PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
IJN":9t2ibwt0 said:
On hot August day, we had a meeting with JB at a Business Centre in Stoke, there were about ten Argyle fans at that meeting when we were told there was a 10% chance of surviving it. All of us fans were tearful.

Anyone that says that now, is a fool. I've known Loyal 1970 for about 40 years and he's talking through his backside.

I remember it well. The mood was very sombre because JB had just a 10% chance of taking over and the club was on the brink of folding.
We had already notified the Football League that we may not be able to fullfil our League Two fixtures for that season.
The meeting was dominated by talk of a phoenix club rising up from the ashes and what stadium could be used for this new team. Advice was sought from the Football League of what tier of the league pyramid system an AFC Argyle could play in.

Not many companies, if any at all, could have organised getting over 400 documents signed and money transferred in just four weeks as Akkeron did to get the deal over the line and keep PAFC alive.

It's easy to forget all that now and come out with crass statements like Loyal 1970 has made which is an insult to the many people who fought and suffered to keep the club alive.

May 16, 2016
Surely, if anyone is dissatisfied with the current version and their perceived future of Argyle, or have vowed to never step foot up 'that Club' until (insert own hate figure) has gone, never to be seen again, will never be happy, or just needs something to campaign against, then why not form a peoples revolutionary new Club ?

Ticks all the boxes, your own Club, the 'Pheonix Theory' can be proved. You set the policies and agendas, run it in your own way. Make new friends and comedy named enemies. Create a new history and stick it to the man.

FC United of Manchester springs to mind, not an impossible dream really. Just got to spend a few months arguing over the name first.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The Duke":10qw02tk said:
Lundan Cabbie":10qw02tk said:
Martin":10qw02tk said:
So if James Brent was so concerned about getting in additional income into PAFC as soon as possible, why find he saddle the club with the for personal profit hybrid scheme that is now likely to delay the PAFC planning application?
Martin

The grandstand refurb alone will not bring in the significant increase in income that is desired. The hotel multiplies the turnover potential many times and WILL benefit the club. The city wants the ice rink and JB is committed to deliver one. The rest of the stuff on HHP is going to finance it. Is that too difficult to understand?

I didn’t realise it was an Argyle owned hotel!! The restaurants and Ice rink will be in direct competition with Argyle. It’s very clear.

The hotel doesn't have to be owned by the club for Argyle to benefit from it being on site in the same way that the club benefit from bus companies serving the area around HP without the club having an owning interest. As for the restaurants and food outlets, I was at Home Park last weekend and they were offering very little in refeshments beyond a nuked pasty and instant coffee. They are hardly going to be out of pocket if these third parties took ALL of the business.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
PL2 3DQ":2v4jy11r said:
IJN":2v4jy11r said:
On hot August day, we had a meeting with JB at a Business Centre in Stoke, there were about ten Argyle fans at that meeting when we were told there was a 10% chance of surviving it. All of us fans were tearful.

Anyone that says that now, is a fool. I've known Loyal 1970 for about 40 years and he's talking through his backside.

I remember it well. The mood was very sombre because JB had just a 10% chance of taking over and the club was on the brink of folding.
We had already notified the Football League that we may not be able to fullfil our League Two fixtures for that season.
The meeting was dominated by talk of a phoenix club rising up from the ashes and what stadium could be used for this new team. Advice was sought from the Football League of what tier of the league pyramid system an AFC Argyle could play in.

Not many companies, if any at all, could have organised getting over 400 documents signed and money transferred in just four weeks as Akkeron did to get the deal over the line and keep PAFC alive.

It's easy to forget all that now and come out with crass statements like Loyal 1970 has made which is an insult to the many people who fought and suffered to keep the club alive.
Those two posts should be stickied .... forever.

Jan 21, 2017
I wonder how long we have to remain so grateful that criticism is not acceptable? What are the pro chairman fans red lines? Maybe there aren't any?
All many of us want is a better deal for PAFC than is being offered, and not content to roll over because he saved us years ago!

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

In short Martin, substance.

Despite nobody actually knowing our budget, nor the percentage of available finance being spent on the playing squad, we are constantly hearing about how we are 'punching above our weight' and 'not spending enough'.

The only 'evidence', and I use that word extremely loosely, is the current form and league position. Yet let's not forget Louis Van Gaal had one of the largest budgets in world football and still failed at Manchester United.

Whilst I can see why people may be frustrated at the time it took us to get promoted from League Two, let's not forget that this club has improved in terms of the league every year under James Brent. Quite frankly, with that in mind, another guaranteed year of improvement this season and as mentioned, no evidence to suggest foul play or poor performance on his part, I'm still struggling to see why Brent is so unpopular with some.

Jan 21, 2017
Ok Frazer, a far more accepted scenario would be this.
James Brent would develop the Grandstand, conference facilities, food outlets, hotel (if needed) etc under the ownership of Argyle. Meaning all profit goes to the club. The value of the club would increase and when Mr Brent sells his profit is realise accordingly. The club would continue to benefit from land and subsequent development that was always part of the club. No problem with a profit for the outgoing chairman, and neither are the club renting a gym, losing potential revenue from associated facilities.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Martin":1lml26qv said:
James Brent would develop the Grandstand, conference facilities, food outlets, hotel (if needed) etc under the ownership of Argyle. Meaning all profit goes to the club. The value of the club would increase and when Mr Brent sells his profit is realise accordingly. The club would continue to benefit from land and subsequent development that was always part of the club. No problem with a profit for the outgoing chairman, and neither are the club renting a gym, losing potential revenue from associated facilities.

You're absolutely correct. Because every football chairman ever has ignored their business and private finances because their football club becomes more important than anything. Remember when Roman Abramovic made himself destitute because he gave every sheckle he owned to Chelsea? Or when Sheik Mahsood became homeless because his club was more important than his family?

I'll make no apology to say I support our owner. Not in a way that I have to thank him for saving our club every single day but because he's done his business in a way that has been honest and not put the club in danger of going into administration again. He has been open in his dealings with the PCC with regards HHP and it's only now when his plans look like coming into fruition that people have started making demands on his profit (if any). If he lost his arse on his rescuing Argyle, how many people would have sympathy for him for even trying.

There's a conscerted effort now to rewrite history when it comes to his being the only person with a plan to rescue us and this is due to having someone on the board who is willing to invest in the Grandstand, as yet there has been no reports of disharmony or that of a power struggle within the board so we should accept that both JB and SH are doing or have done the best that they could for the club. Period.

It's funny how after the carp start of the season and Adams talking about money has made the budget a talking point but shouldn't we remember that every manager JB has had has been supported whenever, whether to stop us being relegated or to push for promotion.

JBs property developement is none of the clubs business so no, he won't sign over the profits to the club. What is being envisaged is a structure to increase non match day revenue which apart from 2 concerts over 2-3 years has not been achieved. I hope all the developments get completed in a time frame that I might enjoy before it's too late.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Martin":iwmci17e said:

So are you going to start a whip round? The club simply do not have the money to do all that.

The house I used to own in Middlesex is now being rented out by the current owner. By your reckoning he/she should be sharing their profit with me because it is on land that I once owned. Can you not see how wrong that would be?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ave_IT":kmrvo4nv said:
PL2 3DQ":kmrvo4nv said:
IJN":kmrvo4nv said:

Those two posts should be stickied .... forever.

The history re-writers have been trying to avoid that fact for many a year Mr It.

Peter Ryan, Graham Clark and I sat down on a kerb, and just looked at each other Peter had tears in his eyes, I walked away as I knew I'd start and I think Graham was like minded.

No matter what people like Loyal 1970 say, and the crap I have flung at me on Social Media, I can remember that day like yesterday and nothing will make me change my mind about what JB did.

Jan 21, 2017
I have not once said anything other than I am grateful to James Brent for taking on the club. However that does not mean I have agree with everything he does now or in the future.
I simply want to see more of the future profit share going to the club, so we can build Year on Year in a prudent fashion!

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
loyal1970":3umq0hgq said:
jimsing":3umq0hgq said:
Martin":3umq0hgq said:
Sorry I cannot help feeling PAFC have been used for JB's personal profit, and it doesn't feel good. Yes he is a business man and a reluctant owner, he is also a reluctant seller so it seems! If only JB would commit 50% of the development profit to the club, keeping 50% for himself, it might feel a whole lot better. Otherwise it smacks of using the club for personal gain.
Martin

I understand what you are saying. It does feel like Brent is taking away from Argyle, rather than adding to it. But you have to remember that if it wasn't for Brent, there would be no Argyle.

His Company bought the Club out of administration. It has separated the Club and put it on a firm footing. It has paid off all the football debt. It has bought the ground from the Council and given it to the Club. It has ensured that we still have a Club to support.

We must thank him for doing this, surely.

His Company still owns Higher Home Park which he now wants to invest in, in order to get a return on his money. Not too much to ask is it?

Some will say Yes, some will say No, but, like it or not, that is the price that we have to pay in order to still have a football Club to support.
we should have started again as Argyle 1886 because having this bloke in charge who aint got the money or ambition to take the club forward is a waste of {Removed by Site Admin - Please watch your language} time.
did you see james brent leap out of his seat when fletch volleyed the equaliser against chelsea?i am convinced he is "into" argyle.we cannot and must not spend money we do not have!we have just signed an exciting player with bags of experience who will help us to at least mid-table in my opinion.this signing is ambitious.

Sep 6, 2006
Steve Evans":1yh5llke said:
loyal1970":1yh5llke said:
jimsing":1yh5llke said:
Martin":1yh5llke said:
Sorry I cannot help feeling PAFC have been used for JB's personal profit, and it doesn't feel good. Yes he is a business man and a reluctant owner, he is also a reluctant seller so it seems! If only JB would commit 50% of the development profit to the club, keeping 50% for himself, it might feel a whole lot better. Otherwise it smacks of using the club for personal gain.
Martin

I understand what you are saying. It does feel like Brent is taking away from Argyle, rather than adding to it. But you have to remember that if it wasn't for Brent, there would be no Argyle.

His Company bought the Club out of administration. It has separated the Club and put it on a firm footing. It has paid off all the football debt. It has bought the ground from the Council and given it to the Club. It has ensured that we still have a Club to support.

We must thank him for doing this, surely.

His Company still owns Higher Home Park which he now wants to invest in, in order to get a return on his money. Not too much to ask is it?

Some will say Yes, some will say No, but, like it or not, that is the price that we have to pay in order to still have a football Club to support.
we should have started again as Argyle 1886 because having this bloke in charge who aint got the money or ambition to take the club forward is a waste of {Removed by Site Admin - Please watch your language} time.
did you see james brent leap out of his seat when fletch volleyed the equaliser against chelsea?i am convinced he is "into" argyle.we cannot and must not spend money we do not have!we have just signed an exciting player with bags of experience who will help us to at least mid-table in my opinion.this signing is ambitious.

So you reckon ONE player will get us from bottom to mid table? wow you are deluded.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Martin":2y0d99px said:
I have not once said anything other than I am grateful to James Brent for taking on the club. However that does not mean I have agree with everything he does now or in the future.
I simply want to see more of the future profit share going to the club, so we can build Year on Year in a prudent fashion!

I was simply answering the mind numbingly stupid comment that we should have liquidated and started a Phoenix club.