Sparksy for G.A.S Board. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Sparksy for G.A.S Board.

A

A_Proverbial_Avocado

Damon.Lenszner":2269fws2 said:
Still thinking that the Trust should be the body that represents the fans. However if the GAS Board were to be the vehicle then I would wholeheartedly support Sparksy.

With regard to 'new faces' - we have just been through the most turbulent times in our history. The call went out for help from supporters and we had many, many people step forward to assist. Do you not think that everyone who wanted to stick their head above the parapet has already done so? Surely if a 'new' name and face came along now the cry would go out - where were you when we needed you!
Good post.

I'd like to think that people would be able to look to the future and make judgements based on what someone proposes rather than dwell on the roles they took up in the past. Surely it would be downright thick to alienate people who are either returning or are simply new to Home Park.

TCM

Jun 7, 2011
Chris Webb":3obbwfta said:
Lesley Reardon":3obbwfta said:
Random selection sounds good to me. Would be the most democratic way surely? Groups like the GTs can select their representative any way they want of course.

Never heard of democracy meaning names out of a hat! :)

100% agree on the need for new blood. I was only saying this to a few supporters on Saturday.

There has to be some form of voting process though.

Names out of a hat could lead to all sorts of issues. What if some really dodgy characters stood who in normal circumstances would be rightly exposed but could come out of a hat?

What if we ended up with a poor gender balance because all men or all woman were 'drawn on'?

What if the 4 best people for the roles missed out to 4 people with the wrong motivations?

Elections in reality have always been and will always be a popularity contest.

Everyone does things differently. I'd imagine voters would get a 'statement' from the candidates (much like the trust elections) so that would be one way that all candidates could push themselves.

That aside if a particular candidate goes over and above that and uses pasoti, leaflets etc then fair play to them. Elections are won by people who grasp the moment. I'd personally as an Argyle supporter and trade unionist love a bit of spice and passion in this election. I would love some candidates with opposing views and ideals. The trust election this far has been very quiet and I'd imagine that most voters cannot see much difference between the 8 candidates (not a criticism just an observation).

Let's spice it up. The Club is saved but the GASB will be the group keeping a close eye on the board and making sure that we never fall into that trap again.

Step forward if you are up for the challenge.......
couple of things chriis,,dont think everyone would be comfy with or have the time to run a campaign,still think out of the hat would be more democratic in the spirit of the new era of openess at our club, a poll would be a good way to gage opinion on this?as far as that throwing up the odd nutt job, well a code of conduct at meetings would get over that iam sure,,anyone not playing fair could be introdused to big kev :greensmile: dont think the gender issue is relevent to be onest,i supose we need to know the aims of this group as a starting point,eyes on the board?or actual input?(either or for me ),i just think this shouldnt be scene as to cozy, that would send out the wrong message,so its random selection for me,if that threw up to many problems then go for the vote system but i would be very surprised if people didnt want random,,,, :greensmile:

Kevin Gollop

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
tonycholwell":2qzjhkes said:
Like you, I await further and fuller details.

Unlike you, "The general principle of running the club with a greater say for the fans" is a mirage if you had inserted the word "direct" before "say".

I have only wanted to be a fan in my 45 years supporting Argyle and thats how I wish it to end. If you want a greater say, become rich and buy the club or start as an office boy/girl in the general managers office and work yourself up diligently, until one day you may also become general manager and run Argyle.

Simples :greensmile:

Tony, for what it's worth, you are not afraid to speak up in all the open meetings I have been to and always raise good points. You could do a good job as one of the "independents" on the GAS Board in my opinion :whistle:

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Chris Webb":q6qqlop1 said:
Just to add another little thought.....

The problem with these groups as the Trust has previously found is that you don't need talkers you need 'doers'.

The likes of Graham Clark, Peter Ryan and Lee Jameson provide examples of being able to be forward thinking but also have the drive and workrate to represent supporters to the highest level.

Let's hope these elections fine the next Clark, Ryan or Jameson.......if indeed some or all of those gents don't throw their hat in the ring.

Chris

Chris personally I would agree with the three guys above and include Ian in the hat, I would also think Graham would be an ideal chairman, but if this were to happen I think, there would be rumblings/accusations of the " clique " running the show.

I am sure there are other people who have been involved to save the club, who have not been in the public eye who would be good candidates.

