Joe Mason available for loan (gone for a Burton) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Joe Mason available for loan (gone for a Burton)

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
He's way way out of our price range.
If Carey's our top earner then triple that to get to Masons wage.
Can see him coming home eventually but not this time

Nov 9, 2008
Supposed to be on 16k a week. Even if we offered 25% that's 4K. Most he what Carey is on or around that so I would say it's a no go

May 8, 2011
TPG Extreme":kvl6b9q8 said:
Supposed to be on 16k a week. Even if we offered 25% that's 4K. Most he what Carey is on or around that so I would say it's a no go

Just need to get his local, The Cherry Tree to sponsor him and help with the wages.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
HC Green":355dnys0 said:
TPG Extreme":355dnys0 said:

Just need to get his local, The Cherry Tree to sponsor him and help with the wages.

If that figure is correct as a wage, I reckon it could be more than a week's takings at the pub including a home game Saturday.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
TPG Extreme":3pw6dvv8 said:

If we could get a player of his standard for 4k a week I'd say we'd be daft not to! However, I would think he would cost a fair bit more than that, unfortunately.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
A lot may depend on how much is left in the budget, better to get Mason and pay a chunk of his wages than pay 2 lots of wages and take a chance on 2 players that we've never heard of.

Oct 24, 2013
Don't get your logic Pilgrim. Players we have never heard of are likely to be young, hungry players on loan desperate to prove themselves at L1 level. Would rather that than Mason who, being honest, has never really pulled up any trees at a higher level, given the opportunity. I personally would rather have two Callum Dyson types, than one Joe Mason.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
lyndhurst green":373k3o4y said:
Don't get your logic Pilgrim. Players we have never heard of are likely to be young, hungry players on loan desperate to prove themselves at L1 level. Would rather that than Mason who, being honest, has never really pulled up any trees at a higher level, given the opportunity. I personally would rather have two Callum Dyson types, than one Joe Mason.

Fair point, personally I'd rather have one Mason (local boy returning to his home club with a point to prove) than take the chance on 2 unknown loan players. For every Joe Bryan/Craig Tanner/Hiram Boateng (1st time) we've had there have probably been 2 Kenny Cooper/Garita/Nardiello who have taken up wages and not actually done anything.
I think you may be thinking more in line with Derek Adams though and I'd expect us to get in a couple of younger players.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
The-Pilgrim":3r8f4iwz said:
lyndhurst green":3r8f4iwz said:

Fair point, personally I'd rather have one Mason (local boy returning to his home club with a point to prove) than take the chance on 2 unknown loan players. For every Joe Bryan/Craig Tanner/Hiram Boateng (1st time) we've had there have probably been 2 Kenny Cooper/Garita/Nardiello who have taken up wages and not actually done anything.
I think you may be thinking more in line with Derek Adams though and I'd expect us to get in a couple of younger players.

He said about young hungry players with a point to prove.. 2 of the 3 that didn't work out that you just named were both players with experience. I would also argue that Garita was pretty decent until his injury, and just wasn't the same player after. I'm struggling to think of one young loanee we've had over recent years who hasn't made an impact, apart from Luke Croll, who had a lot of family issues at the time.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
The-Pilgrim":ew3zicid said:

I expect that Derek Adams is much more objective in his selection of players he targets other than being an ex-player fan-favourite.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
LeonTheGreen":1b63jadj said:
The-Pilgrim":1b63jadj said:
lyndhurst green":1b63jadj said:

He said about young hungry players with a point to prove.. 2 of the 3 that didn't work out that you just named were both players with experience. I would also argue that Garita was pretty decent until his injury, and just wasn't the same player after. I'm struggling to think of one young loanee we've had over recent years who hasn't made an impact, apart from Luke Croll, who had a lot of family issues at the time.
Tom Flanagan

Mar 21, 2008
Argy1e":23w61bkx said:
LeonTheGreen":23w61bkx said:
The-Pilgrim":23w61bkx said:
lyndhurst green":23w61bkx said:

Tom Flanagan

Yep good one that, I'd put Enoch Showunmi, Johnny Gorman (remember him?!), and Craig Sutherland in there too as failing to make an impact, in fact even failing to remember that they ever even played here. There are also many, many others you could list as simply failing

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Rob_GT4":o2ik63ah said:
Argy1e":o2ik63ah said:
LeonTheGreen":o2ik63ah said:
The-Pilgrim":o2ik63ah said:
lyndhurst green":o2ik63ah said:

Tom Flanagan

Yep good one that, I'd put Enoch Showunmi, Johnny Gorman (remember him?!), and Craig Sutherland in there too as failing to make an impact, in fact even failing to remember that they ever even played here. There are also many, many others you could list as simply failing

And Cillian Sheridan, now playing overseas.

Oct 24, 2013
Isn't is only fair that we limit the list of failures to those within DA's tenure? Seeing as the question was whether to pursue Mason or one or two younger loan players, think you need to assess this against DA's scouting knowledge and coaching abilities. Not really fair to point out that Cillian Sheridan failing when on loan in 2010 is the reason we shouldn't pursue a loan signing now!