✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Don't know what you did with your link but this one works.

Wiki

Greens On Screen

29 goals in 66 games was a great return.

John Squire

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 28, 2008
Now retired to Uffculme near Willand!
Ah - Dear Eric Davis.

I have a lovely memory of Eric. Growing up in Fountains Crescent Pennycross, I can remember the first time my father took me up to Home Park in 1956. We started to walk up the path from our house towards Melrose Avenue, I was excited,going to my first Argyle game, when my dad stopped and waited for this young man, fairly tall and lean, and carrying a battered old brown attaché case? We then walked up across Beacon Park and to Home Park. For some reason I was afraid to ask my dad who he was!

We then parted company, him to the main entrance and us to the turnstiles. I then asked my dad who we had been talking to! Dad said "Didn't you know who that was?" I said no. "That was the Argyle centre forward, Eric Davis, he lives opposite us"

For several home games after that, my dad and I would walk to Home Park with Eric. Can you imagine Wayne Rooney walking to work with his football boots in an old attaché case!

Happy memories, and I was quite upset when, I think in 1957, when Eric was transferred to Scunthorpe, on the arrival of a player who became my idol, the one and only Wilf Carter!!! :scarf:

Oct 16, 2016
He married my nans sister (Vera).

My nan married into the Lobb family (Stonehouse) a huge family who lived in Wyndham Sq and North Rd West

His wife (a nurse) died very young at 53, she was a lovely woman left him quite a sad guy for the remainder of his life, he lived in Hooe

I used to sit in the No. 10 club on NRW and listen to my grandad (Dougie Lobb) his brothers there were always at least three! Ron, Frankie, Reggie to name some! And Eric jangle away about nothing.

My brother has pipped me to posting on this thread about Eric Davis, who was a neighbour of ours in Fountains Crescent.

My story is different.....

On Eric's wedding day, my mother asked me to get some confetti.

"Where" ? I asked.

The shop on Ham Green is the best !

So off I went.

I had to pass Ham Lane [off Ham Drive] which was being resurfaced and I fell over.

It created a big hole in my knee with blood everywhere but I battled on - being a brave soldier !!

Confetti bought - without blood stains, I recollect !

I still bear the scare on my knee today !

Eric was a very nice guy from my limited recollection and that of my family - from John's post.

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Shankster - there was a Lobb family in Fountains Crescent, about 400 metres from where Eric lived [No. 91 ?] - not sure in what era.

Any relation ?

Oct 16, 2016
Morning TT

I'm not sure tbh I'll ask my nan (she's still about but now lives in Millbridge) it's very likely that this is a relation as the family is huge, can you remember any Christian names from that family?

Shankster":3sf0rwac said:
Morning TT

I'm not sure tbh I'll ask my nan (she's still about but now lives in Millbridge) it's very likely that this is a relation as the family is huge, can you remember any Christian names from that family?

Good afternoon from Chengdu

All I remember is that they lived "on the flat" part of Fountains Crescent [towards Boxhill Gardens] as John and I lived the other side from where Eric lived [towards where Trevor Francis and family lived later].

A Mecca of football talent is our road ?

A name ?

The name "Barry" comes to mind but maybe John, when he reads this post, may be able to help ?

The stories have brought back some wonderful memories - on the eve of Chinese New Year !

My mother loved Eric "to bits" as he was so sweet to her.

Oct 16, 2016
I'll give her a bell and ask.

He was a lovely man, always crossed our palm with a 50 pence piece and always turned up on a Sunday (Railway Club then Stuart Rd)

Incidentally his grandson is a superb amateur footballer who currently plays for Plymouth Parkway (Danny Lewis)

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Lovely stories guys--thanks for sharing some of your personal history, reminds me why I have always loved football--it's not just the game it's everything that goes with it.

Old Gunner":1p0u620y said:
Lovely stories guys--thanks for sharing some of your personal history, reminds me why I have always loved football--it's not just the game it's everything that goes with it.

Thank you Old Gunner.

Very kind of you.

It only takes the sight of a name on here and all the memories come flooding back :whistle:

I hope my brother logs on soon to see if he can answer any of Shankster's questions ?

Happy New Chinese Year - The Year of The Rooster.