Ian's comment about the season ticket holders is a good one, there should be ways of exploring the possibility of a season ticket rep being included.

A

Anonymous

dunlop":24o438h2 said:
Chris Webb":24o438h2 said:

The problem with these groups as the Trust has previously found is that you don't need talkers you need 'doers'.

The likes of Graham Clark, Peter Ryan and Lee Jameson provide examples of being able to be forward thinking but also have the drive and workrate to represent supporters to the highest level.

Let's hope these elections fine the next Clark, Ryan or Jameson.......if indeed some or all of those gents don't throw their hat in the ring.

Chris

Chris personally I would agree with the three guys above and include Ian in the hat, I would also think Graham would be an ideal chairman, but if this were to happen I think, there would be rumblings/accusations of the " clique " running the show.

I am sure there are other people who have been involved to save the club, who have not been in the public eye who would be good candidates.

Ian's comment about the season ticket holders is a good one, there should be ways of exploring the possibility of a season ticket rep being included.

Just for the record I am very content with just being a season ticket holder in the Lyndhurst. and I am not seeking any further representational role. I am particularly anxious that the opportunity for proper supporter engagement extends well beyond what you may identify as the former CPers to avoid the sort of rumbling / accusation to which you refer.

The proposal of the supervisory board was one that James Brent himself first mentioned to the the last CP meeting that coincided with his completion of the purchase of the club. It was very much his idea for a proper means of the widest supporter engagement. I welcome the opportunity for diversity of representation in the way the proposal has been constructed and i hope we are able to see 'more flesh on the bones' very soon.

The proposal for a Supervisory Board is based on the German model of such corporate governance that has driven the well being of their foremost companies since the late 1990s. It is a new concept in the UK and I am sure it will be far from a 'talking shop' or 'additional layer of bureaucracy' that some suggest. It really is a question of properly holding the Board of Directors to account for their corporate and financial decision making in a transparent fashion. No more 'other operating costs' hidden in a obscure corner of the accounts for example.

That there is debate about who might be the representatives is most healthy. That even some could contemplate candidates such as Tony C. is even healthier in my view. Informed and constructive. criticism should be welcomed Whilst as Peter Jones as said 'Survival. survival , survival' are the three most important current requirements that should not divert longer term attention from what is really a remarkable proposal for proper and authoritative supporter engagement unparalleled elsewhere in the Football League as Professor David Wheeler's excellent article in today's WMN points to (sorry no link available - but is on page 10 if anyone is interested).

Sep 28, 2011
Sparksy":22qh8waa said:
To answer the question raised by Plympton Pilgreen: I have always wanted more involvement, but there were certain restrictions. Being a shareholder had to be revealed to my employer as an 'outside interest'. It would not have pleased me more to maybe follow in my father's footsteps - secretary of The Shareholders' Association for 25 years and also (here's a mouthful ...) President of the Vice-Presidents' Club.

When attending any gathering concerning the shareholders, I had to do it either as a shareholder or member of the local media - not both.

Fair enough sparksy,I was not aware of the shareholder status and that explains alot to my query.

Look forward to (maybe) your hat and others being thrown into the ring, with the good of argyle at heart.

Sep 28, 2011
IJN":3rmet18e said:
Perhaps Mike thinks we should bring in Exeter fans?

Mike, we need people that know our club, that are fueled with passion and understanding, why not Sparksy?

The last thing I want is people that know their way around ballot boxes and say 'Mr Chairman' a lot or (even worse) 'Point of Order'.

We need Janner input.
Haha,I love that "janner input"
Bit of janner power! :)

A

Anonymous

dunlop":1jj1fyh6 said:
Chris Webb":1jj1fyh6 said:

Chris

My comment but Tony Cholwell's idea, Mike.

I have no interest in the GAS board, I've done my bit, time for other people to stand up and be counted.

It's a very important role and one that should not be taken lightly.

I saw people voice interest in the Trust, then realised that it actually meant a lot of work, and then decided against it. Not knocking that fact, simply making the point that a lot of thought has to be given before entering that arena.

T

Tim Chown

Graham Clark":2iqp7n0q said:
The proposal for a Supervisory Board is based on the German model of such corporate governance that has driven the well being of their foremost companies since the late 1990s. It is a new concept in the UK and I am sure it will be far from a 'talking shop' or 'additional layer of bureaucracy' that some suggest.

