RIP Dave MacLaren. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

RIP Dave MacLaren.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Yes Dave was very good in the air.That was his strength in my book.Always remember him wearing a flat cap.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
First keeper I saw and my favourite with big Jim Furnell. RIP.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Yes my first keeper too. I would be too young to have been able to appraise him as a keeper in comparison to others that have played for us, however as he played in my first ever game at HP his name brings back great memories.

RIP.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Very sorry to hear this sad news, condolences to the family for someone who was a firm favourite among Argyle fans in the early sixties.

First game I saw at HP was versus Cardiff City on Boxing Day 1962. My abiding memories of that game are Argyle losing 2-1 at half time but winning 4-2 and of Dave MacLaren sorting out their CF, Derek Tapscott, who had a reputation for roughing up the opposition goalkeeper. The ball came over from a corner at the Devonport End and 3 or 4 players went up for the ball and when they came down, Tapscott was on the floor spitting out blood after Dave MacLaren caught him with a well-disguised punch.

He was a quality keeper but Malcolm Allison didn't rate him and he moved on.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
RIP, Dave.

I certainly remember him as a very fine goalkeeper in my teenage years watching Argyle.

As stated, John Leiper was in the Argyle squad at the same time as Dave and I often see him going past us at the back of the grandstand on the way to his seat. I have wondered, occasionally, when 'argyleapf' contributes on here whether that is John's pseudonym.

However, I did note that 'argyleapf' made a complimentary comment on the recent Argyle Old Boys thread about Dave McLaren that referred to his 'early days as a supporter' so I guess that dispels my notion.

John Squire":258101af said:
dunlop":258101af said:
Green as Grass":258101af said:
Dave MacLaren was a class act. In my 65 years supporting Plymouth Argyle I have not seen a better Argyle goalkeeper.

That's some praise. :thumbup:

How I agree with that!! In my support of Argyle since a young boy in 1957, I can recall 'big' Dave Maclaren dominating his area. A big man with a big amount of talent. One of the best keepers ever at Home Park.

RIP Dave.

I must agree with my bro' !!

When I was a very young lad at Home Park, he always appeared a BIG guy to we smaller folk [well EVERYBODY was] but a soft, gently spoken man.

Sad miss

RIP - soft, gentle guy !

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Feb 15, 2005
Plymouth
As we new it was expected but still sad to hear of the loss. It does sound as if it was a release from a lot of pain.
A great Argyle legend.
:nworthy: