main board. Possibly some good news to offset the last day or so?

Did I say anything went 'wrong'? Tell me this isn't better news than worrying about losing Carey or Adams?

Probably poorly worded then but you obviously got my gist.

If Carey is going he's going, if he stays then that's fantastic. We've all had months to prepare ourselves for the possibility of him going. Best player I've seen at HP for years. Worried? Nope.

Same with DA. Great manager as far as what he's achieved for the club. He's already stated he'll return to Scotland sometime but not yet, he's not given us any reason to not trust him so far has he?

Wasn't the DA off to Aberdeen rumour literally started by the Record with no quotes from the man himself? Why does something like that need offsetting?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
chunkymonkey78":2nylcgrv said:
Ade the green":2nylcgrv said:
chunkymonkey78":2nylcgrv said:
Ade the green":2nylcgrv said:

If Carey is going he's going, if he stays then that's fantastic. We've all had months to prepare ourselves for the possibility of him going. Best player I've seen at HP for years. Worried? Nope.

Same with DA. Great manager as far as what he's achieved for the club. He's already stated he'll return to Scotland sometime but not yet, he's not given us any reason to not trust him so far has he?

Wasn't the DA off to Aberdeen rumour literally started by the Record with no quotes from the man himself? Why does something like that need offsetting?

Yes I got your gist, did you even try to get mine?

Seriously, you're telling me that hearing we might have a windfall of possibly over £1m is not better to hear than posting about losing possibly our manager and most influential player and I do know that neither has happened yet but it was all we've been talking about.

My original post, if you can think back that far was merely suggesting that the thread should not be hidden away and like most organisations good news shouldn't be tucked out the way.

Don't talk to me as if I'm an idiot and your original post was just making what point exactly?

B

Bonehead

Eh , cutting through all this bulls..t , are we getting any money?

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Ade the green":3ck8dbgq said:
chunkymonkey78":3ck8dbgq said:
chunkymonkey78":3ck8dbgq said:

Yes I got your gist, did you even try to get mine?

Seriously, you're telling me that hearing we might have a windfall of possibly over £1m is not better to hear than posting about losing possibly our manager and most influential player and I do know that neither has happened yet but it was all we've been talking about.

My original post, if you can think back that far was merely suggesting that the thread should not be hidden away and like most organisations good news shouldn't be tucked out the way.

Don't talk to me as if I'm an idiot and your original post was just making what point exactly?

Jesus chaps. Get a grip and chill the hell out will you