Why do the GT's have a spot on the 'GAS' Board? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Why do the GT's have a spot on the 'GAS' Board?

• Thread starter A_Proverbial_Avocado
  • Start date
A

Anonymous

'Good mates' - Let's have a look eh?

One from the Trust, that could be Woz, he's met with JB quite a few times, does that make him a mate?

One from the Supporters Groups, that could be Keith Bulley, he's me with JB, does that make him a mate?

One from the GT's, well, you've already hinted at that one.

Then four independents.

How about you Charlie, Ian De Lar, Andy Symons and Gob, that would be a good cross mix wouldn't it?

You see, that's how it would work. People, instead of simply typing stuff, get off their arses and stand above the parapet, and then go for it.

I can't seen anything at all wrong with this idea, and even those most democratic of people can't moan can they?

A

Anonymous

Charlie Wood":3i9pxlid said:
Who's on Greg's committee, Chris? Am I, because if so I would be interested, what's the nomination process? The thought of the GAS board consisting of "good mates" who are, in some way or other, close to Brent fills me with despair. I'd much rather the Trust had the lead role though, I'm quite happy for them to be my conduit.

Charlie - from previous posts GregCampbell... Has indicated that he/she is already involved in a supporters group. Hence my question.

I won't hold my breath on an apology.

Jul 17, 2008
Calstock
It's a pity that this discussion has mostly focussed on personality. It shouldn't be about that. We should be ensuring that the structure of the GASBoard is right.

There is no denying that the role of the GTs in saving the club was enormous. You can either go all conspiracy theorist and say that they are a mysterious secret organisation or, on the other hand, simply say that they have gone about their jobs quietly, not seeking the limelight. There should be no question, though, that they have put a lot into the club. One of the GTs elsewhere said that the GTs are anyone who got off their backside and volunteered to do something. Sounds good to me!

Firstly, and for me, the most obvious statement. Any place on this body simply cannot be a reward for past good behaviour.

The very fluid membership of anyone who volunteers to do something seems, in its present form, to be inappropriate to qualify them to having a fans' representative. I do see though that there are moves afoot for the GTs to make themselves into a legally incorporated body. Let's see what develops from that.

Also, the discussion should be about not just this year's GASBoard but next year's and the one after etc.... Unless the membership of the board is open and accountable then not only do we lay ourselves open to having non-representative people in a fairly important position but that the job is merely one for the boys either in actuality or in perception. That would be a pity for the fans, the club and for the honest and hard-working GTs.

A

Anonymous

Great post knecht and I agree with most of it.

My problem is, within months, if not weeks, the 'oh you're now one of the establishment' comments will kick in.

The CP'ers suffered from that, and no doubt the GASB will as well.

Nov 27, 2009
Plymouth.
IJN":189bhnfd said:
Great post knecht and I agree with most of it.

My problem is, within months, if not weeks, the 'oh you're now one of the establishment' comments will kick in.The CP'ers suffered from that, and no doubt the GASB will as well.

So what ? I would hope anyone worthy of a place on GAS would have the integrity to rise above that.

If they could not and got involved at that level they are not right for the role anyway.

I worry that the respect some on here have earned is undone when this happens on here.

A

Anonymous

Shane, Charlie above, used the word 'mates'.

In other words, those that have had contact with JB.

How does anyone avoid becoming, what Charlie would call 'mates'?

Jul 17, 2008
Calstock
How does one avoid accusations of getting anywhere simply by being one of the "mates"? By going through a rigorous and open election process. That ought to both still the accusations or even the reality of it being not what you can actually bring to the table but rather who you know. With all due respect to the achievements of the GTs, I can't see their process of accountability at the moment. I do fear that it appears to have been simply another "thank you" from Mr Brent and that isn't enough.

A

Anonymous

Rather than a thank you, it could simply mean that JB wants them there as they should have a say in anything to do with fundraising or commerciality.

Let's face it, any Tom, Dick or Trust would have lcomparatively ittle to contribute on that front would they?

'Fields of expertise' might well be in JB's thinking on this one.

