Luke Young thread | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Luke Young thread

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
So Sheridan says he has "No regrets about Young" well I can tell you there are plenty who have.

Under Chris Hargreaves the lad is excelling to the extent he has been selected to the England C squad.

So the question is "Why couldn't he have got the best out of a super keen player as Young?"

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
Some may argue that he's excelling, but in a lower league and the two replacements we've signed are better than he is right now and so he wouldn't be guaranteed the game time to improve him as a player in order to produce the performances he is currently.

L

leelowndes27

It is in the conference though to be fair. At the time, we were never likely to get very far with Luke and Connor as our centre midfield partnership. I know Connor left too in the end but JS weren't too know that.

Jun 8, 2014
argobenz":2p7tazkz said:
So Sheridan says he has "No regrets about Young" well I can tell you there are plenty who have.

Under Chris Hargreaves the lad is excelling to the extent he has been selected to the England C squad.

So the question is "Why couldn't he have got the best out of a super keen player as Young?"

Because he's an awful man manager. Gave up to easily.

Young > Norburn

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Liam Vercoe":1wlw7t89 said:
Some may argue that he's excelling, but in a lower league and the two replacements we've signed are better than he is right now and so he wouldn't be guaranteed the game time to improve him as a player in order to produce the performances he is currently.

Some may argue that, but they'd be fools. Two replacements? I only see Norburn as the closest to a replacement and he's certainly not as good as Young ever was for us or is now.

The thing that really puzzles me, is if Sheridan felt Young needed to move away from the safety net of Argyle (which I fully understand) while also.recognising his potential and talent as a player, why wasn't he kept on and loaned out for the season?

Dec 2, 2010
Without opening up the whole debate again.....he's not going to say anything different is he.

It was a mistake letting him go. Sheridan consistently said that Young was the best passer of the ball at the club....so who is now? Young was often poor at corners but often deadly on free kicks outside the box. Sheridan let him go because, ultimately, he thought he had a 'replacement' in Harvey (mmm?).

I don't think many managers in charge of clubs at our level would have let a player like Young, and local to boot, go. I have seen little evidence this season that we have improved the midfield....which to be honest has been variable and often weak throughout Sheridan's reign. maybe as a top midfielder himself his expectations are too high.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
spowell92":2ipf1igm said:
Liam Vercoe":2ipf1igm said:

Some may argue that, but they'd be fools. Two replacements? I only see Norburn as the closest to a replacement and he's certainly not as good as Young ever was for us or is now.

The thing that really puzzles me, is if Sheridan felt Young needed to move away from the safety net of Argyle (which I fully understand) while also.recognising his potential and talent as a player, why wasn't he kept on and loaned out for the season?

Well said.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Paven":iklkee8x said:
argobenz":iklkee8x said:

Because he's an awful man manager. Gave up to easily.

Young > Norburn
We got it the 500th time :yawn:

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Young may well turn out to be better than Norburn but can we at least give Norburn a chance first?

Remember Hourihane started off quite bad and turned out immense for us.

C

CKGreens

Another poor managers decision which will bite us on the arse in future!

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
PilgrimLew":8pfqype7 said:
He can't admit he was wrong and put his hands up that's the problem.
Was he wrong though? he said Young would get better but he said he'd need to leave to do it as he was in his comfort zone here. If anything he's been proved right.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Still poor that he couldn't get the most out of him here though. Hardly great man-management.

And even when he was here, he was still good and improving. He just wasn't quite fully fulfilled. I think it would have come.