Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI   Auction Payments
New Season Started:

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sparksy for G.A.S Board.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:14 pm 
Friend Member Sponsor Staff

tonycholwell wrote:
Kevin,

You are very kind even though I sense an impish grin being suppressed :greensmile:

In the past week or so I have "engaged" with Argyle in time honoured fashion. I have spoken with James Brent to ensure my Guildhall offering could be properly heard this time by him:), had an excellent exchange of emails with the Stadium Manager; have spoken to some other senior staff members with particular requests. All have been conducted respectfully and beneficially as such requests have always been handled by the excellent staff at Argyle. Importantly, all have been dealt with swiftly with nothing taking more than a couple of days.

True engagement is having direct contact and both parties happily agreeing to the contact.

Im not so sure Id like to delegate that to an unknown 3rd party to raise (or not) in 2 months time at the next meeting of the Gas Board.

Call me picky, but as I dont belong to any 3rd party grouping as geographically there is nothing near me I have always found it easier to do things for myself. But as I have said elsewhere, lets wait to see the detail, but as things stand I can not see how or why I would stand.

Independents have their limits.

:greensmile:

COYGs

Impish grin as I can tell you love a good commitee meeting! Seriously though, you've demonstrated an ability to constructively question/criticise the big names in front of hundreds of people on many occasions. Constructive critism is what the GASB will be all about, and as your reply shows you are not afraid to do that. Of course, as well as the GASB, I do hope that the club will open to constructive critism and suggestions to all supporters on a daily basis. With JB running the show I am confident this will be the case.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:29 pm 
I wouldn't want Tony representing me Kevin.

1) He'd take almost as long as Peter Ryan to ask a question.

2) He's a Northerner

3) He'd fall out with the Trust member of the GAS Board on every occasions.

4) He IS very old.

For those reasons, I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:33 pm 

IJN wrote:

2) He's a Northerner

4) He IS very old.

:greensmile:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:37 pm 

so looking at this thread and reading between the lines,,,,we are talking about 7 reps here?,,,,,so maybe,,,)two, independent fans chosen out the hat ? two season ticket holders?two fans voted for,?,and a member of the GTs,,,also would say its probably fair to give reps 12months (six meetings)and then go again,,,,,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:42 pm 

totnes comie mike wrote:
so looking at this thread and reading between the lines,,,,we are talking about 7 reps here?,,,,,so maybe,,,)two, independent fans chosen out the hat ? two season ticket holders?two fans voted for,?,and a member of the GTs,,,also would say its probably fair to give reps 12months (six meetings)and then go again,,,,,

If I remember rightly, the board of 7 reps will consist of one from the Trust, one from the GT's one to represent the supporters branches and then 4 other elected members.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:00 pm 

Kevin_Gollop wrote:
totnes comie mike wrote:

If I remember rightly, the board of 7 reps will consist of one from the Trust, one from the GT's one to represent the supporters branches and then 4 other elected members.

ok kevin i wasnt aware of that,,,,the post above is just off the top of my head,,the elected bit dosent seem right to me for reasons ive posted before,,so ile be hopeing for at least some random selection,,,how do you start a poll on pasoti?would be intersted to see what people think,,,random or elected,,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:35 pm 

Yes. Why? Actually less because of his fanaticism and more because of his experience and his profession, it's easy to forget that Sparksy is an experienced broadcast journalist, with outstanding communications skills. Lets not forget that he would have been close to many of the parties M7, fans, players, staff involved in our near death experience and has handled himself superbly in mind during such times.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm 

IJN wrote:

2) He's a Northerner

4) He IS very old.

Whilst considering those 4 reasons are at least actionable the conclusion isnt :greensmile:

I see the Gas Board as a talking shop and I already belong to one of those, but one with at least some powers to make a
difference. This is a clever JB device to give the illusion of change whilst maintaining the staus quo and quite right. The arguements already about who, where , what why and how are already starting and as I have said many many times I have only ever aspired to being a fan. An unshackled fan.

Nothing more, nothing less.

COYGs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm 

Yes. Why? Actually less because of his fanaticism and more because of his experience and his profession, it's easy to forget that Sparksy is an experienced broadcast journalist, with outstanding communications skills. Lets not forget that he would have been close to many of the parties M7, fans, players, staff involved in our near death experience and has handled himself superbly in mind during such times.

Respect is a word, often misused Sparsky in my mind oozes respect in every sense and definition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:48 pm 
Member Staff

You can say that again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:53 pm 

tonycholwell wrote:
IJN wrote:

2) He's a Northerner

4) He IS very old.

Whilst considering those 4 reasons are at least actionable the conclusion isnt :greensmile:

I see the Gas Board as a talking shop and I already belong to one of those, but one with at least some powers to make a
difference. This is a clever JB device to give the illusion of change whilst maintaining the staus quo and quite right. The arguements already about who, where , what why and how are already starting and as I have said many many times I have only ever aspired to being a fan. An unshackled fan.

Nothing more, nothing less.

COYGs

cant see any arguing?nice healthy debate though,,,,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:03 pm 
Sponsor Staff

Tony I think you've misinterpreted this proposal. I don't believe JB sees it as any such thing as a mere talking shop, although that to some extent depends on the eventual membership. The role of supervisory boards in Germany and elsewhere is something we can learn from, and I think JB's emphasis on good corporate governance gives a very good clue as to the role he sees for the GAS board. As the WMN article says, we could be waving the flag for responsible, not crony, capitalism business model and there will be many watching with great interest to see how it works in practice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:23 pm 

Lesley Reardon wrote:
Tony I think you've misinterpreted this proposal. I don't believe JB sees it as any such thing as a mere talking shop, although that to some extent depends on the eventual membership. The role of supervisory boards in Germany and elsewhere is something we can learn from, and I think JB's emphasis on good corporate governance gives a very good clue as to the role he sees for the GAS board. As the WMN article says, we could be waving the flag for responsible, not crony, capitalism business model and there will be many watching with great interest to see how it works in practice.

Lesley

JB made it quite clear the main Board will be in charge and quite corrrectly. It is also clear the similaritty between our version and Germany stops at the name, otherwise the supervisory Board will be able to sack and hire Main Board members and JB will not want himself kicked off his own Board :greensmile:

As always, the devil is in the detail, but, I do not see JB opening himself up to financial exposure and leave himself open to the Sack! he is using the device of a SB to fulfill a promise for greater engagement, no more, no less. That is not to say he is not a brave man or that he runs some risks, just that all his risks are quatifiable and virtually risk free.

In a years time people will only worry about league position and whether we are "going for it" There will ofcourse be a few pseuds sat around, drinking poor quality red wine and smoking bad roll ups discussing the new marxist agenda oh and can they get the pasty supplier at HP changed.

In short, change will bring no change and as Argyle fans we can rest assurred our dreams are contained and by the popular refrain "Same old Argyle"

Love it.

COYGs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next