GAS board update | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

GAS board update

Jul 17, 2008
Calstock
tonycholwell":324mshfk said:
Still, lets see where it takes us and hope clarification is forthcoming. I have a feeling some confusion may follow David Wheelers lack of plain English.

He's a senior academic. We're lucky he's not a civil servant! :)

If the meeting before the Dagger's home game is to start at 12:00 (and, in my experience, meetings rarely start promptly or keep to the subject) surely, even allowing for the usual meeting issues, 2 hours or more ought to be enough.

If attendees are limited to 15 and those who are considering standing as individuals are able to attend, how will numbers be limited should the need arise?

A

Anonymous

The involvement of Professor David Wheeler in the consultative process and the evolution of the the mission and constitution of the GAS Board is most welcome. Hopefully, the commitment to transparency and independence will reassure the suspicious and doubtful.

Despite some of the unnecessary 'management speak' the process does offer the opportunity to properly constitute a supervisory body that can hold the main Board to account.

However, to properly fulfill that role I would constructively suggest that some further clarification is required.

Is the whole process, including the final recommendation to the main Board to adopt, to be within the gift of Professor Wheeler, including if necessary elections supervised by a body such as the university (rather then the Trust)?

The process seems unnecessarily dependent on Internet access. It is imperative that the process is advertised wider than just on the official PAFC website and Pasoti. It has long been debated that perhaps a minority of supporters regularly use these mediums for Argyle information. I assume the intention is to broadcast the process on Sparksy and the Herald / WMN / Independent but a statement of intent to do this would be welcomed as would a Pre-match announcement or leaflet explanation for the game on Tuesday night.

I would hope the limit to 15 attendees is not an absolute for the first meeting. It is more important that the fullest individual and group representation is achieved and that may mean an expansion to numbers. It shouldn't mean an unwieldy meeting as long as it is appropriately
Chaired.

Finally, whose decision will it be whether an individual or a group are appropriate to attend. For instance we could have more than one person claiming to represent the season ticket holders. Can more than one person legitimately representing a group attend the initial meeting? Would anyone claiming to represent a supporter's website be welcome to attend?

I reiterate that I fully welcome the first moves to a supervisory board which could be the first in the Football League and if properly constituted with a wide and embracing representation could become a milestone and benchmark in supporter representation. It is just that in the first instance a little more clarification may be helpful

A

Andy_Lannie

esmer":2guyu3qp said:
IJN":2guyu3qp said:
http://www.pafc.co.uk/page/PresidentsProgress/0,,10364~2606844,00.html
Any chance of a translation?
I have to agree. It's a football club and not an academic institution.

Own goal here, he might like football but he doesn't know how to communicate. I'm surprised it was posted on the official web site without someone questioning it. Elitist to say the least.

Oct 2, 2011
Home Park
Andy_Lannie":2zwwmgsq said:
esmer":2zwwmgsq said:
IJN":2zwwmgsq said:

Own goal here, he might like football but he doesn't know how to communicate. I'm surprised it was posted on the official web site without someone questioning it. Elitist to say the least.

Is that not the reason why we are being offered the chance to email questions? I'm sure there will also be more updates. Give the guy a chance. Much like Mr Brent, I actually welcome the fact that we have involvement from somebody outside of the Football world. That way we may actually see something groundbreaking and innovative put together.

A

Andy_Lannie

Cracker":2lxr7qy9 said:
Andy_Lannie":2lxr7qy9 said:
esmer":2lxr7qy9 said:
IJN":2lxr7qy9 said:

Is that not the reason why we are being offered the chance to email questions? I'm sure there will also be more updates. Give the guy a chance. Much like Mr Brent, I actually welcome the fact that we have involvement from somebody outside of the Football world. That way we may actually see something groundbreaking and innovative put together.
Having outside involvement is a very good idea but when someone, tongue in cheek, asks for a translation then you know that your message could be misunderstood or not understood at all.

Oct 2, 2011
Home Park
Andy_Lannie":3ao49xxi said:
Cracker":3ao49xxi said:
Andy_Lannie":3ao49xxi said:
esmer":3ao49xxi said:
IJN":3ao49xxi said:

Having outside involvement is a very good idea but when someone, tongue in cheek, asks for a translation then you know that your message could be misunderstood or not understood at all.

Isn't this the same guy that failed to understand that Kevin Heaney had no money and therefore was never going to buy the Club?

From Graham Clark -The process seems unnecessarily dependent on Internet access. It is imperative that the process is advertised wider than just on the official PAFC website and Pasoti. It has long been debated that perhaps a minority of supporters regularly use these mediums for Argyle information. I assume the intention is to broadcast the process on Sparksy and the Herald / WMN / Independent but a statement of intent to do this would be welcomed as would a Pre-match announcement or leaflet explanation for the game on Tuesday night.