German Corporate Governance Code

The full German code has the Supervisory Board appoint and dismiss members of the Management Board, which I suspect a part that James won't adopt ;)

An interesting site to browse around.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Damon.Lenszner":1ifc1g5z said:
Still thinking that the Trust should be the body that represents the fans. However if the GAS Board were to be the vehicle then I would wholeheartedly support Sparksy.

With regard to 'new faces' - we have just been through the most turbulent times in our history. The call went out for help from supporters and we had many, many people step forward to assist. Do you not think that everyone who wanted to stick their head above the parapet has already done so? Surely if a 'new' name and face came along now the cry would go out - where were you when we needed you!

Damon

Have you looked at the list of nominees for the Trust Board? That may answer the first part of your question above.

A

Anonymous

I don't think that would be the cry if I'm honest Damon.

However, I would raise half an eyebrow and think 'Hmm, what's your motivation, for doing that'.

I'm not saying that's right to think that, but it's what I do think.

There's at least two people I would like to vote for, because I've seen them in action, the others, have to do something to get me on board, which will present a challenge.

Jan 7, 2004
I'd like to get involved but it's a bit difficult with work and a young family to support. I could throw in a Cornish and young fans perspective?

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Kevin_Gollop":3cdzrlbr said:
tonycholwell":3cdzrlbr said:
Like you, I await further and fuller details.

Unlike you, "The general principle of running the club with a greater say for the fans" is a mirage if you had inserted the word "direct" before "say".

I have only wanted to be a fan in my 45 years supporting Argyle and thats how I wish it to end. If you want a greater say, become rich and buy the club or start as an office boy/girl in the general managers office and work yourself up diligently, until one day you may also become general manager and run Argyle.

Simples :greensmile:

Tony, for what it's worth, you are not afraid to speak up in all the open meetings I have been to and always raise good points. You could do a good job as one of the "independents" on the GAS Board in my opinion :whistle:

Kevin,

You are very kind even though I sense an impish grin being suppressed :greensmile:

In the past week or so I have "engaged" with Argyle in time honoured fashion. I have spoken with James Brent to ensure my Guildhall offering could be properly heard this time by him:), had an excellent exchange of emails with the Stadium Manager; have spoken to some other senior staff members with particular requests. All have been conducted respectfully and beneficially as such requests have always been handled by the excellent staff at Argyle. Importantly, all have been dealt with swiftly with nothing taking more than a couple of days.

True engagement is having direct contact and both parties happily agreeing to the contact.

Im not so sure Id like to delegate that to an unknown 3rd party to raise (or not) in 2 months time at the next meeting of the Gas Board.

Call me picky, but as I dont belong to any 3rd party grouping as geographically there is nothing near me I have always found it easier to do things for myself. But as I have said elsewhere, lets wait to see the detail, but as things stand I can not see how or why I would stand.

Independents have their limits.

:greensmile:

COYGs

Kevin Gollop

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
tonycholwell":eyi0qjqb said:
Kevin,

You are very kind even though I sense an impish grin being suppressed :greensmile:

In the past week or so I have "engaged" with Argyle in time honoured fashion. I have spoken with James Brent to ensure my Guildhall offering could be properly heard this time by him:), had an excellent exchange of emails with the Stadium Manager; have spoken to some other senior staff members with particular requests. All have been conducted respectfully and beneficially as such requests have always been handled by the excellent staff at Argyle. Importantly, all have been dealt with swiftly with nothing taking more than a couple of days.

True engagement is having direct contact and both parties happily agreeing to the contact.

Im not so sure Id like to delegate that to an unknown 3rd party to raise (or not) in 2 months time at the next meeting of the Gas Board.

Call me picky, but as I dont belong to any 3rd party grouping as geographically there is nothing near me I have always found it easier to do things for myself. But as I have said elsewhere, lets wait to see the detail, but as things stand I can not see how or why I would stand.

Independents have their limits.

:greensmile:

COYGs

Impish grin as I can tell you love a good commitee meeting! Seriously though, you've demonstrated an ability to constructively question/criticise the big names in front of hundreds of people on many occasions. Constructive critism is what the GASB will be all about, and as your reply shows you are not afraid to do that. Of course, as well as the GASB, I do hope that the club will open to constructive critism and suggestions to all supporters on a daily basis. With JB running the show I am confident this will be the case.