Isaac Vassell | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Isaac Vassell

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Ade the green":xu9fcfe1 said:
I don't know if you can use Bolasie and Mason in the same argument as Vassell. Bolasie came to us after he had had a stop start previously but when we sold him it was to a league side. Joe Mason, whilst coming through our academy did have his chance in the first team albeit briefly before he was again sold on but neither left Argyle for non-league only to be picked up and set on his pro career. In Isaac Vassell's case, he was never given a chance but once Luton picked him up from Truro he has gone from strength to strength and whilst I don't know how much they got for him both Truro and Luton have benefitted financially from one of what might have been a starlet.

Whether this reflects badly on us depends on whether it was a short termism brought on by administration and recovery that enforced the position on us and whether we learn from our mistakes and do right by players such as Battle, Fletcher and Sangster. Ask again once these players have or have not been given a proper chance.

I read a Tweet last night from former Truro manager Steve Tully who was surprisingly sacked last summer just after Truro made the Conference South playoffs.

He has said that he'd begged Truro's owners to put Vassell on a contract. For whatever reason they refused, he left on a free last summer so by the sounds of it Truro got zero reward for their input into Vassell's development.

As sad as I am that Truro lost out because of their owners incompetence and pig headedness it's good to see Steve Tully get one over on them yet again after being treated so badly after doing so well down here.

Aug 15, 2015
That's Vassell, Leonard and Morrison we have let go of now! Each player is worth in the millions now. I believe Cardiff rejected a £3 million bid recently from another side that escapes me right now.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Deacster":36i15pm9 said:
Remember seeing him away to Cheltenham in the dark days, came on as a sub and hit the woodwork and was obvious he had something and clearly was a mistake letting him go. In the opposite regard, Young and Harvey saw much more game time and were released and it seems right my so. You win some, you lose some.

I was at that game as well. Went with a few non Argyle supporting mates. They all clocked him as a talent. He was the only player that caught their eye. I always felt we let him go too early. Meh

Apr 4, 2004
I find it unbelievable that nobody at Argyle could see he was a real prospect. I would like to think that someone at the club will be facing some tough questions as Vassell goes down as yet another one that got away. Do we have any coaches at Argyle that possess the necessary judgement and knowledge concerning the development of young players. We are missing out on vital income over and over. We are desperately looking for a forward and a player that could and should be ours is playing for Harry Redknapp in the championship. The difficulty we have attracting players to the club due to our unique location issues should be a big driving force for us to tap into the local talent. Which is there in abundance. But once again we have shot ourselves in the foot. Please will somebody sort out our clubs youth department.

Aug 5, 2016
2 things:
Vassell filled out very late. I barely recognised him when I saw him playing for Truro after seeing the short scrawny kid who played for Argyle.

The other thing is he's done nothing for Birmingham yet. They've spent big money but was Vassell one of the best strikers in League Two? Not for me. It's a big step up.

Time will tell. If he doesn't do a lot at Birmingham he will still only have a handful of League Two goals of note on his CV. It's hardly as if we had Andre Gray under our noses the whole time.

Apr 4, 2004
Lots of youngsters don't physically mature under till late. But football is a game of talent isn't it? His footballing ability and raw talent has always been there, even before he matured. Surely you can't be saying that success or failure depends solely on how your body develops. That's a depressing thought if that's how clubs think.
Yes he's unproven, but the fee Luton got could have boosted our coffers and our reputation as a club that brings on youngsters.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
ming the merciless":3p3gz2ud said:
I find it unbelievable that nobody at Argyle could see he was a real prospect. I would like to think that someone at the club will be facing some tough questions as Vassell goes down as yet another one that got away. Do we have any coaches at Argyle that possess the necessary judgement and knowledge concerning the development of young players. We are missing out on vital income over and over. We are desperately looking for a forward and a player that could and should be ours is playing for Harry Redknapp in the championship. The difficulty we have attracting players to the club due to our unique location issues should be a big driving force for us to tap into the local talent. Which is there in abundance. But once again we have shot ourselves in the foot. Please will somebody sort out our clubs youth department.
I agree 100% that our record with giving local talent a real chance is not the best. I am not as up as I could be on the comings and goings from Home Park since the post-Sturrock (2) era. But without the facts to back me up I have still felt fairly comfortable that we have made few mistakes when releasing players. So I am alarmed when you use the term "yet another one that got away." I think we have to exclude the lads who were sold/released to keep us afloat - eg Reda Johnson, Bolasie, Noone, Stephens and the lad who went to Liverpool (Jones?). Mason too was a forced sale? But who else has been released that has (or maybe will) bit us in the backside.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Watched him last night score the winner against Wednesday. Funnily enough while we're struggling in the striker department, Birmingham had 3 players with Argyle connections play the lone striker role during the game.

May 22, 2006
The day after Harry Redknapp got sacked he was on the radio. Usual stuff about not being given enough time; injuries to key players etc. He really did big up Vassell, saying what a great player he is and that he would 'definitely be playing in the Premier League within the next three seasons.'

Shades of Bolasie? We shall see. Good luck to him anyway.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Put this team together the other day of our young talent that we had who have gone on to better things.

Christian Walton,
Jack Stephens,
Lloyd Jones,
Sean Morrison,
Curtis Nelson,
Ryan Leonard,
Dan Gosling,
Scott Laird,
Joe Mason,
Sam Gallagher,
Isaac Vassell.

Yannick Bolasie/Craig Noone to a certain degree...