From Thai Green - Well said Graham, a point I made a long time ago was communication other than the internet, you have said what I think.,(but put it far better). Thank you. :thumbs:

A

Anonymous

It is a problem and that's for sure. There are more fans off the internet than on it.

I can remember Webby and I talking to fans at the Oxford away game earlier this year, and we were astounded at the lack of understanding of what had gone on and what was going on (at that time).

It IS imperative that people recognise that there are normal fans, who attend matches, read the Herald and BBC news, and that is it, nothing else.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Hence my idea of a regular GAS Board column in the Herald sponsored by a local gas supplier. The word gets out to normal fans, the Herald gets some cash and the gas company has some advertising and a link with PAFC. :thumbs:

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
This has been a problem for a long time, the problem is how many fans still buy the Herald, I reluctantly still get it but I know of a lot of people have stop taken the paper, a couple of months ago it put its price up from 40p to 45p, the Herald is now only a shadow of the paper I used to know, over the past few years it has become not much better than some of the free papers.

At present if you took Pasoti out of the equation there would next to no news on Argyle.

One of the priorities of the GASB should be to look at ways how to communicate with more of the public.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
May I suggest a subscription based leaflet that could be sent out to those interested. I think a lot of not for profit organizations do something like this where by those interested put their names forward to the organization with their prefered method of communication and the organizations sends out a weekly/monthly/quarterly update to its subscribers, I currently get a regular email from the FA about their recent activities, future schemes and England ticket updates...

This could be advertised in the match day programme, the Herald, OS, Pasoti etc. giving contact details to subscribe to the updates from the GAS board. That way all those intersted would be regularly updated and if it reaches enough people via the media or via Argyle then it would hopefully be reaching a large proportion of the fan base.

The only problems I see with it is the financial cost of sending out leaflets, newsletters or emails and the time it will take to set up such a system. Maybe adverts would have to be a part of the newsletter to cover the cost of delivery and production. It would also be a big task to get the word out about the newsletter but then again if anyone reading about the GAS board in the Herald for example were to then see at the bottom of the column a (FREE) subsription and they were interested in further updates they would presumably consider subscribing.

Dec 6, 2011
tonycholwell":1mpn6hze said:
PL2 3DQ":1mpn6hze said:
The original plan was to have a representative from the Green Taverners, The Trust and the various supporters groups plus four independent fans. Unless I've read it wrong, the emphasis is now on the groups rather than the independents?
An exciting and unchartered time for PAFC and football.

Im afraid thats how I read it as well Posty.

Still, lets see where it takes us and hope clarification is forthcoming. I have a feeling some confusion may follow David Wheelers lack of plain English.

I will try to answer the questions one by one on this thread then slip back into semi-retirement: pasoti wise.

I think what we are going to get with David Wheeler is a blank canvas. He has James Brents proposal but also wants to engage with supporters further to see if that is the best way forward. This includes groups and individuals so I see nothing to fear, whichever bracket you fall into.

Dec 6, 2011
knecht":26wyu51q said:
tonycholwell":26wyu51q said:

He's a senior academic. We're lucky he's not a civil servant! :)

If the meeting before the Dagger's home game is to start at 12:00 (and, in my experience, meetings rarely start promptly or keep to the subject) surely, even allowing for the usual meeting issues, 2 hours or more ought to be enough.

If attendees are limited to 15 and those who are considering standing as individuals are able to attend, how will numbers be limited should the need arise?

It isn't a meeting to discuss anything more than 'who are the people that need to be taken into account when putting together proposal(s) for how the GASB maybe made up'.....So two hours and 15 attendees will be plenty. You will note that when the real detail is going to be discussed, further meetings are planned.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Mr President":3bs1xjeu said:
tonycholwell":3bs1xjeu said:
PL2 3DQ":3bs1xjeu said:
The original plan was to have a representative from the Green Taverners, The Trust and the various supporters groups plus four independent fans. Unless I've read it wrong, the emphasis is now on the groups rather than the independents?
An exciting and unchartered time for PAFC and football.

Im afraid thats how I read it as well Posty.

I will try to answer the questions one by one on this thread then slip back into semi-retirement: pasoti wise.

I think what we are going to get with David Wheeler is a blank canvas. He has James Brents proposal but also wants to engage with supporters further to see if that is the best way forward. This includes groups and individuals so I see nothing to fear, whichever bracket you fall into.

Perhaps it was use of language that cunningly managed to confuse most of us:)

That and the meeting restricted to 15. Any wiggle room there Chris? Once supporters groups are in there may not be enough room for the independents thinking of standing.