MidlandPlymothian":b91bzjef said:
Away_Days":b91bzjef said:
greengenes":b91bzjef said:
John Petrie":b91bzjef said:
Greenskin":b91bzjef said:
John Petrie":b91bzjef said:
A simple question for you in return. Do you think that the atmosphere at Home Park is good and intimidates the opposition?

And a simple question in return: Do you think that results and performances over the past 3/4 years have done anything to encourage a good atmosphere?

Good point, time for everyone to stop bothering, we've got an excuse not to.
Cheering can make some players more nervous and play worse so if it is non stop the younger players especially will not be aided, it may encourage some players but not all
Really ?
Yes.

Mate are you kidding? I really cant tell?! I've watched and read so many things saing that players love fans to be vocal as it spurs on the team and the crowd really does act like a 12th man at times.

An ultras group will only help the atmosphere, it will allow new chants to be created and people will have a lot of fun in the process.

Stop being so negative and give it some time.
With people cheering it puts more pressure on the team, because they don't want to let the fans down but the pressure for some of the younger lads especially could be too much, Some players are worse with non stop cheering .

If they cant deal with some chanting then they have chosen the wrong career.

Trust me, chanting can only help... I cant believe i'm having to even say this :lol:
Still not convinced it will work, willing to give it a go, but just don't want a division between fans, with people who sit in block 3 and 4 thinking their better fans then everyone else

Well thats alot better than some fans. I think with Chris at the helm this could be a great success, i read somewhere that when Crystal palace set their group up everyone was against it and thought it would be a major flop and look at it now!

G

Greenskin

John Petrie":3f4jbnt8 said:
Greenskin":3f4jbnt8 said:
John Petrie":3f4jbnt8 said:
A simple question for you in return. Do you think that the atmosphere at Home Park is good and intimidates the opposition?

And a simple question in return: Do you think that results and performances over the past 3/4 years have done anything to encourage a good atmosphere?

All right then,i'll put it another way.Do you think that the alleged lack of atmosphere to which you refer is a result of consistently poor performances on the pitch or do you think that the consistently poor perfomances on the pitch have been caused by the lack of atmosphere? Just a simple question asking for a simple answer,just like the first one.

Dec 3, 2005
Sorry I have been asleep - can someone please explain what a ultra is?

Seen it mentioned in lots of thread titles, lately but haven't had the time to read through.

And do we really need to 'quote' so many times? Doing my head in.

Jan 31, 2005
South Devon
www.pafc.co.uk
John Petrie":f6zdy3ne said:
Greenskin":f6zdy3ne said:
John Petrie":f6zdy3ne said:

Blimey chaps - surely this habit of dousing anybody with an alternative viewpoint with a fatal dose of sarcasm is damaging to our aims??

For what it's worth, my views are that the Ultras are definitely worth starting up & could be a real feature of home games.....

However during our most recent successful times, the atmosphere at HP was amazing & I recall several teams making mention of the mighty Home Park atmosphere....

That this has evaporated in recent years is nothing to do with the lack of a coordinated group of highly-vocal fans, it's (to me ) because we've been unable to become excited about watching the failing efforts of a group of not-up-to-it professional footballers.

It's not really a British thing to extravagantly support an unsuccessful team - I would suggest that it's unheard of this side of the Midlands.

To heap ridicule on those questioning attempts to buck this trend says - arguably - more about the reasons behind our, at times fractured fan base than any differing viewpoint ever will.

Let's support what we want to support & question what we want to question without having to suffer the sarcasm & patronising put-downs that ultimately, will defeat the very goal that those offering the ridicule are targeting.

Aug 15, 2008
Since the redevelopment of the 3 sides the atmosphere has been not as good. Even at the QPR 2-0 the atmossphere was a bit flat. Compare that to the Bristol City game where we won 4-1? To go up or the Colchester game in play offs. Electric.
Home Park used to be a fortress and it needs to be again.

A

andyr1963

Ultras..............yeah alright do it. It will make an improvement short term.
But it will not be long before it looks too contrived, a bit fake, borderline stupid, changed my mind not just a bit fake but TOTALLY FAKE. :oops:

Sep 23, 2011
I can remember matches in the late eighties when I first started going when Come On You Greens would come from all 3 home stands. Even then it was rare.

I can also remember the Devonport and Lyndhurst stands trading songs and banter.

