Clarification needed | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Clarification needed

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Maybe all the more vocal support comes from our own "away" fans that can get to games in London but not all the games at HP.
Surely everyone that likes to sing and chant knows by now that to enjoy that side of the game they need to go to the DE.
If there are singers and chanters in the Lyndhurst they are out-numbered by those that wish to concentrate on the game, not reading their hymnbooks.
Atmosphere will not return until we have a four sided stadium.
As for large flags, another example of the uber fans not actually being able to see the pitch.

Good luck with the Ultras but if it's manufactured it will always look wrong.

T

Tim Hughes

I don't think there is any harm in trying this idea, but like I've read somewhere else on these boards, it has to be all or nothing because if its not done right it could become a bit of a laughing stock.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
We won't know whether it'll work until we give it a go. Where's the harm in trying? Chris is a great organiser and the time is right to consolidate the renewed passion of the Green Army. The Ultras are there for those that want to join in, which will be the younger fans I'm guessing. I don't see that as meaning I'm any less of a fan. Let's try to be positive about new ideas.

A

Anonymous

Agree with the last two posts.

It's not my cup of tea, as I'm a boring 58 year old fart, but let them have a carck at it, and if it brings more youngsters into the park, where's the problem with that.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
IJN":3eplipcz said:
Agree with the last two posts.

It's not my cup of tea, as I'm a boring 58 year old fart, but let them have a carck at it, and if it brings more youngsters into the park, where's the problem with that.

I agree with this although I am only a 46 year old boring fart.

However, I think the danger is, and I can already see this happening a little, that the Italian Mob will see themselves as being somehow superior, or elite, fans and ride rough-shod over the opinions/thoughts/feelings of others. Argyle needs all kinds of fans not just an especially vocal group and, in fact, the very best crowd moments at Home Park occur ONLY when the quiet ones are roused to create noise by action on the picture or, in some cases, an almost spooky spontaneity. For example, THE best moment if the Fans Reunited game was when, without warning, EVERYONE stood up and cried out for the Greens. That moment just emerged and was much more powerful than the somewhat more organised left-side/right-side chanting. I accept that without the generally noisy ones the whole crowd may not have spontaneously lifted - my point is that those 'in' the group need to appreciate that they will only achieve what they really want by drawing those 'out' of the group into things and this won't happen by becoming exclusive or superior in any way.

So, good luck.

G

Gareth Nicholson

I think it's a cracking idea and if it's half as successful as the Palace ultras, it'll do wonders for the atmos.

The group could start with one simple premise: slow down! A drum could help set a rhythm as it feels a little too speed garage sometimes rather than a decent tempo that will build an atmosphere and sustain it.

M

Marcus The Green

Gareth Nicholson":2yycwrzh said:
I think it's a cracking idea and if it's half as successful as the Palace ultras, it'll do wonders for the atmos.

The group could start with one simple premise: slow down! A drum could help set a rhythm as it feels a little too speed garage sometimes rather than a decent tempo that will build an atmosphere and sustain it.

Hopefully this will happen. Far too often, the younger lads in the Devonport get carried away, get faster & the chant dies out before the rest of ground get a chance to join in. Sometimes it's over so quick, Block 4 can't join in :lol:

Not sure on the structure of the "Ultra" group but some sort of head/lead singers/chant starter's, might help with the tempo aswell as a drum to keep people in time.

Dec 2, 2005
London
Phenom":3kaw96w8 said:
MidlandPlymothian":3kaw96w8 said:
What will the ultras do, why do we need them, can't we just sing what we want when we want like we normally do, i just don't see the point in it?

:iagree: i rather more effort was put into getting the numbers attending games up then try and form a lazio hooligan element at home park :whistle: :whistle: :scarf: :scarf:

:iagree:

Why are they wasting their time setting up the Argyle Ultra's when they could be giving up their time and effort trying to improve attendances.

:whistle: :whistle: :scarf: :scarf:

Maybe we should set up a committee to advise how others spend their free time? To save them from doing anything pointless.

:roll:

G

green_for_life

John Petrie":2hwqi4rp said:
Our atmosphere was poor before the club started to fall apart, since probably around the third season in the Championship even when playing winning football under Ollie.

IIRC, this was around the time of over-zealous stewarding with many on here defending the stewards. Let's hope those issues don't return and the 'ultras' go on to be a big success. Whilst not my thing anymore, I can certainly relate to the good ol' days of the DE in the 70s as a young 'un. Winning matches and being competitive will be key to whether it's successful or not though.

May 1, 2007
Phenom":2dhq3s6p said:
MidlandPlymothian":2dhq3s6p said:
What will the ultras do, why do we need them, can't we just sing what we want when we want like we normally do, i just don't see the point in it?

:iagree: i rather more effort was put into getting the numbers attending games up then try and form a lazio hooligan element at home park :whistle: :whistle: :scarf: :scarf:

Better atmosphere will get more youngsters through the gates meaning better attendances.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
We will never have a good atmosphere while we have a 3 sided ground. The Mayflower must be reopended ASAP (I dont see why the remp seating cant be reinstalled) and the rathe rpathetic closure of block 16 onwards (always the best place for atmosphere) should be reopened as well.

Until either of these happen the Ultra's idea will have minimal effect.

C

Charlie Wood

JonB":2dghkpbi said:
Blimey chaps - surely this habit of dousing anybody with an alternative viewpoint with a fatal dose of sarcasm is damaging to our aims??

For what it's worth, my views are that the Ultras are definitely worth starting up & could be a real feature of home games.....

However during our most recent successful times, the atmosphere at HP was amazing & I recall several teams making mention of the mighty Home Park atmosphere....

That this has evaporated in recent years is nothing to do with the lack of a coordinated group of highly-vocal fans, it's (to me ) because we've been unable to become excited about watching the failing efforts of a group of not-up-to-it professional footballers.

It's not really a British thing to extravagantly support an unsuccessful team - I would suggest that it's unheard of this side of the Midlands.

To heap ridicule on those questioning attempts to buck this trend says - arguably - more about the reasons behind our, at times fractured fan base than any differing viewpoint ever will.

Let's support what we want to support & question what we want to question without having to suffer the sarcasm & patronising put-downs that ultimately, will defeat the very goal that those offering the ridicule are targeting.

You are a very sensible chap and your earlier post bears repeating here in the hope that posters will read and ponder upon it. It also gives me the opportunity to thank you for your matchday updates, succinct but evocative, which I greatly appreciate.

M

Miles

I have images of up to 3 dozen fans clumped at the back of the Demport very cringeworthily reading song sheets.

This is the sort of thing that needs to be launched during a period of success, when gate numbers are high and there is excitment around the club. With the best will in the world there is never going to be much of an atmosphere at HP with the gates we've been getting.

If a gang name, song sheet and a membership card helps get more people through the gates then great; how many will fall for it I dont know.

L

Laughter My Ploy

Wait until they get there own Forza Verde message board on here....then let the fun begin