Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI   IJN Payments
Until the end of season:

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why do the GT's have a spot on the 'GAS' Board?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:07 am 

Location: Not just where, but when: Earth. October 12th, 2013.
As above.

Hard-working? Yes.
Argyle at heart? Yes.
Representational? No.

Post subject: Re: Why do the GT's have a spot on the 'GAS' Board?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 am 
Member Sponsor Staff

To me is blatantly obvious.

The did the one thing that others have always failed to do. The galvanised the fan base when we were at our lowest ebb. They have worked consistently to make lives easier for the staff.

Totally understandable and deserved.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:45 am 

Leigh Rapson wrote:

The did the one thing that others have always failed to do. The galvanised the fan base when we were at our lowest ebb. They have worked consistently to make lives easier for the staff.

So it is like a reward?

Rather than anything to do with what they actually bring to the table in terms of representing fans?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 am 
Member Sponsor Staff

A_Proverbial_Avocado wrote:
Leigh Rapson wrote:

So it is like a reward?

Rather than anything to do with what they actually bring to the table in terms of representing fans?

No not at all. The mere fact that they galvanised the fan base is worthy of their role. No other group has achieved the amount of togetherness that they have. Their way of thinking tallies with that of the large portion of the fan base.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:59 am 

Avocado, the one thing the GT's have done is get off their collective backsides and attempt do something positive, which is more than the vast majority of the fanbase has. My only thought really is that nobody really knows who they are. I understand possibly wrongly that there is only a couple of dozen of them, it would be nice to know who they are. Leigh I think your final sentence is a bit of a sweeping statement to be honest, on what do you base that. For such a small section of the fanbase to have a seat on The GAS board might puzzle some but at least they are doers rather than talkers.

Last edited by jerryatricjanner on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:01 am 

Leigh Rapson wrote:
The mere fact that they galvanised the fan base is worthy of their role. No other group has achieved the amount of togetherness that they have. Their way of thinking tallies with that of the large portion of the fan base.

I'm not sure I agree with any of that. Well maybe the middle sentence; they do seem a tight-knit bunch. I'm not sure how 'galvanised' the fanbase can be said to be when we got a mere 6k at the last game. Also not sure what their 'way of thinking' is, and I'm even less certain that it tallies with 'large' portions of the fanbase. How many does the Pyramid hold?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 am 

jerryatricjanner wrote:
Avocado, the one thing the GT's have done is get off their collective backsides and attempt do something positive, which is more than the vast majority of the fanbase has.

Yup, they have, as I granted in my original post.

So have several others...Ian Newell, Sue Pollard, ZeeZan to name 3 obvious PASOTI examples. Why aren't they automatically part of the group?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:17 am 
Sponsor Staff

My question is why wouldn't they be on the GAS?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 am 
Member Staff

I think the GT's are obvious candidates for GAS.

Formal contact with the board to discuss plans and ideas for fan based events including the fan fests.

No brainer surely?

And i speak as someone who just wants to be able to turn up and watch the football. Never been to a GT event but admire their work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:34 am 

Lesley Reardon wrote:

They're clearly too closely tied in with the club to offer anything like an independent voice. Looking at the statement they made on their own website, to me they're almost acting as (unpaid) employees, if that makes sense. Also, though I don't doubt the integrity behind their intentions...who are they? Why are they supposed to be representing me? Why couldn't anyone that they wish to nominate just be part of the 'public vote', where they'd have the chance to explain these things like the other candidates? I'm sure they'd get elected anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 am 
Member Staff

A_Proverbial_Avocado wrote:
Lesley Reardon wrote:

They're clearly too closely tied in with the club to offer anything like an independent voice. Looking at the statement they made on their own website, to me they're almost acting as (unpaid) employees, if that makes sense. Also, though I don't doubt the integrity behind their intentions...who are they? Why are they supposed to be representing me? Why couldn't anyone that they wish to nominate just be part of the 'public vote', where they'd have the chance to explain these things like the other candidates? I'm sure they'd get elected anyway.

I think you are looking into it too deeply, a range of representation is needed on GAS and the GT's offer one important aspect of supporter involvement.

I agree that there needs to be an element of GAS that will be ready to challenge the board if it is appropriate to do so but GAS is not intended solely to challenge as important as that may be.

At least that is my understanding.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:10 pm 

It does raise an interesting but not insurmountable problem about who the GTs are....I guess there is no constitution or formal agreement like a limited company (or are they a charity)....and you only have to look at the Wrathall pitch invasion debacle to see that groups/business attached to the GTs are not necessarily GTers....or rather they were said not to be part of GTs just partners.

Anyway it'll all come out in the wash I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:13 pm 
Admin

Laughter My Ploy wrote:
It does raise an interesting but not insurmountable problem about who the GTs are....I guess there is no constitution or formal agreement like a limited company (or are they a charity)....and you only have to look at the Wrathall pitch invasion debacle to see that groups/business attached to the GTs are not necessarily GTers....or rather they were said not to be part of GTs just partners.

Anyway it'll all come out in the wash I'm sure.

The GT's are a registered Limited company with one director.