Last season I took my nephews to their first away game at Sheffield Wednesday and they loved every minute of it. Standing up and singing all the songs made their day. I believe that if some of that atmosphere could be recreated at Home Park then it could make match day a better experience and help both on and off the field.

G

Greenskin

JonB":206stgz8 said:
John Petrie":206stgz8 said:
Greenskin":206stgz8 said:
John Petrie":206stgz8 said:

Blimey chaps - surely this habit of dousing anybody with an alternative viewpoint with a fatal dose of sarcasm is damaging to our aims??

For what it's worth, my views are that the Ultras are definitely worth starting up & could be a real feature of home games.....

However during our most recent successful times, the atmosphere at HP was amazing & I recall several teams making mention of the mighty Home Park atmosphere....

That this has evaporated in recent years is nothing to do with the lack of a coordinated group of highly-vocal fans, it's (to me ) because we've been unable to become excited about watching the failing efforts of a group of not-up-to-it professional footballers.

It's not really a British thing to extravagantly support an unsuccessful team - I would suggest that it's unheard of this side of the Midlands.

To heap ridicule on those questioning attempts to buck this trend says - arguably - more about the reasons behind our, at times fractured fan base than any differing viewpoint ever will.

Let's support what we want to support & question what we want to question without having to suffer the sarcasm & patronising put-downs that ultimately, will defeat the very goal that those offering the ridicule are targeting.

Well said sir.The point i was trying to get across was that the most sure fire way to create a buzzing atmosphere at any ground is to have a team on the pitch which plays some decent football and looks as though it may win a game or two.I don't agree with the general notion that the atmosphere has been totally crap in recent years anyway.Reid was very complimentary about the support given by HP fans last season in a lot of the games and i just hope that if this attempt to create crowd participation fails,then a janner bashing exercise doesn't result,which i suspect it may.

I think a lot of fans like to see the european fans singing and dancing and would love to do it here but its not been our way traditionally. but getting together to organise it we can do it and take all the fun aspects of the european ultras and make it happen, it will be better for the players and fun in the stands.

I should perhaps don my tin hat before saying that I'm also a little sceptical whether the European idea will translate at Home Park. However, the atmosphere at Home Park does need a boost so I'll be booking my ticket in the Demport for the Aldershot match to see if it works. Haven't seen the Palace Ultras so can't comment on them but the small bunch of Accrington fans give it a good go.

M

B

Blackpool Green

Speaking as an exile so forgive me forgive me for speaking as one away from HP, but my understanding is that the Ultras will reside in the Demport. Is it at all possible to find a middie ground in this debate and put out an invitation for anyone who would like to be part of the 'Lyndhurst Ultras', 'Mayflower Ultras' or 'Family Ultras'. If that is just being naive no problem, its only an idea. Ready to be told that I haven't been to HP lately.

Feb 21, 2011
John Petrie":17kxl0pg said:
No i don't and i think all efforts to improve this are commendable, but its a hell of a job given there is nobody on the mayflower terrace or great swathes of the lyndehurst. Intimidation of the away dugout is non existent these days even though it probably didn't really effect them it is something else for them to deal with. Zoo corner was always by far the most vocal area in the ground and in general drowned out the opposition singing something impossible to do by 40 people in block 3. As has been said until we are getting bigger crowds and winning games these things won't change to much, but good luck i'll buy my green and black scarf but don't ask me to sit behind the goal the view is awful.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Those of us that have been around long enough to remember the Demport in its prime don't remember every game (we've got GoS for that) but what sticks with us is the atmosphere of a game.
My son has been attending away games since 2004 and loves the way the GA creates noise everywhere we go, so much so that on the few occasions he has been to HP (in the Demport)
he has come away disappointed with the atmosphere he has experienced.
I see the Ultras initiative as a way of concentrating vocal support at HP in the same way as it is concentrated at away grounds. A consequence of this will be that the match-going experience for a younger generation will be much more enjoyable, it will encourage them to tell their mates at school/college and create a sustainable, larger fanbase of younger greens for whom Saturdays in the Demport will be as memorable as they are for me 30+ years down the line.

May 21, 2010
taunton
Suppose theres no harm in giving this ultra stuff a go, but i dont want to end up going to some kiddies pantomine with cheer leaders every match. Results and good performences on the pitch will increase the atmosphere level, which hasnt been good at home park since the 80s anyway.