As I say, I can well see the GT's refusing this offer, as it's not their bag, so we should, perhaps wait and see,

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":1v4ao5pk said:
Rather than a thank you, it could simply mean that JB wants them there as they should have a say in anything to do with fundraising or commerciality.

Let's face it, any Tom, Dick or Trust would have lcomparatively ittle to contribute on that front would they?

'Fields of expertise' might well be in JB's thinking on this one.

As I say, I can well see the GT's refusing this offer, as it's not their bag, so we should, perhaps wait and see,
This is the point I was making much simplified.

From what I know of the GTs, their game is far more helping the club rather than getting too bogged down in this kind of politics.

TCM

Jun 7, 2011
i would imagine its mr brents call how the gas board will work or who it will include,,any more news on that?

M

MoistVonLipwig

When will more deatil of the GAS board idea be available?

Jan 31, 2005
South Devon
www.pafc.co.uk
There's a fascinating paradox here - how long can an independent supporter remain an independent supporter when they start to engage with the club on a formal (or quasi-formal) basis?

I think that largely, we are in agreement that it is a good thing for supporters to have a degree of influence within the club, but as ever with the way of the world, the Devil is truly in the detail.

Do the GT's lose their 'fan' status because they have been active in raising monies for the club?

Of course the Fan's Trust does represent the fans of Plymouth Argyle - but only those that see their views publicly replicated...

Should Pasoti, ATD or a.n.other virtual supporter's club have a real-life voice? If so, given the variance of subsequent posts to any given thread whose would that voice belong to?

Perhaps each individual Fan's representatives need only be involved for the relatively short-term? It may help to keep a more distant relationship, but the need to 'bring people up to speed' & resultant lack of consistency may be too much of a problem?

I am genuinely unsure as to the best way forward - & I've got a firm opinion on everything - but I am certain of two things:
1. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but
2. The need for a set of fans to act as a critical friend is a given.

Blimey - damned if you don't....... etc

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
JonB":1wftby8a said:
There's a fascinating paradox here - how long can an independent supporter remain an independent supporter when they start to engage with the club on a formal (or quasi-formal) basis?

I think that largely, we are in agreement that it is a good thing for supporters to have a degree of influence within the club, but as ever with the way of the world, the Devil is truly in the detail.

Do the GT's lose their 'fan' status because they have been active in raising monies for the club?

Of course the Fan's Trust does represent the fans of Plymouth Argyle - but only those that see their views publicly replicated...

Should Pasoti, ATD or a.n.other virtual supporter's club have a real-life voice? If so, given the variance of subsequent posts to any given thread whose would that voice belong to?

Perhaps each individual Fan's representatives need only be involved for the relatively short-term? It may help to keep a more distant relationship, but the need to 'bring people up to speed' & resultant lack of consistency may be too much of a problem?

I am genuinely unsure as to the best way forward - & I've got a firm opinion on everything - but I am certain of two things:
1. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but
2. The need for a set of fans to act as a critical friend is a given.

Blimey - damned if you don't....... etc

Thought provoking Jon, as ever.

In response, I would say:

1. I am independent and will remain so.

2. The only person I try to please is my wife (I can modestly say its a huge esuccess as those who have met her can and may testify:))

3. Critical friend? Absolute given and I will continue on this path.

Oh, a committee? No thanks.

May 19, 2010
Chris - what have i got to apoloigise for ? dont recall having a dig at anyone.....

as for 'my group' i hope the branch i am part of will nominate someone to stand. i will be sorting that out in the coming days.

A

Anonymous

GregCampbellFanClub":i4pjvghj said:
Chris - what have i got to apoloigise for ? dont recall having a dig at anyone.....

as for 'my group' i hope the branch i am part of will nominate someone to stand. i will be sorting that out in the coming days.

The comment about apology was aimed at Charlie not you for him wrongly assuming I was digging at you.

Seems strange though that as someone who plays a role in a supporters branch and has commented on being a committee member in the past that you chose not to disclose your identity on an Argyle forum.

Hardly an advert for transparency for your branch is it?