Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI   IJN Payments
Until the end of season:

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clarification needed
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:38 am 
Member Staff

JonB wrote:
John Petrie wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
John Petrie wrote:
A simple question for you in return. Do you think that the atmosphere at Home Park is good and intimidates the opposition?

And a simple question in return: Do you think that results and performances over the past 3/4 years have done anything to encourage a good atmosphere?

Good point, time for everyone to stop bothering, we've got an excuse not to.

Blimey chaps - surely this habit of dousing anybody with an alternative viewpoint with a fatal dose of sarcasm is damaging to our aims??

For what it's worth, my views are that the Ultras are definitely worth starting up & could be a real feature of home games.....

However during our most recent successful times, the atmosphere at HP was amazing & I recall several teams making mention of the mighty Home Park atmosphere....

That this has evaporated in recent years is nothing to do with the lack of a coordinated group of highly-vocal fans, it's (to me ) because we've been unable to become excited about watching the failing efforts of a group of not-up-to-it professional footballers.

It's not really a British thing to extravagantly support an unsuccessful team - I would suggest that it's unheard of this side of the Midlands.

To heap ridicule on those questioning attempts to buck this trend says - arguably - more about the reasons behind our, at times fractured fan base than any differing viewpoint ever will.

Let's support what we want to support & question what we want to question without having to suffer the sarcasm & patronising put-downs that ultimately, will defeat the very goal that those offering the ridicule are targeting.

Well said sir.The point i was trying to get across was that the most sure fire way to create a buzzing atmosphere at any ground is to have a team on the pitch which plays some decent football and looks as though it may win a game or two.I don't agree with the general notion that the atmosphere has been totally crap in recent years anyway.Reid was very complimentary about the support given by HP fans last season in a lot of the games and i just hope that if this attempt to create crowd participation fails,then a janner bashing exercise doesn't result,which i suspect it may.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 am 
Friend Sponsor

I think a lot of fans like to see the european fans singing and dancing and would love to do it here but its not been our way traditionally. but getting together to organise it we can do it and take all the fun aspects of the european ultras and make it happen, it will be better for the players and fun in the stands.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:11 am 
Friend Sponsor Staff

I should perhaps don my tin hat before saying that I'm also a little sceptical whether the European idea will translate at Home Park. However, the atmosphere at Home Park does need a boost so I'll be booking my ticket in the Demport for the Aldershot match to see if it works. Haven't seen the Palace Ultras so can't comment on them but the small bunch of Accrington fans give it a good go.

M

Post subject: Clarification needed
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:13 am 

Speaking as an exile so forgive me forgive me for speaking as one away from HP, but my understanding is that the Ultras will reside in the Demport. Is it at all possible to find a middie ground in this debate and put out an invitation for anyone who would like to be part of the 'Lyndhurst Ultras', 'Mayflower Ultras' or 'Family Ultras'. If that is just being naive no problem, its only an idea. Ready to be told that I haven't been to HP lately.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:17 am 

John Petrie wrote:
A simple question for you in return. Do you think that the atmosphere at Home Park is good and intimidates the opposition?

No i don't and i think all efforts to improve this are commendable, but its a hell of a job given there is nobody on the mayflower terrace or great swathes of the lyndehurst. Intimidation of the away dugout is non existent these days even though it probably didn't really effect them it is something else for them to deal with. Zoo corner was always by far the most vocal area in the ground and in general drowned out the opposition singing something impossible to do by 40 people in block 3. As has been said until we are getting bigger crowds and winning games these things won't change to much, but good luck i'll buy my green and black scarf but don't ask me to sit behind the goal the view is awful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:26 am 

Those of us that have been around long enough to remember the Demport in its prime don't remember every game (we've got GoS for that) but what sticks with us is the atmosphere of a game.
My son has been attending away games since 2004 and loves the way the GA creates noise everywhere we go, so much so that on the few occasions he has been to HP (in the Demport)
he has come away disappointed with the atmosphere he has experienced.
I see the Ultras initiative as a way of concentrating vocal support at HP in the same way as it is concentrated at away grounds. A consequence of this will be that the match-going experience for a younger generation will be much more enjoyable, it will encourage them to tell their mates at school/college and create a sustainable, larger fanbase of younger greens for whom Saturdays in the Demport will be as memorable as they are for me 30+ years down the line.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:46 am 

Suppose theres no harm in giving this ultra stuff a go, but i dont want to end up going to some kiddies pantomine with cheer leaders every match. Results and good performences on the pitch will increase the atmosphere level, which hasnt been good at home park since the 80s anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:48 am 

Maybe all the more vocal support comes from our own "away" fans that can get to games in London but not all the games at HP.
Surely everyone that likes to sing and chant knows by now that to enjoy that side of the game they need to go to the DE.
If there are singers and chanters in the Lyndhurst they are out-numbered by those that wish to concentrate on the game, not reading their hymnbooks.
Atmosphere will not return until we have a four sided stadium.
As for large flags, another example of the uber fans not actually being able to see the pitch.

Good luck with the Ultras but if it's manufactured it will always look wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 am 

I don't think there is any harm in trying this idea, but like I've read somewhere else on these boards, it has to be all or nothing because if its not done right it could become a bit of a laughing stock.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:27 am 
Sponsor Staff

We won't know whether it'll work until we give it a go. Where's the harm in trying? Chris is a great organiser and the time is right to consolidate the renewed passion of the Green Army. The Ultras are there for those that want to join in, which will be the younger fans I'm guessing. I don't see that as meaning I'm any less of a fan. Let's try to be positive about new ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:38 am 
Agree with the last two posts.

It's not my cup of tea, as I'm a boring 58 year old fart, but let them have a carck at it, and if it brings more youngsters into the park, where's the problem with that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:51 am 
Member Sponsor2 Staff

IJN wrote:
Agree with the last two posts.

It's not my cup of tea, as I'm a boring 58 year old fart, but let them have a carck at it, and if it brings more youngsters into the park, where's the problem with that.

I agree with this although I am only a 46 year old boring fart.

However, I think the danger is, and I can already see this happening a little, that the Italian Mob will see themselves as being somehow superior, or elite, fans and ride rough-shod over the opinions/thoughts/feelings of others. Argyle needs all kinds of fans not just an especially vocal group and, in fact, the very best crowd moments at Home Park occur ONLY when the quiet ones are roused to create noise by action on the picture or, in some cases, an almost spooky spontaneity. For example, THE best moment if the Fans Reunited game was when, without warning, EVERYONE stood up and cried out for the Greens. That moment just emerged and was much more powerful than the somewhat more organised left-side/right-side chanting. I accept that without the generally noisy ones the whole crowd may not have spontaneously lifted - my point is that those 'in' the group need to appreciate that they will only achieve what they really want by drawing those 'out' of the group into things and this won't happen by becoming exclusive or superior in any way.

So, good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:03 am 
Member Sponsor

I think it's a cracking idea and if it's half as successful as the Palace ultras, it'll do wonders for the atmos.

The group could start with one simple premise: slow down! A drum could help set a rhythm as it feels a little too speed garage sometimes rather than a decent tempo that will build an atmosphere and sustain it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next